Certificate Requirements (15 units)
The eLearning Design certificate is designed to prepare and empower educators, instructors, trainers, staff, aspiring professionals, and other professionals to effectively design online courses and learning modules in a wide variety of fields including higher education, K-12, corporate training and various public and private industry sectors. This will be part of the MS in eLearning degree program, currently one of the most comprehensive online teaching and learning training programs. It is designed to help learners become an effective online learning designer. Students will learn and experience the evolving contemporary practice and trends in learning design, innovation, theories, and create optimized learning materials for the virtual learning environment.
The training and skills acquired in the eLearning Design certificate can transfer into almost any educational or training field, including university, community college, K-12, corporate, government/military, curriculum design, and other fields requiring design and online module development.
Apply through Continuing Education: https://www.ce.csueastbay.edu/
- Candidates must hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
- Candidates must have earned at least a 3.0 Grade Point Average (GPA) in all upper division/post baccalaureate coursework.
- If a candidate has a baccalaureate degree from out of the country, he/she must have his/her transcripts evaluated by the International Admissions Office.
Complete 15 semester units of approved graduate work, subject to the following conditions:
- All units must have been earned within the past five (5) years immediately preceding completion of the requirements for the certificate.
- The department requires that all courses in the certification program be taken for a letter grade. No CR/NC grades for courses will be accepted towards the certificate requirements.
Cause for Dismissal From Certificate Program
Students must earn at least a 3.0 GPA and a grade of at least a C or better in all classes taken. If students earn a grade below a C, they may repeat a given course only once, and the grade received the second time the course is taken will be the grade recorded on the student’s record. If a student does not earn a grade of C or better the second time the class is taken, the student will not be allowed to continue the Certificate program.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Assess characteristics of online learners and components of an online teaching & learning environment.
- Synthesize an effective online teaching and learning environment based on current research, recent innovative ideas, and best practices.
- Apply teaching strategies, learning theories, and design models to online curriculum development.