Nov 30, 2023
ANTH 340 - Language and Culture
Units: 3 ; Breadth Area: GE-UD-D
Language as a social and cultural phenomenon. The structured nature of language, key approaches to the study of language and culture, and linguistic-anthropological research on language-related social issues.
Strongly Recommended Preparation: Upper division status (greater than 60 earned semester units) and completion of lower division Area D1-3 requirements.
Prerequisites: Completion of GE Areas A1, A2, A3 and B4 with grade C- (CR) or better.
Possible Instructional Methods: Hybrid or Online Asynchronous.
Grading: A-F or CR/NC (student choice).
Breadth Area(s) Satisfied: GE-UD-D - Upper Division Social Sciences
Course Typically Offered: Variable Intermittently
Student Learning Outcomes - Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- define and explain essential terms and concepts in linguistic anthropology;
- analyze different approaches to the study of language in culture;
- use linguistic-anthropological frameworks to analyze language-related social issues;
- apply concepts, methods, and theories from linguistic anthropology to language-related problems that they encounter in their everyday and professional lives;
- analyze and evaluate opposing viewpoints using evidence rather than preconceived notions;
- discuss how they can use the knowledge of diversity and intercultural understanding acquired in this course to promote equity and social justice in their community.
UD-D. Upper-division Social Sciences Learning Outcomes
- analyze how power and social identity affect social outcomes for different cultural and economic groups using methods of social science inquiry and vocabulary appropriate to those methods;
- demonstrate an understanding of and ability to apply accurately disciplinary concepts of the social or behavioral sciences; and
- demonstrate an understanding of and ability to effectively plan or conduct research using an appropriate method of the social or behavioral sciences.
Add to Folder (opens a new window)