Jun 23, 2024  
2023-2024 Cal State East Bay Catalog 
2023-2024 Cal State East Bay Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]



Academic Grading Symbols (Graduate)

Graduate Course Symbols & Grade Points Earned
Academic Grade Standard of Work Represented Grade (Quality) Points
A Superior 4.0
A- Superior 3.7
B+ Adequate 3.3
B Adequate 3.0
B- Adequate1 2.7
C+ Substandard 2.3
C Substandard 2.0
C- Unacceptable 1.7
D+ Unacceptable 1.3
D Unacceptable 1.0
F Failing 0.0
CR Credit2 not applicable
NC No Credit2 not applicable


1Note: A “B-” grade, though described as “adequate,” generates fewer than 3.0 grade (quality) points and must be balanced by a grade of “B+” or higher to maintain a 3.0 GPA.

2Note: These grades cannot be selected by students.  They are only available in graduate courses offered exclusively on a “credit/no credit” basis.

The typical grading pattern for courses graduate students will take is “A-F”; the use of “+” and “-” is at the discretion of each instructor.  As noted in the Master’s Degree Requirements section, grades lower than “C” may not be used to satisfy master’s degree requirements, and some programs may require grades higher than “C” to meet program requirements; check with the academic department about its policy.  A graduate student may use courses taken on a “CR/NC” basis to meet the degree requirements only if the courses are offered exclusively on that basis.  Typically, these courses are restricted to fieldwork and internships and a “CR” grade indicates that the student’s work is at least of “B-” quality.  In post-baccalaureate (500-level) courses, a “CR” grade also indicates that the work is at least of “B-” quality.


Appealing an Inappropriate Grade

Faculty have the sole right and responsibility to provide careful evaluation and timely assignment of appropriate grades. There is a presumption that grades assigned are correct. It is the responsibility of anyone appealing an assigned grade to demonstrate otherwise. In the absence of compelling reasons, such as instructor or clerical error, prejudice or capriciousness, the grade assigned by the instructor of record is to be considered final. Students who believe that an appropriate grade has not been assigned should attempt to resolve the problem with their instructor. If the student is not satisfied with the outcome, they should discuss the issue with the department chair in which the course was offered. If the issue is not resolved, the student should make an appointment with the dean or associate dean of the college in which the course is offered. If all previous actions fail, the student should contact the Presidential Appointee to the Grade Appeal and Academic Grievance Committee by calling (510) 885-3716. If the student has applied for graduation, the student should notify their graduation evaluator that a question is pending resolution. Once a degree is posted, no grade changes will be allowed.

Grade Appeal and Academic Grievance Committee

The Grade Appeal and Academic Grievance process, administered by this committee, allows students to resolve serious cases of alleged academic unfairness. After every effort by all parties to resolve the dispute has been ineffective, students can discuss their case with the Presidential Appointee to the Grade Appeal and Academic Grievance Committee. The Presidential Appointee will assist students in exhausting all normal channels and, if necessary, in filing a Petition (see link below) for a Grade Appeal Hearing. Students will need to submit their petition and supporting documentation to the Academic Programs and Services Office. The committee will review this documentation and the response(s) filed by the other parties involved in the dispute. If the committee finds possible grounds for a grievance, a Hearing Panel will be convened to hear the case. Under normal circumstances, the student must file their Petition before the end of the semester following the semester in which the alleged incident took place.

The Grade Appeal and Academic Grievance Committee is empowered to change a grade in accordance with the Grade Appeal Document and to assign a grade in cases where the instructor may have assigned an unfair academic grade. The Grade Appeal and Academic Grievance Committee is authorized to change a grade only after it has conducted a proper review of the case.

Grade Appeal Petition Form 

For additional information see the Student Conduct, Rights & Responsibilities   chapter.

