Jul 01, 2022
ENGL 346 - Literature and Health Care
Units: 4; Breadth Area: GE-UD-C; Social Justice
Literary representations of health care, illness, disability, and end-of-life care alongside health humanities and disability studies scholarship. Analysis of how representations of health care in literature relate to social justice and intersections of gender, race, ethnicity, class, disability, and sexuality.
Strongly Recommended Preparation: Upper division status (greater than 60 earned semester units) and completion of lower division Area C requirements.
Prerequisites: Completion of GE Areas A1, A2, A3 and B4 with grade C- (CR) or better.
Possible Instructional Methods: Entirely On-ground, or Entirely Online, or Hybrid.
Grading: A-F or CR/NC (student choice).
Breadth Area(s) Satisfied: GE-UD-C - Upper Division Arts or Humanities; Overlay - Social Justice
Course Typically Offered: Fall & Spring
Student Learning Outcomes - Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Understand the relationship between literature, health care, and social justice;
- Understand and apply Health Humanities and Disability Studies concepts;
- Respond to literary texts in a variety of modes (including critically, reflectively, and creatively);
- Develop arguments about literature and convey them effectively in writing.
UD-C. Upper-division Arts or Humanities Learning Outcomes
Social Justice Overlay Learning Outcomes
- demonstrate an understanding of and ability to apply the principles, methodologies, value systems, and thought processes employed in the arts and humanities;
- analyze cultural production as an expression of, or reflection upon, what it means to be human; and
- demonstrate how the perspectives of the arts and humanities are used by informed, engaged, and reflective citizens to benefit local and global communities.
- use a disciplinary perspective to analyze issues of social justice and equity;
- describe the challenges to achieving social justice; and
- identify ways in which individuals and/or groups can contribute to social justice within local communities, nations, or the world.
Add to Folder (opens a new window)