Sep 29, 2023  
2015-2016 CSU East Bay Catalog 
2015-2016 CSU East Bay Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduate/Post-Baccalaureate Admission and Degree Information

Graduate and Post-Baccalaureate Admission

Admission to the University

All graduate and post-baccalaureate applicants (e.g., Ed.D., joint Ph.D. and Ed.D. applicants, master’s degree applicants, those seeking educational credentials or certificates, and where permitted, and holders of baccalaureate degrees interested in taking courses for personal or professional growth) must file a complete graduate application as described in the graduate and post-baccalaureate admission materials at Applicants who completed undergraduate degree requirements and graduated the preceding term are also required to complete and submit an application and the $55 non-refundable application fee. (Note: Applicants seeking a second bachelor’s degree should submit an undergraduate application for admission unless specifically requested to do otherwise.) Since applicants for post-baccalaureate programs may be limited to the choice of a single campus on each application, re-routing to alternate campuses or later changes of campus choice are not guaranteed. To be assured of initial consideration by more than one campus, it is necessary to submit separate applications (including fees) to each.

Applications submitted by way of are expected unless submission of an electronic application is impossible. 

Graduate and post-baccalaureate applicants may apply for a degree objective, a credential or certificate objective, or where approved, may have no program objective. Depending on the objective, the CSU will consider an application for admission as follows:

General Requirements
The minimum requirements for admission to graduate and post baccalaureate studies at a California State University campus are in accordance with university regulations as well as Title 5, Chapter 1, Sub-chapter 3 of the California Code of Regulations.

Specifically, a student shall at the time of enrollment:  

  1. have completed a four-year college course of study and hold an acceptable baccalaureate degree from an institution accredited by a regional accrediting association, or shall have completed equivalent academic preparation as determined by appropriate campus authorities; and
  2. be in good academic standing at the last college or university attended; and
  3. attained a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5 in an acceptable earned baccalaureate degree, or a grade point average of at least 2.5 in the last 60 semester units (90 quarter units) attempted, or hold an acceptable post-baccalaureate degree earned at a regionally accredited institution;
  4. satisfactorily meet the professional, personal, scholastic, and other standards for graduate study, including qualifying examinations, as appropriate campus authorities may prescribe. In unusual circumstances, a campus may make exceptions to these criteria.

Application Filing Periods

The application filing periods for graduate and unclassified post-baccalaureate applicants are listed on Application and Document Deadlines page of the university’s website.

Admission to a Graduate Program

Most graduate degree programs at Cal State East Bay also require that an applicant complete a separate departmental application. These programs may require that the student meet additional admission requirements above and beyond those required for admission to the university. Contact the department offering the program to obtain a departmental application form and information on departmental application deadlines and admission requirements. Also the applicant should review the chapter describing the graduate program in this catalog.

If you wish to pursue a graduate Interdisciplinary Studies Major, contact the Academic Programs and Graduate Studies Student Services Office (Student Services and Administration Building, 1st Floor, 510-885-3286) as soon as possible, preferably before you submit your admission application. You cannot be admitted as an Interdisciplinary Studies Major until your program of study has been approved.

Regularly matriculated students pursuing a state-supported master’s degree at CSUEB are not able to be simultaneously enrolled in a CSUEB University Extension degree program. Students interested in pursuing multiple master’s degrees should consult the academic department or e-mail if unsure of the programs classification. See the Dual Masters section in the Graduate Degree Information Chapter for more information.

For information on changing major, degree, or credential objectives after you have been admitted, see the Change of Educational Objective section in this chapter.

Admission Categories
Students who meet the minimum requirements for graduate and post-baccalaureate studies may be considered for admission in one of the four following categories:

Graduate Classified - To pursue a graduate degree, applicants are required to fulfill all of the professional, personal, scholastic, and other standards, including qualifying examinations, prescribed by the campus; or

Graduate Conditionally Classified - Applicants may be admitted to a graduate degree program in this category if, in the opinion of appropriate campus authority, deficiencies may be remedied by additional preparation; or

Post-Baccalaureate Classified, e.g. admission to an education credential program - Persons wishing to enroll in a credential or certificate program, will be required to satisfy additional professional, personal, scholastic, and other standards, including qualifying examinations, prescribed by the campus; or

Post-Baccalaureate Unclassified - To enroll in undergraduate courses as preparation for advanced degree programs or to enroll in graduate courses for professional or personal growth, applicants must be admitted as post-baccalaureate unclassified students. By meeting the general requirements, applicants are eligible for admission as post-baccalaureate unclassified students. Admission in this status does not constitute admission to, or assurance of consideration for admission to, any graduate degree or credential program (Most CSU campuses, including Cal State East Bay, do not offer admission to unclassified post-baccalaureate students).

(These and other CSU admissions requirements are subject to change as policies are revised and laws are amended. The CSU website,, and the CSU admissions portal,, are good sources of the most up-to-date information.)

International Admission Requirements

Cal State East Bay must assess the academic preparation of international students. For this purpose, “international students” include those who hold U.S. temporary visas as students, exchange visitors, and those in other non-immigrant classifications. California residents and U.S. citizens with international transcripts are also classified as “international students” for admission evaluation purposes. Graduate applicants must hold a degree equivalent to a four-year bachelor’s degree obtained from a recognized university. You must also have the equivalent of a 2.50 grade point average, or higher, in your last two years of college-level courses.

There are separate requirements for the admission of international students. Verification of your English proficiency (see below), financial resources, and academic performance are all important considerations in your admission.