More information is available from the Office of Academic Programs and Services (Student Services and Administration Building, Suite 4500; Tel. (510) 885-3716)


Cancellation of Registration or Withdrawal from the University

All Students

Students who find it necessary to cancel their registration or to withdraw from all classes after enrolling for any academic term are required to follow the university’s official withdrawal procedures. Failure to follow formal university procedures may result in an obligation to pay fees as well as the assignment of failing grades in all courses and the need to apply for readmission before being permitted to enroll in another academic term. Information on canceling registration and withdrawal procedures is available from the Enrollment Information Center, located on the first floor of the Student Services and Administration Building.

Students who fail to fulfill enrollment or matriculation requirements, or otherwise fail to adhere to academic or Cal State East Bay regulations, are subject to immediate administrative action which may result in the student being placed on Administrative Alert, or having enrollment for that term canceled.

Note: Matriculated students who have not enrolled in classes at Cal State East Bay for two consecutive semesters (not including summer or winter sessions), and do not enroll in the third consecutive semester, will be discontinued and will be required to submit a new application to the University for readmission.

Add/Drop Period

Submitting a “Withdrawal” form is not required if students find it necessary to drop all courses in which they enrolled in using MyCSUEB during the Add/Drop period. For refund information, refer to the Refund of Fees section in the Undergrad Fees & Financial Services  chapter.

If students find it necessary to withdraw from the University after the Add/Drop period has ended (during the third through the twelfth week of instruction), they must complete a “Withdrawal” form, obtain approval signatures from each instructor and department chair, and return it to the Enrollment Information Center or the Academic Services Office. Course withdrawals are handled as noted in the section above.  A semester from which a student withdraws is not counted as an interruption of enrollment for matriculated student status. Even if approved, a late withdrawal petition does not result in a fee refund. Students should consult with Student Financial Services for any questions about fee refunds related to withdrawing from classes.

Financial Aid Recipients

Students who receive financial aid funds must consult with a financial aid counselor in the Financial Aid Office prior to withdrawing from the university regarding any required return or repayment of grant or loan assistance received for that academic term or payment period. Students who have received financial aid and withdraw from the institution during the academic term or payment period may need to return or repay some or all of the funds received, which may result in a debt owed to the institution. Withdraw Policy

Fee Refunds

A withdrawal may not automatically result in a fee refund. Students should consult with Student Financial Services for any questions about fee refunds related to withdrawing from classes.


Capstone Experiences

The capstone experience of the graduate program will be the successful completion of a thesis, project, or comprehensive examination. The quality of the student’s work, including quality of expression, is the major consideration in judging the success of this degree component.


A thesis is the written product of a systematic study of a significant issue. In the thesis, the student is expected to identify the issue, state the major assumptions, explain the significance of the project, detail sources for and methods of obtaining data, provide analysis of the data, and offer conclusions. The thesis should demonstrate original critical and independent thinking, appropriate organization and format, and thorough documentation. If the research involves human subjects, the protocols must be approved by the Institutional Review Board (see “Standards of Research with Human Subjects” in this chapter).

Cal State East Bay offers two kinds of master’s degree theses, University Thesis (numbered 691) and Departmental Thesis (numbered 699). Students required, or electing, to write a thesis must register for a minimum of one unit of either 691 or 699 in order to receive credit toward completion of this capstone experience. Students should check with the department for information on the number of units for which they must enroll.

The following criteria are the same for both the Departmental Thesis and the University Thesis.

  • The candidate must be a graduate student (i.e., admitted to a master’s degree program) to enroll in a thesis course; the academic department may add additional requirements.
  • The student’s thesis work will be supervised by a departmental committee, the chair of which must be a tenured or tenure-track Cal State East Bay faculty member who is a member of the major department. Please see the Thesis Committee Policy for additional thesis committee requirements.
  • The student may not receive credit for more units of thesis work than allowed by the degree program.
  • Each semester students will receive a grade of “RP” (Report in Progress) for units earned in 691 or 699 until they have completed their thesis; the student will then be given a final grade for the entire course. No “RP” units will be counted towards the degree or in calculating their GPA. If the thesis is not approved within five years of initial enrollment in a thesis course, the “RP” grade(s) will be changed to “F” or “NC” (depending on the grading pattern of the course).
  • Normally, a degree candidate will be required to present an oral defense of their thesis.
  • A Master’s degree candidate may not earn more than 6 units for either a University Thesis or Departmental Thesis. Some programs have lower unit requirements. Students should check the program description in this catalog.

