Jun 29, 2022
ENGL 200 - College Writing II
Units: 3 ; Breadth Area: Second Composition
Further work in expository writing with emphasis on argumentation and persuasion. Introduction to the preparation and writing of the research paper.
Prerequisites: One of: ENGL 101, ENGL 102, ENGL 104.
Credit Restrictions: Not for English major credit.
Equivalent Quarter Course: ENGL 1002.
Possible Instructional Methods: Entirely On-ground, or Entirely Online, or Hybrid.
Grading: A-F or CR/NC (student choice).
Breadth Area(s) Satisfied: Second Composition
Course Typically Offered: Fall & Spring
Student Learning Outcomes - Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Recognize how audience expectations and purposes in a particular academic field compare to general university writing tasks;
- Apply rhetorical knowledge and critical thinking to reading and writing tasks that increase subject-matter knowledge;
- Use strategies common in a particular discipline to develop ideas and shape written drafts;
- tilize resources, such as feedback and published reference materials, to improve clarity, coherence, and conventional correctness when revising drafts;
- Demonstrate respect for the thoughts of others and an ability to take into account disciplinary perspectives when presenting their own ideas.
Second English Composition Learning Outcomes
- complete a variety of reading and writing tasks that incorporate subject-matter knowledge;
- adjust their writing for different audiences, showing awareness of expectations for academic writing in general and adhering to discipline-specific conventions when appropriate;
- demonstrate critical thinking and logical reasoning, including strategies coming in a discipline, in the development and organization of ideas in written texts;
take into account multiple perspectives and key disciplinary concepts when presenting their ideas in writing; and
- revise their writing in response to feedback in order to improve development, clarity, coherence, and correctness.
Add to Folder (opens a new window)