May 26, 2024  
2024-2025 Cal State East Bay Catalog (BETA) 
2024-2025 Cal State East Bay Catalog (BETA)



Academic Course Load

A graduate student who wishes to receive a master’s degree in two years needs to enroll in approximately 8 units per semester (15 units per year in a 30-unit master’s program). Eight (8) units per semester is the minimum for financial aid and reporting purposes. A graduate student who wishes to receive a doctoral degree in Educational Leadership should check the Educational Leadership, Ed.D.  program chapter in this catalog, as well as consult the Doctoral Handbook (available from the Department of Educational Leadership  office) for academic load information.


Graduate Certificate Programs

Admission to a Graduate Certificate Program

Students who are already enrolled in the University as post-baccalaureates (i.e., pursuing a graduate degree or credential program) may apply to a graduate certificate program. Students who are not already enrolled may apply to the University as a post-baccalaureate classified student. Applicants for graduate certificate programs must meet the minimum requirements for admission to graduate and post-baccalaureate studies that are outlined in the Graduate Admissions and Program Information section of this catalog. Applicants should also see the graduate certificate chapters of this catalog for additional admissions criteria for each specific program. It is recommended that the student seek admission, if appropriate, to a degree program within the sponsoring department so that graduate units may be taken, where permitted, for later application to the degree. No more than 9 units (or 30 percent for master’s programs that are over 30 units) taken in classified post-baccalaureate status may be applied towards the requirements of a graduate degree.

Graduate Certificate Program Requirements

A graduate certificate program is a coherent set of academic courses, considerably narrower in scope and objectives than a degree, for which students can receive a certificate upon its successful completion. Most certificate programs are oriented toward occupations and/or career skills. Each certificate program must contain a minimum of 12 units. For programs that include undergraduate courses, the minimum is 15 upper division units. Only one course below the 600-level may be taken “CR/NC” and no graduate course may be taken “CR/NC” in a certificate program unless that is the only grading pattern for the course. Students must take at least 75% of the courses and all 600-level courses at Cal State East Bay. (For certificate programs, Cal State East Bay courses may be taken through University Extension or as a regularly admitted and enrolled student.)

No student is required to complete a certificate program. Completion of a certificate program is recognized by the awarding of a certificate. There is no notation about the program on either a diploma or permanent record. (The courses will, of course, be on the student’s permanent record.) 


Change in Educational Objective

Change in Educational Objective

Continuing post-baccalaureate students wishing to change their degree objective or credential program must file a “Change of Graduate Objective” application with the Office of Graduate Admissions. Applications are available online. Students may contact for more information.


Doctoral Degree Information

Cal State East Bay offers one doctoral degree, the Ed.D. in Educational Leadership. Students accepted into the Educational Leadership for Social Justice program should work very closely with their academic advisors to ensure that all policies and procedures are being followed. Policies and procedures for continuing student performance as well as program graduation requirements for this doctoral program are different from those required for students in master’s programs.  For information regarding the Doctor of Education, please see the Educational Leadership program chapter in this catalog.  

Contact the Department Office or website directly for specific requirements and program information for the Ed.D. degree.  A copy of the Doctoral Student Handbook may be requested from the Department of Educational Leadership, Arts & Education Building, Room 250, (510) 885-4145, email:


Required Units for Full-time Graduate Students

The following classifications apply to graduate students enrolled in the fall and spring semesters and in summer session (not University Extension non­-degree programs and shorter sessions including winter):

  • Full-time enrollment for “Graduate” students and “Classified Post­baccalaureate” students is 8 or more units for financial aid, F-1 and J-1 visas, and for veterans (or dependents of disabled or deceased veterans) or reservists (under Chapter 30, 31, 33, 34, 35, or 1606).

Note: Each semester, veterans and eligible dependents should consult the Veteran Benefits Coordinator before the first day of classes and submit their forms requesting certification of enrollment for V.A. benefits.  Also, graduate students who apply for Veterans’ Benefits (or for benefits as dependents of disabled or deceased veterans), international students wishing Department of Homeland Security certification, student athletes wishing to compete in intercollegiate sports, and students on most types of financial aid must be enrolled in courses that apply to a definite program (master’s degree and/or credential).