There are also a few significant differences between the two kinds of theses:

The format of a University Thesis is established by the Office of Graduate Studies. Since these works are expected to serve as resources for future research, the format is formal. An electronic copy is placed in the Institutional Repository. A Departmental Thesis, on the other hand, is usually not as formal. The Departmental Thesis standards and format are determined by the department, and the thesis is retained by the department.   A Departmental Thesis may also be placed in the Institutional Repository.

University Thesis: 

For information on the steps to follow (the approval process, required format for the structural elements of the thesis, and deadlines) when writing a University Thesis, consult guidelines available online at: https://www.csueastbay.edu/thesis. If a student has questions concerning the selection of a topic, and/or the procedure to establish a thesis committee and research protocols, they should contact their department advisor or graduate coordinator. Students should also see if the department requires that a bound copy be submitted to the department. If the student has additional questions concerning the formatting and submission of their University Thesis after having read the University Thesis Writing Guide, it is recommended they contact the University Thesis Editor at: thesiseditor@csueastbay.edu

Departmental Thesis: 

For information about a Departmental Thesis (the department’s thesis guidelines, including format, acceptable thesis topics, and procedures to establish a thesis committee) contact the department advisor or graduate coordinator. Also see https://www.csueastbay.edu/thesis for more information.


A project is a significant undertaking in either a fine or applied art or a professional field. Projects should provide evidence of originality, independent thinking, and appropriate form and organization. Students are required to describe their project in a written abstract that addresses the project’s significance, objectives, methodology, and conclusions. In some cases, the student may be required to present an oral defense.

Specific criteria for a Project (numbered 693) are the same as those for a Departmental Thesis with a few exceptions.

  • An “RP” grade in a project course will become an “F” (no “NC” option) after one year if the project is not completed.
  • While the project need not be considered a research resource, it should be of a caliber to constitute a valid terminal activity in a master’s degree program.  A Project may be placed in the Institutional Repository.

If a Master’s degree student changes from a program requiring a thesis to one requiring a project (or vice versa), they may count a combined maximum of 6 units for 691, 693, and 699 towards the degree.

Comprehensive Examination

A comprehensive examination is intended to assess the student’s mastery of relevant subject matter, their ability to analyze and integrate the knowledge of their field, their skill in critical and independent thinking, and their use of appropriate organization and accurate documentation. A record of the student’s examination (questions and responses) will be retained by their department. Some departments grant unit credit for exam preparation (numbered 692) while others do not.


Course Requirement Information - Course Syllabus

Faculty shall provide students with a course syllabus, which should be placed on the course Blackboard site at the beginning of the semester, containing the following information:

  • Name of instructor, office location, office hours, office telephone number, and @csueastbay.edu e-mail;
  • Course number and title, classroom location, number of units, prerequisites (if any), a course description, objectives, and student learning outcomes;
  • Required texts and any other required and/or recommended materials;
  • Student-supplied equipment and materials necessary for course activities;
  • Course specific requirements and their due dates, such as examinations, quizzes, papers, field trips, and labs;
  • Grading policy, which includes the relative weight of examinations, quizzes, papers, class participation, and other factors, and the grading scale;
  • Attendance and make-up work policies and implications for grading;
  • The following statement and reference to University policies regarding cheating and academic dishonesty: “By enrolling in this class the student agrees to uphold the standards of academic integrity described at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/academic/academic-policies/academic-dishonesty.html.”
  • Accommodations for students with disabilities.
    • Sample statement: “If you have a documented disability and wish to discuss academic accommodations, or if you would need assistance in the event of an emergency evacuation, please contact me as soon as possible. Students with disabilities needing accommodation should speak with the Accessibility Services.”
  • Emergency information.
    • Sample statement: “California State University, East Bay is committed to being a safe and caring community. Your appropriate response in the event of an emergency can help save lives. Information on what to do in an emergency situation (earthquake, electrical outage, fire, extreme heat, severe storm, hazardous materials, terrorist attack) may be found at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/risk-management/ehs/emergency-management/index.html. Please be familiar with these procedures. Information on this page is updated as required. Please review the information on a regular basis.”

