Jun 30, 2022
ENGL 345 - Comics and Graphic Novels
Units: 4 ; Breadth Area: GE-UD-C
Study of the history, structure, and emerging patterns of the comic book and graphic novel, a hybrid narrative form that blends literary and visual components. Analysis of primary sources and graphic novel criticism that explores the genre’s cultural impact.
Strongly Recommended Preparation: Upper division status (greater than 60 earned semester units) and completion of lower division Area C requirements; and ENGL 204.
Prerequisites: Completion of GE Areas A1, A2, A3 and B4 with grade C- (CR) or better.
Equivalent Quarter Course: ENGL 3850.
Possible Instructional Methods: Entirely On-ground, or Entirely Online, or Hybrid.
Grading: A-F or CR/NC (student choice).
Breadth Area(s) Satisfied: GE-UD-C - Upper Division Arts or Humanities
Course Typically Offered: Variable Intermittently
Student Learning Outcomes - Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- identify and summarize key developments in the history of comic book and graphic novel production in the United States;
- demonstrate familiarity with major works in American comic books and graphic novels;
- recognize and explain principle terms used in comic book and graphic novel production and analysis;
- explain theoretical perspectives used in the production and reception of comic books and graphic novels;
- articulate in writing how the comic book’s or graphic novel’s unique structures are used to develop thematic concerns in at least one primary text.
UD-C. Upper-division Arts or Humanities Learning Outcomes
- demonstrate an understanding of and ability to apply the principles, methodologies, value systems, and thought processes employed in the arts and humanities;
- analyze cultural production as an expression of, or reflection upon, what it means to be human; and
- demonstrate how the perspectives of the arts and humanities are used by informed, engaged, and reflective citizens to benefit local and global communities.
Add to Folder (opens a new window)