Application Filing Periods and Deadlines for International Students

The university has established deadlines to ensure that all application materials will be processed in time to allow you to make the necessary passport, visa, travel and other arrangements to reach the campus before the start of the quarter of admission. Current deadlines applicable to international student admission can be found on the university website or by contacting the International Admissions Office (

Each applicant must have a declared educational objective when the application is filed. International students on F-1 student visas may be admitted as “Conditionally Classified Graduate,” “Classified Graduate,” or “Classified Post-Baccalaureate” students. They may not be admitted as “Unclassified Post-Baccalaureate” students, unless they have an approved course of study acceptable to the Office of Academic Programs and Graduate Studies.

Note: Some graduate programs may require admission tests such as the GMAT or GRE and a supplemental application. Please consult the individual graduate department for any additional application or admission requirements.

Academic Records

Certificates, diplomas, mark sheets, transcripts, and test scores must be sent directly from the issuing institution to the International Admissions Office to be considered official. The International Admissions Office reserves the right to determine what constitutes an official document. Certified English translations must accompany all non-English original documents. Documents submitted are the property of Cal State East Bay and will not be returned.

English Proficiency Requirement for Post-Baccalaureate and Graduate Applicants

All graduate and post-baccalaureate applicants, regardless of citizenship, whose native language is not English and whose preparatory education was principally in a language other than English, must demonstrate competence in English by presenting one of the following: 

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
Graduate: 550 (paper-based); 213 (computer-based); 79 (Internet-based)

IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
Graduate: 6.5

The Masters in Economics program requires applicants to demonstrate English competence by presenting one of the following:

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
Graduate: equivalent to 90 (Internet-based)

IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
Graduate: 7.0

Note: All test scores must be sent directly from the testing institution.

The English proficiency requirement for post-baccalaureate and graduate applicants may be waived by presenting the following: an official transcript showing graduation with a bachelor’s degree from a U.S. college or university, or an official transcript from an international college or university indicating English is the principal language of instruction, or an official letter from the college or university certifying that English was the language of instruction.

Financial Certification

International students who wish to apply for a student visa must demonstrate financial support before a letter of admission or an “I-20” or “DS-2019” form will be issued. The following forms must be submitted: I-20 Letter of Consent, Declaration of Finances, Verification of Finances, and Health Insurance Compliance. These forms can be downloaded from the “Apply Online” option on the university website.

Enrollment Requirements for F-1/J-1 Visa Students

If you are a graduate on a student visa, you are required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to take a minimum 8 quarter units per quarter that will count towards your degree as a “Graduate” student, a “Classified Post-Baccalaureate” student, or an “Unclassified Post-Baccalaureate” student with an approved course of study. For additional information, see Post-Baccalaureate Classification in this chapter. Enrollment in courses through Open University in University Extension may not count for visa certification purposes.

International Students should contact the Center for International Education ( for information on matters affecting visa status, eligibility for employment, and any special academic requirements for international students.

Transitory Admission Requirements

Graduate students are eligible for Intrasystem Concurrent Enrollment, Intrasystem Visitor Enrollment, and Cross-Registration with the University of California, Berkeley, and selected other East Bay colleges.

Intrasystem Concurrent Enrollment
If you are enrolled at any campus of the California State University, you may apply to attend another campus while concurrently enrolled at your home campus.

Eligibility Requirements: (1) You have completed at least one term at the home campus as a matriculated student, or will be enrolled concurrently in such status, (2) you are, or have been, enrolled in an authorized graduate program at your home campus, and (3) you are in good standing at the last college attended.

Intrasystem Visitor Enrollment
If you are a student of any campus of The California State University, you may apply for admission as a visiting student at another campus for a period of one term.

Eligibility Requirements: (1) You have completed at least one term at the home campus as a matriculated student, (2) you are, or have been, enrolled in an authorized graduate program at the home campus, and (3) you are in good standing at the last college attended.

For additional information on Intrasystem Concurrent Enrollment and Intrasystem Visitor Enrollment, as well as information on the Cross-registration program with the University of California, Berkeley, and selected other East Bay colleges, see “What are the Enrollment Requirements for Transitory (Visiting) Students? ” in the Undergraduate Admission and Degree Information chapter.

Fees: Graduate

The California State University is one of the most economical public universities in the nation and Cal State East Bay’s fees are among the lowest in the California State University system. Resident students currently pay only 38% of the total cost of their education.  If fee revisions occur, they will be published in the Class Schedule. Legal residents of California are not charged tuition, only fees.

The CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum.  Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate.  Therefore, CSU must reserve the right, even after initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fee, without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester or quarter has begun.  All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by The Board of Trustees.

Schedule of Graduate and Post-Baccalaureate Registration Fees, 2015-2016
Any student who holds a bachelor’s degree, which includes students pursuing a second bachelor’s degree, and all categories of graduate and post-baccalaureate students (except qualified students pursuing a teaching credential, see the next section) pay the following fees when registering at Cal State East Bay. (Legal residents of California are not charged tuition.)

Application Fee (non-refundable), payable by check or money order at time application is made:  $55

Graduate/Post-Baccalaureate Registration Fees, Effective Fall 2015 1,2

  0.1 to 6.0 6.1 or more
Tuition Fee* $1,302 $2,246
Student Body Fee 43 43
Facilities Fee 2 2
University Union Fee 55 55
University Union Recreational Fee 65 65
Instructionally Related Activities Fee 8 8
Health Services Fee 75 75
Athletics Fee 35 35
Academic Excellence Fee 80 80
Photo I.D. Photo I.D. (quarterly fee) 1 1
Total $1,666 $2,610

*Note: The Tuition Fee for graduate and post-baccalaureate students for the academic year (three quarters) is $4,998 for 0.1 to 6.0 units a quarter and $7,830 for 6.1 or more units a quarter. 