Faculty are also encouraged to include additional items such as:

  • Course outline;
  • Types of quizzes and exams (e.g., true-false, multiple choice, short-answer, essay);
  • Availability of appropriate tutoring services;
  • Policies regarding audio and video recording and use of electronic devices;
  • Reference to University classroom behavior policies;
  • Classroom food and drink policies.

Furthermore, faculty should advise students of their expectations in the course no later than the end of the second class. Any changes in course requirements should be communicated to students in a timely manner. It is the student’s responsibility to read the course statement and to request any clarification of course policies. If a student adds the course after the first week of class, they must seek course information in a timely manner.


Declassification from a Degree Program

A student may be declassified (dropped) from a graduate degree or credential program for a range of reasons, including, but not restricted to, unprofessional conduct; failure to maintain professional standards; behavioral issues that interfere with the learning of others; failure to make progress toward the degree or program as set forth by the University and program policies; failure to successfully complete required components of the program such as fieldwork or practicum courses; failure to meet grade requirements to maintain good standing in the program and/or University; and/or the department/program faculty determine that the student is incapable of completing degree requirements at the level expected of a graduate student in the discipline even if the GPA is above 3.0. 

The declassification request must be initiated by the major department with support from the department/program chair and college dean or designee. Requests are submitted to the Office of Academic Programs and Services for final action and official notification to the student and the Registrar’s Office. The Office of Academic Programs and Services will determine if the student should also be academically or administratively disqualified from the University. If the student is not disqualified from the University and wishes to continue in the University, a declassified student must formally apply to another graduate program. Declassified students will not be permitted to enroll through regular University or Open University in any undergraduate or graduate courses in the program or degree from which they were declassified. Unless the declassification was related to conduct issues that interfere with campus interactions, declassified students are eligible to apply to a new program and be accepted as a student by the new department/program. The student must be accepted to a new program no later than two semesters after being declassified; otherwise, the student must reapply to the University.


Faculty Office Hours Policy

The faculty of the University are available during regularly scheduled office hours, which are at times other than scheduled classes. The times of the office hours are posted outside each faculty office, at the faculty member’s department, on the department website, and on the faculty member’s course syllabi. The faculty member informs the department of their office hours the first day of classes each semester. 

Full-time faculty who are teaching are expected to hold a minimum of two (2) regularly scheduled office hours per week. The way in which office hours are held should be congruent with the mode(s) of instruction. For example, faculty teaching online courses may hold office hours online. In addition to regularly scheduled office hours, faculty are expected encouraged to meet with students by appointment (in-person or electronically) at mutually convenient times to a reasonable extent. For faculty members who are teaching less than a full load, the minimum number of scheduled office hours may be prorated, but the number of scheduled hours may not be less than one hour per week.

If for any reason a faculty member cannot meet the posted office hours, the faculty member will inform the Department Chair. If possible, the department will note the absence on the faculty office door.

The normal schedule of availability is to be maintained during the Final Examination period, but may be rearranged to facilitate meeting students before exams. If a final examination conflicts with a posted time of availability, an alternative hour is to be posted for that week alone.


Final Examination Policy

The general policy for most courses is to have examinations or other graded assignments during a semester and a final examination. Courses with 2 or fewer units or those that are activity or laboratory based may or may not have final examinations. At the start of each semester, instructors shall fully inform students of the manner of their evaluation as well as the requirements and assignments.

