Jun 02, 2023
ECON 360 - Environmental Economics
Units: 3 ; Breadth Area: Sustainability Overlay
Socioeconomic effects of local, national, global environmental policies promoting sustainability. Discussions include interaction between human activities/natural resources, alternative environmental policies on air/water pollution, water management, resource depletion, open access problem, solid waste, forestry/fishery management, global warming, and environmental justice.
Prerequisites: ECON 200 and ECON 205.
Possible Instructional Methods: Entirely On-ground, or Entirely Online, or Hybrid.
Grading: A-F grading only.
Breadth Area(s) Satisfied: Overlay - Sustainability
Course Typically Offered: Spring ONLY
Student Learning Outcomes - Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Identify the environmental, social, and economic dimensions of sustainability, within and beyond market activities. Apply basic principles of economics to environmental issues,
- Explain how individual and societal choices affect prospects for environmentally beneficial, economically optimal, and sustainable society at the local, regional, and/or global levels. Analyze interactions between human activities and natural systems; describe key threats to environmental sustainability,
- Know basic economic models pertaining to the use and conservation of depletable resources and renewable resources,
- Understand basic approaches to “optimal” pollution and optimal pollution control,
- Understand discrepant effects of environmental problems on different population groups.
Sustainability Overlay Learning Outcomes
- Identify the environmental, social, and economic dimensions of sustainability, etiher in general or in relation to a specific problem.
- Analyze interactions between human activities and natural systems.
- Describe key threats to environmental sustainability.
- Explain how individual and societal choices affect prospects for sustainability at the local, regional, and/or global levels.
Add to Folder (opens a new window)