Graduate Business Professional Fee, 2015-2016
The Graduate Business Professional Fee is charged in addition to the Tuition Fee and campus fees. The per-unit fee of $169.00 is charged for required courses taken by students who have been admitted and enrolled in one of the following Professional Business Graduate Programs: Master of Business Administration (MBA), MS Business Administration, MS Taxation. The fee is also charged for prerequisite courses taken by students who have an admission status and are enrolled in one of these programs.

Schedule of Education Doctorate Registration Fees, 2015-2016
Students pursuing the Education Doctorate degree pay the following fees when registering at Cal State East Bay. (Legal residents of California are not charged tuition.)

Education Doctorate Registration Fees, Effective Fall 2015 1,2

  0.1 to 22.0 Units
Tuition Fee* $3,706
Student Body Fee 43
Facilities Fee 2
University Union Fee 55
University Union Recreational Fee 65
Instructionally Related Activities Fee 8
Health Services Fee 75
Athletics Fee 35
Academic Excellence Fee 80
Photo I.D. Photo I.D. (quarterly fee) 1
Total $4,070

*Note: The Tuition Fee for Education Doctorate students for Fall 2015 through Summer 2016 is $16,280 regardless of units. Applicable term fees apply for campuses with special terms, as determined by the campus.  Total College Year fees cannot exceed the Academic Year plus Summer Term fees.

For information on how to pay fees, as well as information on other fees (e.g., library fees, individual course fees, test fees, etc.), see the Student Financial Services  chapter in this catalog. The Student Financial Services chapter also has information on the policies governing debts owed to CSUEB.

Credit Cards, Cash, Check

You may use credit cards (American Express, Discover, and MasterCard), cash, or check for payment of registration fees. See the current Class Schedule for additional information.

Fees: Credential

Students seeking an initial Multiple Subject, Single Subject, or Special Education teaching credential who have been admitted to a credential program with “classified” or “conditionally classified” status pay the following fees. This fee level will apply whether or not the student is simultaneously enrolled in a master’s degree program.

Qualified Teacher Credential Registration Fees, Effective Fall 2015 1,2

  0.1 to 6.0 Units 6.1 to more Units
Tuition Fee* $1,228 $2,116
Student Body Fee 43 43
Facilities Fee 2 2
University Union Fee 55 55
University Union Recreational Fee 65 65
Instructionally Related Activities Fee 8 8
Health Services Fee 75 75
Athletics Fee 35 35
Academic Excellence Fee 80 80
Photo I.D. Photo I.D. (quarterly fee) 1 1
Total $1,592 $2,480

*Note:The Tuition Fee for qualified teacher credential students for the academic year (three quarters) is $4,776 for 0.1 to 6.0 units a quarter and $7,4 for 6.1 or more units a quarter.

Credit Cards, Cash, Check

You may use credit cards (American Express, Discover, Visa, and MasterCard), cash, or check for payment of registration fees. See the current Class Schedule for additional information.

Residency Determination

The Office of Admission determines residence status of all new and returning students for nonresident tuition purposes. For information on the criteria used in making this determination, as well as residence determination dates, see the Undergraduate Admission and Degree Information  chapter in this catalog. (Legal residents of California are not charged tuition, only fees. See the Nonresident Tuition section.)

Nonresident Tuition

Nonresident Tuition (in addition to other fees charged to all students) per unit or fraction thereof is $248.

Note: The total nonresident tuition paid per quarter will be determined by the number of units taken. Mandatory system wide fees are waived for those individuals who qualify for such exemption under the provisions of the California Education Code (see section on Fee Waivers  in the Student Financial Services chapter).

Graduate Education: Defined

The master’s degree is awarded for completion of a planned and integrated program of advanced study. It recognizes that a student has mastered a particular field sufficiently to pursue creative or applied projects in that field.

When you complete your graduate degree, you will have acquired a mastery of a particular area of knowledge; an ability to relate that knowledge to knowledge in other disciplines; an ability to deal systematically with the concepts, theory, and principles in new situations; an ability to formulate and deal with problems on an advanced level; methodological, technical, and communication skills essential for advanced study; an ability to undertake independent investigation and research; abilities characteristic of professional performance; and attitudes conducive to continuous intellectual and professional development.

Every master’s degree program includes what is termed a capstone experience. This may include a thesis or its equivalent, a comprehensive examination, a specialized internship, a project, or case study report, a musical recital, gallery showing, or other comparable achievement. Your completion of the capstone experience demonstrates that you have successfully integrated the various elements of the graduate learning experience and have gained an in-depth knowledge of your discipline.

Graduate Student: Defined

A student is considered a Graduate Student at Cal State East Bay if they have been admitted to a specific master’s degree program as a “Conditionally Classified” or “Classified” student, or to an advanced credential program which can be earned in conjunction with a master’s degree. Basic teacher credential programs constitute a separate area of post-baccalaureate work, and students in these programs are defined as “Classified Post-Baccalaureate” students.

Information regarding master’s degrees and credentials can be found under the appropriate department’s listing in the graduate section of this catalog.

