The Program/Degree Planner icon is a print-friendly checklist of program/degree requirements and is available via the catalog’s full-website, located at the top of each page. Check it out!
Liberal Studies, B.A. Program (120 units)
The Liberal Studies Major aims to provide a rich liberal art educational experience through selected courses from a wide range of academic disciplines, while at the same time allowing students to select a field for in-depth study of their own interest. The broad-based, interdisciplinary nature of Liberal Studies provides a solid well-rounded undergraduate educational experience, integrating knowledge from arts and humanities, social science, and natural sciences, with analytical and communication skills well suited for many careers and professions.
The major consists of a common core and a choice from seven concentrations, designed to meet diverse student interests and needs not only for school teaching, but also for leadership in government, non-profit organizations, and business, and for graduate education in law, counseling, social work and services, public affairs and administration, and educational leadership.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students graduating with a B.A. in Liberal Studies from Cal State East Bay will be able to:
- demonstrate solid understanding of major contemporary global issues about individuals, society, and nature, by integrating interdisciplinary knowledge of humanity, social science, and natural science, with more in depth understanding of one specialized subject area or discipline;
- apply methods of different disciplines to critically thinking about these issues;
- communicate ideas clearly and persuasively in speech and writing;
- work with others in teams collaboratively and productively, showing sensitivity and respect for others, and readiness to learn from others;
- demonstrate commitment to promoting social justice, diversity, democratic values, and sustainable environment.
Administrator • Business Executive • Customer Service Representative • Educational Leadership • Foreign Service Officer • Human Resources Administrator • Journalist • Lawyer • Manager • Nonprofit and Social Advocacy Organizations • Personnel Representative • Salesperson • Social and Human Services • Teacher (K-6, Pre-K, Early Childhood, Special Education) • Writer
Degree Requirements Unit-Outline
- A baccalaureate of arts degree requires a total of 120 units:
- The major requirements consists of 71-80 units
- General Education & Graduation Requirements consists of 57 units ;
- Free Electives may consist of 0 units (actual number of free elective units may depend on GE/GR units).
Note: It may be possible to double-count units within the graduation requirements or that a course may satisfy both a graduation requirement and a major requirement. Students should contact their program and AACE advisors for information.
Liberal Studies Major Requirements (71-80 units)
Liberal Studies majors must complete the following core coursework as outlined. Please note that the core requirements also satisfy the upper-division GE requirements in areas C4, D4, and B6.
Liberal Studies majors must complete one (1) of the seven available concentrations in addition to the core requirements:
Studies in Educational Psychology Concentration
The Studies in Educational Psychology concentration is 23-25 units. Students must complete the following as outlined:
Other Undergraduate Degree Requirements
In addition to major requirements, every student must also complete the University’s baccalaureate requirements for graduation, which are described in the Requirements, Exams & Testing chapter of this catalog.