Sep 27, 2022
NURS 427 - Community Engagement IV
Units: 1 ; Breadth Area: Diversity
Delivery of culturally inclusive, community-based healthcare and selected issues of disparities in health outcomes for adults with chronic or complex illness. Includes both in-class sessions and field experiences in settings serving adults with complex healthcare needs. Note: The Diversity Overlay requirement is satisfied upon completion of the four-course series, NURS 317, NURS 327, NURS 417 and NURS 427.
Prerequisites: B.S. Nursing major and NURS 417.
Co-requisites: NURS 420, NURS 421.
Possible Instructional Methods: Entirely On-ground.
Grading: CR/NC grading only.
Breadth Area(s) Satisfied: Overlay - Diversity
Course Typically Offered: Fall & Spring
Student Learning Outcomes - Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Use concepts of community engagement and culturally inclusive community-based healthcare outcomes in field experiences with adults with complex or chronic health matters.
- Design and implement strategies to promote health in the community for adults with complex or chronic health matters.
- Critically reflect on and discuss issues that contribute to disparities in healthcare outcomes for adults with complex or chronic health matters.
- Analyze community field experience using reflection and critical thinking
- Implement evidenced based practices for conducting community assessments with an emphasis on resources, services and barriers to healthcare.
Diversity Overlay Learning Outcomes
- describe the histories and/or experiences of one or more U. S. cultural groups and the resilience and agency of group members;
- identify structures of oppression and the diverse efforts and strategies used by groups to combat the effects of oppressive structures;
- analyze the intersection of the categories of race and gender as they affect cultural group members’ lived realities and/or as they are embodied in personal and collective identities;
- recognize the way that multiple differences (including, for example, gender, class, sexuality, religion, disability, immigration status, gender expression, color/phenotype, racial mixture, linguistic expression, and/or age) within cultural groups complicate individual and group identities.
Add to Folder (opens a new window)