Master’s Degree Requirements

A student wishing to earn a master’s degree must complete the five requirements listed below:

  1. Fulfill the University Writing Skills Requirement;
  2. Be Advanced to Candidacy;
  3. Complete at least 45 quarter units applicable to your degree (45-52 in the Interdisciplinary Studies Major, 48 in Public Administration, 52-54 in Multimedia, 52-64 in the MBA, 72 in Counseling or Social Work).
    • All units must be earned within the five calendar years immediately preceding the receipt of your degree. (Outdated units may be accepted for one additional year with the approval of your department and the Senior, Academic Programs and Graduate Studies. If not completed in the sixth year, currency in the subject matter of the outdated courses must be demonstrated. Courses older than seven years are only applied to the degree in exceptional circumstances.)
    • A minimum of seventy (70) percent of the total units required by the degree program must be completed in residence while enrolled as an admitted graduate student at Cal State East Bay. (Note: The number of transferable units for each degree program will be rounded to the nearest whole number of units.) Units taken while at other schools, while an undergraduate with permission to take graduate courses, while pursuing an additional baccalaureate degree in “Unclassified Post–Baccalaureate” status, while enrolled in another graduate degree program, or while enrolled in Continuing Education courses-including Open University courses-do not count as resident units. Courses offered in special session are considered resident units. Please note that individual graduate programs may require more than 70 percent of the required degree units in residence, so check your particular program’s section of this catalog for these requirements.
    • At least 1/2 of the units in your program must be 6000-level.
    • No lower division units can be counted.
    • No more than 9 units of university thesis or 5 units of departmental thesis or project work can be counted.
    • No more than 15 units may be in CR/NC courses (16 in Public Administration, 24 in Counseling, and 24 in Social Work).
  4. Complete a program of study approved by your department, which must include a thesis, project, or comprehensive examination; and
  5. Earn a 3.0 grade point average in all units counted towards your degree, with a minimum course grade of “C” in every course. Any course that counts toward your degree requirements with a grade of “C-” or below will have to be repeated. Please note that individual graduate programs may require a higher minimum grade, so students should check your program’s section of this catalog for these requirements.

Doctoral Degree Requirements

Cal State East Bay offers one doctoral program, the Ed.D. in Educational Leadership for Social Justice. Students accepted into this Ed.D. program should work very closely with their academic advisors to ensure that all policies and procedures are being followed. Policies and procedures for continuing student performance as well as program graduation requirements for this doctoral program are different from those required for students in master’s programs. See the Ed.D. program information in this Catalog or contact the department office or website directly for specific requirements and program information for the Ed.D. degree.

Catalog Rights for Graduation

To meet the five requirements listed in the previous section, you must follow the specifics listed in this catalog. As long as you maintain attendance by enrolling in at least two quarters each calendar year, your degree requirements will remain those in this catalog. However, you may elect to meet the requirements of the catalog in effect at the time you graduate. These principles are called your “catalog rights.” If you are absent due to an approved Educational Leave or to attend another accredited institution of higher education, you will not lose your catalog rights as long as you are not away for more than two years. Your catalog rights for your master’s degree are governed by the catalog in effect at the time you were admitted to your program. If you break attendance by not enrolling in two quarters in a calendar year, your graduation requirements will be governed by the catalog in effect at the time you reenter.

Please note that requirements of certain programs (e.g., teacher credential programs) are governed by outside agencies. The requirements of these programs are subject to change based on changes dictated by these outside agencies. 

University Writing Skills Requirement

All CSU graduates must demonstrate competency in writing prior to receiving a degree by satisfying the University Writing Skills requirement (UWSR). Graduate students can meet this requirement in one of the following ways:

  1. If you have previously satisfied the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement at CSUEB or at another CSU campus, CSUEB will accept official certification of completion if the entire requirement, as specified by that CSU campus, was satisfied and you were a matriculated student at the time.
  2. If you have graduated from any one of the CSU campuses; unless it is noted on your transcript that your USWR was not satisfied.
  3. If you received an essay score of 4.5 or higher on the GMAT or GRE or an essay score of 53 or higher on the CBEST.
  4. If you pass the Writing Skills Test (WST) at CAL STATE East Bay. See WST (Option One) for details.
  5. If you pass a first-tier writing course and possibly a second-tier writing course (if needed). See Course (Option Two) for details.

If you  have not satisfied the UWSR before you begin your graduate work, you must either take the Writing Skills Test or enroll in a first-tier course by the end of your first quarter in “Conditionally Classified graduate” status. If you do not take the test or course when required, you may have a hold placed on your ability to register and may be dropped from your classes. If you think your writing is competent, you should take the Writing Skills Test. The UWSR must be satisfied before you can be admitted as a “Classified Graduate” student and, consequently, before you can be advanced to candidacy and receive a degree.

WST (Option One): The Writing Skills Test consists of an analytic essay that requires you to demonstrate that you can think and write critically. You must pass the WST and satisfy the UWSR with a score of Clear Competence (old 8) to meet the requirement. If you fail the WST, you have only one opportunity to take it again. If you fail it again, your highest score of the two will determine your placement in courses. If your score is Limited Competence (old 6), you will be required to take the course option (see below). If your score is Developing Competence (old 7), you need only take a second-tier course and pass with a C-(CR) or better to satisfy the UWSR.

Course (Option Two):  ENGL 3000  and ENGL 3001  are the first-tier courses, designed to help students meet the University Writing Skills Requirement. Students who have taken the Writing Skills Test (WST) and have received Limited Competence (6) must take this course and perhaps a second-tier course as well. Students who choose to meet this requirement through class work do not ever have to take the WST although you may take it at any time, for a total of two attempts, even when enrolled in a writing skills course. Generally speaking, ENGL 3000 is intended for native speakers of English, while ENGL 3001  is intended for non-native speakers. Based on end-of-course portfolio evaluation scores, at the end of the first-tier course you will be directed as to your next step, which will involve one of the following: You may be found to have met the UWSR requirement altogether, you may be directed to enroll in a second-tier course, or you may be directed to repeat first tier.