Final examinations that can be administered during a single time block shall be administered only during final exam week and only at the time scheduled by the University. Fully online asynchronous courses may offer synchronous final examinations but must accommodate students who have academic conflicts; the times for these final exams shall be posted on the syllabus at the beginning of the semester. Exceptions to any of the rules above will be made only for compelling reasons. The written authorization of the dean is required for such an exception.  When exceptions are granted, this shall be noted on the course syllabus and students who have a conflicting examination shall be permitted to take the exam at another time. Suspected violations should be reported to department chairs and college deans.

The meeting pattern and starting time of the weekly class meeting determines the examination time. For classes with multiple components, such as lecture-laboratory, lecture-activity, and lecture-discussion courses, the meeting pattern and starting time of the lecture component determines the examination time.

If a course contains a separate laboratory, activity, or discussion segment, a final examination on that segment, if desired by the instructor, may be given during the last class meeting of that segment.


Graduate Student GPA

The student’s grade point average (GPA) is calculated by dividing the total number of quality hours (units attempted, excluding CR/NC courses) into the number of grade (quality) points earned. If they repeat a course required in the major, their department has the discretion, under specific circumstances, not to include an earlier attempt in the GPA calculation. The approval not to include the earlier attempt in the student’s degree program must be submitted by their department to the Office of the Registrar. This may be done at any time while a student is enrolled in the degree program, but may not be done after they have been awarded their degree.

The graduate program coordinator or department chair also has the discretion to request that grades in courses that do not count towards graduate degree requirements be excluded from a student’s GPA calculation. This will be permitted only if those grades result in the student being placed on academic alert. These may include courses taken in a second baccalaureate program, or courses taken in a different graduate degree program. They may not be courses taken after the student has been admitted to the current graduate program, or courses taken in the degree program that the student subsequently elects not to count toward graduate program requirements. They also may not include grades for courses that the student used for a conferred post-baccalaureate degree. The request not to include a grade in a student’s GPA calculation must be submitted by the graduate coordinator or department chair to the Office of Academic Programs and Services which will make the final determination of the request. This may be done at any time while a student is in the degree program, but may not be done after they have been awarded their degree.

If the student’s GPA falls below 3.00, they should consult immediately with the graduate coordinator or major department chair.


Graduate Student Registration Policy

Master’s degree students must follow the same registration policies and procedures as required for undergraduate students. See the Undergrad Orientation & Enrollment  chapter in this catalog for more complete registration information.

Registration procedures for Thesis or Project courses are slightly different. Master’s students must complete a “Special Registration Petition” (see below) for each semester they wish to enroll in one of these courses. The petition should be submitted to the department office before the add/drop deadline. The student is responsible for checking on the progress of this procedure.


Graduate Study Completion (All But Capstone)

Students who have completed all the units required for their master’s degree but are still working on their capstone experience (thesis, project, or studying for a comprehensive exam) may have continued access to University facilities by registering for XXXX 890 Graduate Study Completion course through University Extension, Continuing and International Education. (Students should register for the course within their major prefix; e.g. graduate chemistry majors should register for CHEM 890). This is a 1-unit course with a fee of $134 (fee subject to change). 

Registering for XXXX 890 will provide students with:

  • a valid Student ID card,
  • the ability to check books out of the library,
  • remote access to computerized databases in the library,
  • use of computer labs on campus,
  • the ability to continue to work on projects in science labs,
  • eligibility to purchase a parking permit, and
  • access to other benefits enjoyed by regularly registered students.

Enrollment in XXXX 890 also qualifies as enrollment for students who are serving as a teaching associate. Note: XXXX 890 cannot be used to satisfy any unit or course requirements for a master’s degree.

Students may register by picking up a “XXXX 890 Graduate Study Completion Form” in their department, the University Extension Office in SF 102, or at this link: https://ce.csueastbay.edu/files/docs/grad-study-form-gs-890.pdf. Note: Students will need to obtain a signature from their major department.


Graduate Student Alert, Disqualification, & Reinstatement Policy

There are two types of alerts and disqualification: (1) academic, and (2) administrative.

