May 18, 2021
The Program/Degree Planner icon is a print-friendly checklist of program/degree requirements and is available via the catalog’s full-website, located at the top of each page. Check it out!
English, B.A. Program (120 units)
The university offers the B.A. degree in English with three distinct concentrations: literature, creative writing, and English language and literacies. The student seeking a degree must observe the general university requirements stated elsewhere in this catalog as well as the specific departmental requirements stated here.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students graduating with a B.A. in English from Cal State East Bay will be able to:
- analyze and interpret literary genres represented by a range of texts;
- write in clear and cogent prose;
- demonstrate knowledge of key English language texts, including multicultural works;
- use critical theory to examine literary texts;
- conduct research relevant to the discipline of English studies and analyze connections among literary works and social issues.
Advertising Copy Writer • Author/Critic • Bookstore Manager • Continuity Writer • Corporate Communications Director • Foreign Service Office • Freelance Journalist/Writer • Greeting Card Editor/Writer • Lawyer • Librarian • Media Specialist • Newspaper Reporter • Public Information Officer • Publication Editor • Publicity Director • Publishing Agent • Radio/TV Agent • Script Writer • Teacher/Professor • Writer
- The B.A. degree requires a total of 120 units.
- The major consists of 52 units (students must complete with a grade point average of 3.0 or better);
- General Education (GE) & Graduation Requirements (GR) consists of 57 units;
- Free electives may consist of 11 units (actual number of free elective units may depend on GE/GR units).
Note: It may be possible to double count units within the graduation requirement. It may also be possible that a course satisfies both a graduation requirement and a major requirement. Students should contact their program and AACE advisors for information.
English Major Requirements (52 units)
Note: All courses must be completed with grade C- or better to be counted toward the major.
Lower Division Core
The following 12 units are required:
The following 12 units are required:
The Department of English offers three concentrations for degree candidates. Students must choose one (1) of the following concentrations for 24 units as a major requirement:
Senior Capstone Requirement
The following senior capstone for 4 units is required to complete the major:
British and American Literature Concentration
English majors with a concentration in British and American literature must complete six (6) additional courses for 24 units as described below:
- ENGL 340 - Critical Theory of Literature Units: 4
- One course in American literature before 1900 (4 units)
- One course in British literature before 1900 (4 units)
- One course in British or American literature after 1900 (4 units)
- One course in ethnic or global literature (4 units)
- One upper-division elective in English (4 units)
Other Undergraduate Degree Requirements
In addition to major requirements, every student must also complete the University’s baccalaureate requirements for graduation, which are described in the Requirements, Exams & Testing chapter of this catalog.
Department Courses Listed by Course Type
Department of English
Go to information for this department.
English: American/Global Literature
English: American Literature
English: British Literature
English: Global Literature
English: Literary Theory
English: Rhetoric and Composition
English: World Literature
English: Writing Workshop