Jan 27, 2022
CHEM 340 - Survey of Biochemistry
A survey course covering structures of biomolecules (amino acids, proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, nucleic acids, nucleotides, and vitamins), mechanisms of membrane transport, enzyme kinetics, and cellular metabolic processes.
Prerequisites: CHEM 230 or CHEM 332, both with grade C- or better.
Equivalent Quarter Course: CHEM 3400.
Possible Instructional Methods: Entirely On-ground.
Grading: A-F or CR/NC (student choice).
Course Typically Offered: Fall & Spring
Student Learning Outcomes - Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Recall the structures of biomolecules;
- Recall the structure and the composition of biological membranes;
- Distinguish the different transport mechanisms across membranes;
- Summarize enzyme kinetic and inhibition models;
- Analyze kinetic data for enzyme-catalyzed reactions;
- Explain the energetics of metabolic processes;
- Outline the major catabolic processes of biomolecules;
- Formulate the relationship between structural or metabolic anomalies and diseases.
Add to Folder (opens a new window)