Two second-tier courses are currently offered: ENGL 3003 , and MKTG 3495  (business majors are required to take this course in the major but may not enroll until they have reached Developing Competence on the WST or passed a first-tier course). If you passed one of these courses prior to Fall 2000, it may not meet the UWSR. For more information on these courses, contact the individual department.

If you have taken the first-tier course three times consecutively and have not passed and have a letter of good faith effort from your most recent first-tier instructor, you may apply to the Associate Vice President, Academic Programs and Graduate Studies, for a waiver of the UWSR. If a waiver is granted, your permanent record will note that you were allowed to graduate without having satisfied the UWSR. If you do not satisfy the requirement and do not have a waiver approved, you will not be allowed to graduate. Contact the Office of Academic Programs and Graduate Studies for information on this waiver (510.885.3718).

If you receive a grade of “D+” or “D” in a second-tier writing course (taken Fall Quarter, 2000 or later), you may appeal to the Associate Vice President, Academic Programs and Graduate Studies, for a waiver of the UWSR. If a waiver is granted, your permanent record will note that you were allowed to graduate without having satisfied the UWSR. If you do not satisfy the requirement and do not have a waiver approved, you will not be allowed to graduate. Contact the Office of Academic Programs and Graduate Studies for information on this waiver (510.885.3718).

If you have a verified disability and would like to request accommodations to assist you in satisfying this requirement, visit Accessibility Services in Library Complex 2400 or call 510-885-3868 (phone/TTY).

For more information on meeting the University Writing Skills Requirement, see the Testing Office website or call 510-885-3661.


“Candidacy” is a status which recognizes completion of substantial progress towards your degree. A student becomes eligible for Advancement to Candidacy when they:

  1. have become a “Classified Graduate” student in good standing;
  2. have completed at least 12 quarter units of 6000-level coursework with a minimum 3.0 GPA;
  3. have designed a formal program of study approved by your graduate advisor;
  4. have fulfilled the University Writing Skills Requirement;
  5. have completed other department prerequisites for advancement; and
  6. are recommended for Advancement to Candidacy by their academic advisor (subject to approval by the department’s graduate coordinator).

Capstone Experiences

The capstone experience of the graduate program will be the successful completion of a thesis, project, or comprehensive examination. The quality of the student’s work, including quality of expression, is the major consideration in judging the success of this degree component.

A thesis is the written product of a systematic study of a significant issue. In the thesis, the student is expected to identify the issue, state the major assumptions, explain the significance of the project, detail sources for and methods of obtaining data, provide analysis of the data, and offer conclusions. The thesis should demonstrate original critical and independent thinking, appropriate organization and format, and thorough documentation. If the research involves human subjects, the protocols must be approved by the Institutional Review Board (see “Research with Human Subjects” in the Appendix ).

Cal State East Bay offers two kinds of master’s degree theses, University Thesis (numbered 6910) and Departmental Thesis (numbered 6909). Students required, or electing, to write a thesis must register for a minimum of one unit of either 6909 or 6910 in order to receive credit toward completion of this capstone experience. Students should check with the department for information on the number of units for which they must enroll.

Most criteria are the same for both the Departmental Thesis and the University Thesis.

  • The candidate must be a graduate student (i.e., admitted to a master’s degree program) to enroll in a thesis course; the academic department may add additional requirements.
  • The student’s thesis work will be supervised by a departmental committee which must include at least one Cal State East Bay faculty member who is a member of the major department.
  • The student may not receive credit for more units of thesis work than allowed by the degree program.
  • Each quarter the student will receive a grade of “RP” (Report in Progress) for units earned in 6909 or 6910 until they have completed their thesis; the student will then be given a final grade for the entire course. No “RP” units will be counted towards the degree or in calculating their GPA. If the thesis is not approved within five years of your initial enrollment in a thesis course, the “RP” grade(s) will be changed to “F” or “NC” (depending on the grading pattern of the course).
  • Normally a degree candidate will be required to present an oral defense of their thesis.

There are also a few significant differences between the two kinds of theses.

  • A Master’s degree candidate may not earn more than 9 units for University Thesis, while the maximum for Departmental Thesis is 5 units. Several departments have lower unit requirements, so the student should check the program description in this catalog.
  • The format of a University Thesis is established by the Associate Vice President, Academic Programs and Graduate Studies. Since these works are expected to serve as resources for future research, the format is formal. An electronic copy is placed in the Institutional Repository. A Departmental Thesis, on the other hand, is usually not as formal. The Departmental Thesis standards and format are determined by the department, and the thesis is retained by the department.  

University Thesis: For information on the steps to follow (the approval process, required format for the structural elements of the thesis, and deadlines) when writing a University Thesis, consult the University Thesis Writing Guide available online at If a student has questions concerning the selection of a topic, and/or the procedure to establish a thesis committee and research protocols, they should contact their department advisor or graduate coordinator. If the student has additional questions concerning the formatting and binding of their University Thesis after having read the University Thesis Writing Guide, it is recommended they contact the University Thesis Editor at

Departmental Thesis: For information about a Departmental Thesis (the department’s thesis guidelines, including format, acceptable thesis topics, and procedures to establish a thesis committee) contact the department advisor or graduate coordinator.

