Oct 06, 2022
MLL 445 - Cultures of Spanish America
Units: 3 ; Breadth Area: GE-UD-C
A study of Spanish American cultures through history, race and cultural diversity, arts, myths, leaders, and social institutions. Taught in Spanish, readings in Spanish and English.
Strongly Recommended Preparation: Upper division status (greater than 60 earned semester units) and completion of lower division Area C requirements.
Prerequisites: Completion of GE Areas A1, A2, A3 and B4 with grade C- (CR) or better; and MLL 343.
Equivalent Quarter Course: MLL 3495.
Possible Instructional Methods: Entirely On-ground.
Grading: A-F grading only.
Breadth Area(s) Satisfied: GE-UD-C - Upper Division Arts or Humanities
Course Typically Offered: Variable Intermittently
Student Learning Outcomes - Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of the principal pre-Columbian indigenous civilizations and its legacy to the present.
- Student will be able to recognize important ideological, ethnic, cultural, socio-political, geographic, and historic factors that have contributed to the formation of the diversity and hybridity of Spanish American cultures and identities.
- Student will be able to identify and discuss the major historical movements and leaders in Spanish America from colonial times to the present.
- Student will be able to understand the relationships between Spanish America, the United States, and other parts of the world in the context of colonialism, post colonialism, and globalization.
UD-C. Upper-division Arts or Humanities Learning Outcomes
- demonstrate an understanding of and ability to apply the principles, methodologies, value systems, and thought processes employed in the arts and humanities;
- analyze cultural production as an expression of, or reflection upon, what it means to be human; and
- demonstrate how the perspectives of the arts and humanities are used by informed, engaged, and reflective citizens to benefit local and global communities.
Add to Folder (opens a new window)