Master’s Degree(s)

Degree Requirements

A student wishing to earn a master’s degree must complete the four requirements listed below:

  • Be Advanced to Candidacy;
  • Complete at least 30 semester units applicable to the degree.  Please see specific program requirements in this catalog for the total number of units required for each master’s degree program.
    • All units must be earned within the five calendar years immediately preceding the receipt of the degree. Outdated units may be accepted for one additional year with the approval of the major department and Graduate Studies. If not completed in the sixth year, currency in the subject matter of the outdated courses must be demonstrated. Courses older than seven years are only applied to the degree in exceptional circumstances.
    • A minimum of seventy (70) percent of the total units required by the degree program must be completed in residence while enrolled as an admitted graduate student at Cal State East Bay. For example, for a 30-unit master’s program, 21 units in residence are required. (Note: The number of transferable units for each degree program will be rounded to the nearest whole number of units.) Units taken while at other schools, while an undergraduate with permission to take graduate courses, while pursuing an additional baccalaureate degree in “Post-Baccalaureate” status, or, for state-supported programs, while enrolled in Continuing Education courses (including Open University courses) do not count as resident units. Courses offered in special session, e.g., summer, are considered resident units. Units taken while enrolled in another graduate program at Cal State East Bay may count towards resident units at the discretion of the program.  Some graduate programs may require more than 70 percent of the required degree units in residence, so check the program’s section of this catalog for these requirements.
    • At least 1/2 (50%) of the units in the program must be in stand-alone 600-level courses.  Up to 50% of the units may be in upper-division undergraduate courses and/or dual-listed undergraduate/graduate courses.
    • No lower division units can be counted.
    • No more than 6 units of university thesis, departmental thesis or project work can be counted.
    • No more than 8 units of independent study can be counted.
    • No units counted towards the total graduate program units may be taken on a “CR/NC” basis unless they are in courses that are offered exclusively on that basis (primarily restricted to fieldwork and internship courses).  This does not apply to courses taken to satisfy prerequisite or proficiency requirements.
  • Complete a program of study approved by the department, which must include a thesis, project, or comprehensive examination; and
  • Earn a 3.0 grade point average in all units counted towards the degree, with a minimum course grade of “C” in every course. Any course that counts toward the degree requirements with a grade of “C-” or below will have to be repeated.

Please Note: individual master’s degree program requirements may be more stringent, including minimum grade requirements, than the University requirements listed above.  Please check each program’s section of this catalog for specific program requirements.

Dual Master’s Degrees

If a student wishes to pursue two master’s degrees at the same time, they should apply to their primary degree via CalState Apply and complete a “Change of Graduate Objective” form filed with the Office of Graduate Admissions to apply for the second degree.  Students may not pursue programs offered through state-side funding and self-support (University Extension) at the same time. 

Second Master’s Degree

If a student already has a master’s degree and wants to pursue a second master’s degree, they must meet the following criteria:

  • Apply and gain admission to the department offering the second master’s degree program;
  • Fulfill all prerequisites and requirements for the second degree;
  • Complete at least 70% of the units required for the second degree in residence after admission to the second degree program. Up to 30% of units from the first degree may be applied to the second degree, if accepted by the second degree program.  If no units for the first degree are accepted, all units for the second degree must be completed;
  • Earn all units for the second master’s degree within the five calendar years immediately preceding the receipt of the degree.

If the second degree is in the same field as the first degree (e.g., business administration), the second degree must be in a different concentration and all units in the degree must be from different courses.


Notice To Students RE: Professional Licensure and Certification

Admission into programs leading to licensure and credentialing does not guarantee that students will obtain a license or credential. Licensure and credentialing requirements are set by agencies that are not controlled by or affiliated with the CSU and requirements can change at any time. For example, licensure or credentialing requirements can include evidence of the right to work in the United States (e.g., social security number or taxpayer identification number) or successfully passing a criminal background check. Students are responsible for determining whether they can meet licensure or credentialing requirements. The CSU will not refund tuition, fees or any associated costs to students who determine subsequent to admission that they cannot meet licensure or credentialing requirements. Information concerning licensure and credentialing requirements are available from the Academic Programs and Services.

The California State University has not determined whether its programs meet other states’ educational or professional requirements for licensure and certification. Students enrolled in a California State University program who are planning to pursue licensure or certification in other states are responsible for determining whether they will meet their state’s requirements for licensure or certification. This disclosure is made pursuant to 34 CFR §668.43(a)(5)(v)(C).