A project is a significant piece of non-written work in either a fine or applied art or a professional field. Projects should provide evidence of originality, independent thinking, and appropriate form and organization. Students are required to describe their project in a written abstract that addresses the project’s significance, objectives, methodology, and conclusions. In some cases, the student may be required to present an oral defense.

Specific criteria for a Project (numbered 6899) are the same as those for a Departmental Thesis with a few exceptions.

  • An “RP” grade in a project course will become an “F” (no “NC” option) after one year if your project is not completed.
  • While the project need not be considered a research resource, it should be of a caliber to constitute a valid terminal activity in a master’s degree program and will be permitted only when a thesis is not appropriate.

If a Master’s degree student changes from a program requiring a thesis to one requiring a project (or vice versa), they may count a combined maximum of 9 units for 6909, 6910, and 6899 towards the degree.

Comprehensive Examination
A comprehensive examination is intended to assess the student’s mastery of relevant subject matter, their ability to analyze and integrate the knowledge of their field, their skill in critical and independent thinking, and their use of appropriate organization and accurate documentation. A record of the student’s examination (questions and responses) will be retained by their department. Some departments grant unit credit for exam preparation while others do not.

Graduate Study Completion

If you have completed all the units required for your master’s degree, but are still working on your thesis, project, or studying for a comprehensive exam, you can have continued access to university facilities by registering for GS 6990 Graduate Study Completion, through University Extension, Continuing and International Education. This is a 1-unit course with a fee of $78 (fee subject to change). The other alternative is to register for 0.1 units through the regular registration process at a cost of approximately $1164. Registering for GS 6990 will provide you with a valid Student ID card, the ability to check books out of the library, remote access to computerized databases in the library, use of computer labs on campus, the ability to continue to work on projects in science labs, eligibility to purchase a parking permit, and access to other benefits enjoyed by regularly registered students.

Note: GS 6990 cannot be used to satisfy any unit or course requirements for your degree.

You can register by picking up a “GS 6990 Graduate Study Completion Form” in your department or in the University Extension Office in SA 1700. You will need to obtain a signature from your major department.

Policies and Procedures

Master’s degree students must follow the same registration policies and procedures as required for undergraduate students. (See the Registration chapter for details.)

Registration procedures for Thesis or Project courses are slightly different. Master’s students must complete a “Special Registration Petition” for each quarter they wish to enroll in one of these courses. The petition should be submitted to the department office. This must be done no later than the last day of the Late Add period. The student is responsible for checking on the progress of this procedure.

Prerequisites: See “What information do students need to enroll in classes?  ” in the Registration chapter.

It is an integral part of the teaching responsibility of the faculty to provide careful evaluation and timely assignment of an appropriate grade to each enrolled student. There is a presumption that grades assigned are correct. It is the responsibility of anyone appealing an assigned grade to demonstrate otherwise. In the absence of compelling reasons, such as instructor or clerical error, prejudice, or capriciousness, the grade determined by the instructor of record will be considered final. 

For purposes of correcting an error, an instructor may change a grade with approval of his/her department chair and college dean. No grade may be changed once a student’s graduation has been recorded. The administrative symbol for withdrawal cannot be assigned by a faculty member. See “What changes can students make in their enrollment status?  ” in the Registration chapter for a description of withdrawal policies and procedures.

The grading symbols used for graduate courses are as follows:

Academic Grades Standard of Work Represented Grade (Quality) Points
A Superior 4.0
A- Superior 3.7
B+ Adequate 3.3
B Adequate 3.0
B- Adequate3 2.7
C+ Substandard 2.3
C Substandard 2.0
C- Substandard 1.7
D+ Unacceptable 1.3
D Unacceptable 1.0
F Failing 0
CR4 Credit 0
NC4 No Credit 0


Administrative Grades Symbols5 Definitions Grade (Quality) Points Earned
RP Report in Progress 0.0
I Incomplete (Authorized) 0.0
IC Incomplete Charged 0.0
RD Report Delayed 0.0
W Withdrawal 0.0
WU Withdrawal Unauthorized 0.0
AU Audit 0.0

Academic Grades: The typical grading pattern for courses you will take is “A-F”; the use of “+” and “-” is at the discretion of each instructor. Some departments do not allow “C” or “D” grades to be applied towards a master’s degree; check with the academic department about its policy. A student may use courses taken on a “CR/NC” basis to meet the degree requirements only if the courses are offered exclusively on that basis. Typically, these courses are restricted to fieldwork and internships and a “CR” grade indicates that the student’s work is at least of “B-” quality. In no case, however, may more than 15 units of the master’s degree work be earned with “CR” grades in the standard 45-unit master’s degree program. In post-baccalaureate (5000-level) courses, a “CR” grade also indicates that the work is at least of “B-” quality.

Administrative Grades: A student may also receive the administrative grades indicated above. It is important that students observe the differences among them. As noted in the Capstone Experiences section the Report in Progress grade (“RP”) is used in courses when assigned work extends beyond one quarter. It indicates that work is in progress and has been evaluated and found satisfactory to date, but that assignment of a precise grade must await completion of additional work. A student cannot enroll in more units of RP-graded courses than are applicable to your degree. An “RP” in a thesis course becomes an “F” or an “NC” if the work is not completed in five years; an “RP” grade in any other course becomes an “F” or an “NC” after one year.

