Business Analytics, M.S. Program
The Master of Science in Business Analytics (M.S.B.A.) provides students with a balanced and broad set of knowledge and skills in data analytics. This degree offers an in-depth study of advanced information technology used in business analytics. It also provides a comprehensive presentation of quantitative methods and software for business analytics, and develops students’ knowledge and skills in applying analytics to solve business problems.
The M.S.B.A. program prepares students for exciting career opportunities in business analytics, business intelligence, data science, and data engineering.
The M.S. Business Analytics minimum admission requirements include:
- Baccalaureate degree with strong quantitative and computer programming background from an accredited college or university.
- Demonstrated mastery of college algebra, statistics and object-oriented programming with a grade of “C” or better in relevant coursework within 7 years of starting in the program.
- Undergraduate degree with at least 2.5 Grade Point Average (or equivalent).
- Acceptable percentile rankings in verbal and quantitative section of GRE or GMAT. No preference for one test over the other. GRE or GMAT may be waived for applicants with three or more years of solid work experience in IT, quantitative analysis, or a related field verifiable with proof required by the program.
- For International students: demonstrated proof of English proficiency, e.g., TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based) or 79 (internet-based), or IELTS of 6.5 or above.
Note: Admission to the program is selective. Meeting the minimum requirement does not guarantee the admission.
Student Standing and Progress Toward the Degree
There are three categories of student status which reflect student progress toward the degree: “Conditionally Classified Graduate,” “Classified Graduate,” and “Advancement to Candidacy.
- Students achieve “Conditionally Classified Graduate” status when they have been admitted to the MSBA degree program, but have not yet completed the prerequisites for “Classified Graduate” status in the M.S. in Business Analytics degree program.
- Students achieve “Classified Graduate” status when they have satisfactorily completed the prerequisites for “Classified Graduate” status in the M.S. in Business Analytics degree program. (See “Prerequisites for “Classified Graduate Status” below.)
- Students are Advanced to Candidacy when they have completed the 30 semester units meeting the following criteria:
- All have a course grade of “C” or better.
- Have a combined 3.0 grade point average (minimum) in all units taken to satisfy the requirements of the student’s degree program.
- Have no more than 6 units for extension and/or transfer credit (any extension and/or transfer credit must be approved by the Program Director) and/or coursework taken in “Unclassified Post-baccalaureate” status.
- All units earned within the five years immediately preceding the completion of the requirements for the degree.
To be eligible for the MSBA, a student must have been Advanced to Candidacy (see Graduate Information chapter of the catalog)
Note: Students who fail to maintain progress by falling below a 3.0 GPA in their graduate courses for one or more consecutive semesters will be academically disqualified from the university.
Prerequisites for “Classified Graduate” status
- Students must satisfy the University Writing Skill Requirement (UWSR). The UWSR could be met as an undergraduate or graduate student at one of the CSU system campuses, with a score of 4.5 or better on the GMAT/GRE essay, by passing the Writing Skills Test (WST) or through coursework. For information on meeting see the MCC-UDEAN-GRADIR- Graduation Requirement in Writing Proficiency [GRADUATE](GDRP)(GRAD) link, or contact the Testing Office at 510.885.3661.
- Students must satisfactorily complete BAN 601 - Technology Fundamentals for Analytics with a grade of “B-” or better. Student can request to have this prerequisite waived.
- Students must satisfactorily complete BAN 602 - Quantitative Fundamentals for Analytics with a grade of “B-” or better. Student can request to have this prerequisite waived.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students who graduate with a Master of Science in Business Analytics will be able to:
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge and skills in using business analytics technology and applications.
- Build expertise in quantitative methods and tools for business analytics.
- Develop data analytics skills in making effective business decisions.
- Develop effective written communication skills in conveying project ideas, activities, and findings.
Business Analytics Degree Requirements (30 units)
Complete the following six (6) courses for 18 units:
Select three (3) courses from the following for 9 units:
The Business Analytics Capstone Project for 3 units is required for all MSBA students:
Other Graduate & Post-Baccalaureate Degree Requirements
In addition to departmental requirements, every student must also satisfy the University requirements for graduation as described throughout this catalog. These include the 70% unit residence requirement; the five-year rule on currency of subject matter; the minimum number of units in 600-level courses; the “C” minimum grade for each graduate course; the 3.00 cumulative grade point average; and the University Writing Skills Requirement.
Note: For information on meeting the University Writing Skills Requirement, see Graduate Policies or call the Testing Office at (510) 885-3661.