Dec 04, 2022
GEOL 371 - Sedimentary Geology and Stratigraphy
Depositional systems and sedimentary processes. Facies models, succession, age relationships, and correlation of strata. Petrology and provenance of sedimentary rocks. Lecture Units: 3; Lab Units: 1.
Prerequisites: GEOL 361.
Equivalent Quarter Course: GEOL 3801.
Possible Instructional Methods: Entirely On-ground.
Grading: A-F grading only.
Course Typically Offered: Variable Intermittently
Student Learning Outcomes - Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Understand composition and formation of sedimentary rocks.
- Describe, identify, and classify clastic and carbonate rocks in outcrop, hand specimen and thin section.
- Collect lithostratigraphic data from field sites to construct cross-sections and stratigraphic columns.
- Analyze sedimentary rocks to determine facies relationships.
- Interpret common depositional environments using field relations.
- Correlate sedimentary rock units using basic stratigraphic tools.
Add to Folder (opens a new window)