The Incomplete (Authorized) grade (“I”) is used to indicate that (1) a discrete portion of the required coursework has not been completed and evaluated in the prescribed time period due to unforeseen but fully justified reasons, (2) attending a future offering of the class is not required to complete the work, and (3) the instructor believes it likely that the student will earn credit for the course upon completion of that work. An “I” must normally be made up within one calendar year immediately following the end of the term during which it was assigned. This limitation prevails whether or not the student maintains continuous enrollment. If the student receives an “I” and does not complete the work within the period specified by the instructor (in no case to exceed one year), the grade will be changed to an “IC” or “NC,” depending on the grading pattern in which the student enrolled. (An extension may be granted by the department if military service or serious health or personal problems prevent the student from completing the work, or if the professor is away on leave during the quarter of expiration. Such extensions are for one quarter only, up to a maximum of two extensions, and must be approved by the instructor and the department chair.) The Request for Extension of Incomplete Grade form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar before the end of the term in which the grade will lapse.

An Incomplete Charged (“IC”) is used when the student receives an authorized incomplete (“I”), but does not complete the required coursework within the allowed time, and the original grading pattern of the course was “A-F.” The “IC” replaces the “I” and is counted as a failing grade for computing their grade point average. The student may be able to receive up to two one-quarter extensions from the instructor. These extensions are for cause and must be approved by both the instructor and department chair. (Examples of cause include military service, serious health or personal problems, or instructor’s leave of absence.) If the student wants credit for a course after an “I” has been converted to an “IC,” they must re-register and pass the course.
A student can graduate with an “I” grade on their record if the course is not necessary for graduation. Remember that no grade may be changed once graduation has been posted

A Withdrawal Unauthorized (“WU”) indicates that the student enrolled in a course, but did not withdraw from the course and also failed to complete course requirements. It is used when, in the opinion of the instructor, completed assignments or course activities, or both, were insufficient to make normal evaluation of academic performance possible. The “WU” is counted in your grade point average as an “F” grade.

The Report Delayed grade (“RD”) is rarely used, and will be assigned by the Registrar only if grade reports are delayed by circumstances beyond the student’s control, such as their instructor’s illness.

A student may drop a course at any time during the first two weeks of instruction. (For Drop procedures, see the Class Schedule.) No mention of a dropped course appears on the student’s permanent record. After the first two weeks of the quarter, students may Withdraw from a course, and a “W” grade will be assigned if the reason for their request to withdraw from the course is due to circumstances beyond the student’s control and they have obtained the appropriate approvals. This grade carries no connotation as to the quality of the work and is not included in GPA calculations. Under extreme circumstances the student may decide that they must withdraw from all their courses. If the student believes this may be necessary, they must contact their graduate advisor or department chair as soon as possible for advice on the appropriate procedures to follow. (See What changes can students make in their enrollment status?   in the Registration chapter and “What are the administrative grading symbols, and what do they signify?” in the undergraduate Grading and Academic Standards chapter for additional information on withdrawal procedures.)

Grade Point Average (GPA): The student’s grade point average (GPA) is calculated by dividing the total number of quality hours (units attempted, excluding CR/NC courses) into the number of grade (quality) points earned. If they repeat a course required in the major, their department has the discretion, under specific circumstances, not to include an earlier attempt in the GPA calculation. The approval not to include the earlier attempt in the student’s degree program must be submitted by their department to the Office of the Registrar. This may be done at any time while a student is enrolled in the degree program, but may not be done after they have been awarded their degree.

The graduate program coordinator or department chair also has the discretion to request that grades in courses that do not count towards graduate degree requirements be excluded from a student’s GPA calculation. This will be permitted only if those grades result in the student being placed on academic probation. These may include courses taken in a second baccalaureate program, or courses taken in a different graduate degree program. They may not be courses taken in the degree program that the student subsequently elects not to count toward graduate program requirements. They also may not include grades for courses that the student used for a conferred post-baccalaureate degree. The request not to include a grade in a student’s GPA calculation must be submitted by the graduate coordinator or department chair to the Office of Academic Programs and Graduate Studies which will make the final determination of the request. This may be done at any time while a student is in the degree program, but may not be done after they have been awarded their degree.

If the student’s GPA falls below 3.00, they should consult immediately with the graduate coordinator or major department chair.

Final Examinations: The student can expect the instructors to provide comprehensive course requirement information for each course at the beginning of the quarter. This will include the work that is expected of the student and the basis on which the student will be evaluated. Most courses have graded assignments throughout the quarter and a final examination or paper. The university’s policy states that final examinations must be given only at the times published in the Class Schedule. The purpose of this policy is to ensure fairness for all students. Exceptions are, therefore, rare and must be approved in writing by the department chair. A student should contact the department chair or college dean if they believe this policy is not being followed. If the student is in a course which has a separate laboratory, activity or discussion section, the instructor is permitted to give a separate final examination (but only for that section) during the last regularly scheduled meeting of the section.

Probation and Disqualification: There are two types of probation and disqualification: (1) academic, and (2) administrative. If a student is an “Unclassified Post-Baccalaureate” student, that is not in a master’s degree or credential program, all of the following policies apply except that the minimum GPA requirement is 2.50 instead of 3.00.

Academic Probation
Students must maintain a 3.00 GPA in all units attempted after admission to their graduate program, including all prerequisite courses, to remain in good standing. If the student’s GPA falls below 3.00, they will be placed on Academic Probation. (Grades in any coursework taken after admission to the student’s master’s program at CSUEB will count towards the GPA calculation for academic probation.) Should this happen, the student must consult with their graduate advisor prior to registering for the next quarter. The student is also encouraged to take advantage of various university services (such as advising and tutoring) designed to assist them.