Academic Alert

Students must maintain a 3.00 GPA in all units attempted after admission to their graduate program, including all prerequisite courses, to remain in good standing. If the student’s GPA falls below 3.00, they will be placed on Academic Alert. (Grades in any coursework taken after admission to the student’s master’s program at CSUEB will count towards the GPA calculation for academic alert.) Should this happen, the student must consult with their graduate advisor prior to registering for the next semester. The student is also encouraged to take advantage of various University services (such as advising and tutoring) designed to assist them. 

Academic Disqualification

A student may be subject to academic disqualification if during any semester while on alert they do not achieve the minimum 3.0 GPA in all units taken after admission to their graduate program. The student may also be disqualified if, at any time, they do not meet the academic criteria of their department. In addition, an appropriate campus administrator may disqualify a student who at any time during enrollment has demonstrated behavior so contrary to the standards of the profession for which the student is preparing as to render the individual unfit for the profession. In such cases, disqualification will occur immediately upon notice to the student. 

Administrative Alert

A student may be placed on Administrative Alert if they:

  • withdraw from all courses for two consecutive semesters or any three semesters;
  • do not progress towards their degree while enrolled (such as earning a number of “NC” grades);
  • do not comply with appropriate academic requirements (such as taking the Writing Skills Test); or
  • earn only “IC,” “F,” “WU,” and/or “NC” grades for two consecutive, or any three semesters. 
Administrative Disqualification

A student will be administratively disqualified if they:

  • do not meet the conditions for removal of their Administrative Alert;
  • are placed on Administrative Alert twice for the same reason;
  • are placed on Academic Alert while on Administrative Alert. 
Reinstatement to a Graduate Program

If a student is disqualified, either academically or administratively, they may apply for reinstatement to their graduate program by completing a “Petition for Graduate Reinstatement.” The petition must be approved by the appropriate graduate coordinator or the department chair. Reinstatement will be approved only if the student is able to provide compelling evidence of their ability to complete their degree. Then it will be forwarded for consideration to the Director of Graduate Studies, who has final authority to approve reinstatement. If a student should become disqualified a second time, their reinstatement normally will not be considered. Reinstatement petitions are available at https://www.csueastbay.edu/graduate-studies/graduate-reinstatement.html.


Special Registration Petitions

Some courses may require a Special Registration Petition prior to enrollment.  Students who need to complete a Special Registration Petition should contact the department offering the course.  Typically, courses that will require special registration petitions are: 

  • Independent Study,
  • Individual Study,
  • Capstone Project,
  • Departmental Thesis, or
  • University Thesis.

Standards of Research with Human Subjects

The University has approved policies and procedures for the protection of human subjects in research, development, and related activities carried out by faculty, staff and students. An Institutional Review Board has been established to review research protocols in order to determine whether human subjects would be at risk and to protect their rights and welfare. Protocols must be approved before research commences. Further information and copies of the policy document may be obtained from the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs, SF 302, (510) 885-4212 or online at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/orsp/.


Transferring Units as a Graduate Student

A minimum of seventy (70) percent of the total units required by the degree program must be completed in residence while enrolled as an admitted graduate student at Cal State East Bay.

Note: The number of transferable units for each degree program will be rounded to the nearest whole number of units.

Units taken while at other schools, while an undergraduate with permission to take graduate courses, while pursuing an additional baccalaureate degree in “Post-Baccalaureate” status, or, for state-supported programs,  while enrolled in Continuing Education courses (including Open University courses) do not count as resident units. Courses offered in special session, e.g., summer, are considered resident units.  Units taken while enrolled in another graduate program at Cal State East Bay may count towards resident units at the discretion of the program.  

Please note that individual graduate programs may require more than 70 percent of the required degree units in residence. If so, it will be noted in the program’s section of this catalog for these requirements.

To request transfer credit:

  1. The student must have taken the course after earning a bachelor’s degree;
  2. Their department must accept the course(s) as relevant to their degree program;
  3. The institution at which the student took the course must customarily grant the level of credit for the course (graduate or upper division) that the student wishes to receive for it at Cal State East Bay;
  4. The student must have taken the course within five calendar years immediately preceding the receipt of their degree.

In general, Cal State East Bay does not allow the use of credit-by-examination from challenged courses for master’s degree requirements. Exceptions may be established by individual departments and must be noted in the degree description in the University Catalog. They are governed by the following policies:

  • The student must pass the exam challenging the course with a grade of “B-” or better;
  • Not more than 9 semester units of credit-by-examination may be applied to the degree; and
  • Challenged courses may not be credited to the residency requirement of your degree.

University Grading Policy

It is an integral part of the teaching responsibility of the faculty to provide careful evaluation and timely assignment of an appropriate grade to each enrolled student. There is a presumption that grades assigned are correct. It is the responsibility of anyone appealing an assigned grade to demonstrate otherwise. In the absence of compelling reasons, such as instructor or clerical error, prejudice, or capriciousness, the grade determined by the instructor of record will be considered final.

For purposes of correcting an error, an instructor may change a grade with approval of his/her department chair and college dean. No grade may be changed once graduation has been recorded unless an error has been made, in which case students have one term after their degree has been awarded to dispute the grade and have it corrected, or if a Grade Appeal petition has resulted in a grade change. The administrative symbol for withdrawal cannot be assigned by a faculty member.

See the Undergrad Orientation & Enrollment  chapter for the description of withdrawal policies and procedures.


University Writing Requirement (UWR)

In addition to the lower-division General Education requirements for writing, the California State University system requires that all undergraduate students must demonstrate competency in written communication as a requirement for graduation and to receive a baccalaureate degree. This requirement was implemented system-wide in 1977 and updated in 2020. Students must satisfy the University Writing Requirement (UWR) in order to receive a degree from Cal State East Bay unless they are exempt by one of the following criteria:

  1. Previously satisfied the UWR at Cal State East Bay or at another CSU campus, Cal State East Bay will accept official certification of completion if the entire requirement, as specified by that CSU campus, was satisfied and the student was a matriculated student at that campus at the time.  On some CSU campuses, the requirement is called the “Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR).”

  2. Graduated from any one of the CSU campuses; unless it is noted on the transcript that the UWR (or GWAR) was not satisfied.

Undergraduate students are required to satisfy the University Writing Requirement in a timely manner, either in their junior or senior year, as defined by the roadmap for their major.  Students who do not enroll in an appropriate course in a timely manner will be placed on administrative academic alert until the requirement is completed. Note: Undergraduate students cannot satisfy this requirement before completing 60 units. Completion of GE Area A2 and ENGL 200 or another approved second composition course, which are graduation degree requirements, is also required before attempting to satisfy the UWR.

To satisfy the requirement at Cal State East Bay, students must complete one (1) writing intensive (WI) class of 3 or 4 units with a C- or better. Writing Intensive classes are designated with a “W” after the course number, see the list below.


Learning Outcomes for Writing-Intensive (WI) Courses:

The following statement of student learning outcomes must appear in the syllabus of a certified WI course.

This is a writing-intensive (WI) course that meets the University Writing Requirement (UWR). By the end of the course, students will be able to

  • Complete a variety of reading and writing tasks that incorporate subject-matter knowledge;
  • Adjust their writing for different audiences, showing awareness of expectations for academic writing in general and adhering to discipline-specific conventions when appropriate;
  • Demonstrate critical thinking and logical reasoning, including strategies common in a discipline, in the development and organization of ideas in written texts;
  • Take into account multiple perspectives and key disciplinary concepts when presenting their ideas in writing;
  • Revise their writing in response to feedback in order to improve idea development, clarity, coherence, and correctness.
Courses that satisfy the UWR have a “W” suffix in the course number (e.g., ENGL 300W).  Courses approved to satisfy UWR in this Catalog are:

Other breadth requirements are indicated in parentheses above.  Any course offered that is numbered “396W” will also satisfy the UWR.  That number is for a one-time-only course offering that was created after Catalog deadlines.