Academic Disqualification
A student may be subject to academic disqualification by the Senior Director, Academic Programs and Graduate Studies if during any quarter while on probation they do not achieve the minimum 3.0 GPA in all units taken after admission to their graduate program. The student may also be disqualified if, at any time, they do not meet the academic criteria of their department. In addition, an appropriate campus administrator may disqualify a student who at any time during enrollment has demonstrated behavior so contrary to the standards of the profession for which the student is preparing as to render him/her unfit for the profession. In such cases, disqualification will occur immediately upon notice to the student.

Administrative Academic Probation
A student may be placed on Administrative Probation if they:

  • withdraw from all courses for two consecutive quarters or any three quarters;
  • do not progress towards their degree while enrolled (such as earning a number of “NC” grades);
  • do not comply with appropriate academic requirements (such as taking the Writing Skills Test); or
  • earn only “IC,” “F,” “WU,” and/or “NC” grades for two consecutive, or any three quarters. 

Administrative Academic Disqualification
A student will be administratively disqualified if they:

  • do not meet the conditions for removal of their Administrative Probation;
  • are placed on Administrative Probation twice for the same reason;
  • are placed on Academic Probation while on Administrative Probation. 

Reinstatement to a Graduate Program
If a student is disqualified, either academically or administratively, they may apply for reinstatement to their graduate program by completing a “Petition for Graduate Reinstatement.” The petition must be approved by your Graduate Coordinator or the department chair. Reinstatement will be approved only if the student is able to provide compelling evidence of their ability to complete their degree. Then it will be forwarded for consideration to the Senior Director, Academic Programs and Graduate Studies who has final authority to approve reinstatement. If a student should become disqualified a second time, their reinstatement will normally not be considered. Reinstatement petitions are available on the Office of Graduate Studies web site.

Declassification from a Degree Program: A student may be declassified (dropped) from a graduate degree or credential program for a range of reasons, including, but not restricted to, unprofessional conduct; behavioral issues that interfere with the learning of others; failure to make progress toward the degree or program as set forth by the University and program policies; failure to meet grade requirements to maintain good standing in the program and/or University; and/or the department/program faculty determine that the student is incapable of completing degree requirements at the level expected of a graduate student in the discipline even if the GPA is above a 3.0.

The declassification request must be initiated by the major department with support from the department/program chair and college dean or designee. Requests are submitted to the Office of Academic Programs and Graduate Studies for final action and official notification to the student and the Registrar’s Office. The Office of Academic Programs and Graduate Studies will also determine if the student should also be academically or administratively disqualified from the University. If the student is not disqualified from the University and wishes to continue in the University, a declassified student must formally apply to another graduate program or apply as a second baccalaureate student. (Second baccalaureate status is closed for budget reasons until further notice.) Declassified students will not be permitted to enroll through regular University or Open University in any undergraduate or graduate courses in the program or degree from which they were declassified. Unless the declassification was related to conduct issues that interfere with campus interactions, declassified students are eligible to apply to a new program and be accepted as a student by the department/program. The student must be accepted to a new program no later than three quarters after being declassified; otherwise, the student must reapply to the University.

Resolution of Disputes
If a student believes they have received an inappropriate grade or have been treated in an unfair way and they cannot resolve the matter informally with the instructor and department chair, the student should present their case to the Presidential Appointee to the Grade Appeal and Academic Grievance Committee (Academic Programs and Graduate Studies; Tel. 510-885-3716), no later than one quarter after the disputed grade was recorded. The Grade Appeal Committee may authorize a change of grade under certain circumstances (see the Grading and Academic Standards  chapter). If the instructor of record does not assign a grade to an individual student, the appropriate failing grade for nonattendance (“WU” or “NC”) is automatically recorded by Enrollment Management. A student may petition the Grade Appeal Committee if they believe the instructor should have assigned an academic grade. For additional information, see “What recourse do students have if they believe they have received a grade that is inappropriate?” in the Grading and Academic Standards   chapter.

Because graduate students constitute a select group whose members do very well in their programs, there are no academic honors conferred at graduation, and no dean’s list recognition as is the case for undergraduates.

Post-Baccalaureate Classification

A student will be classified a full- or part-time student according to the following criteria:

  • Full-time enrollment for a “Graduate” or “Classified Post-Baccalaureate” student is 8 or more units. A student is considered to be a part-time student if they are enrolled for fewer than 8 units.
  • Full-time enrollment for an “Unclassified Post-Baccalaureate” student (i.e., not enrolled in a master’s degree program), is 12 or more units.
  • If a student is receiving financial aid or benefits from other programs (e.g., Veterans Administration or State Department of Vocational Rehabilitation), they may be subject to specific enrollment requirements to maintain your eligibility. The student should check directly with the source of their benefits.
  • If the student is an international student on a non-immigrant visa, the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) requires that the student pursue a full-time course of study in a specific program. The student is expected to complete 8 units per quarter and 24 per year.

Also see “Academic Load” under “What information do students need to enroll in classes?  ” in the Registration chapter.

Credit for Transferred Courses

If a student has earned credit at another institution which they wish to apply to a graduate program at Cal State East Bay, they may transfer up to 13 quarter units. (However, this number may be reduced if the student has other non-residence credit they wish to apply to their degree.) To request transfer credit:

  1. The student must have taken the course after earning a bachelor’s degree;
  2. Their department must accept the course(s) as relevant to their degree program;
  3. The institution at which the student took the course must customarily grant the level of credit for the course (graduate or upper division) that the student wishes to receive for it at Cal State East Bay;
  4. The student must have taken the course within five calendar years immediately preceding the receipt of their degree.

A student may also apply units earned through the CSU International Programs that meet the criteria outlined above. No more than half of the 45 units required for the degree may be earned in this manner. If a student also wishes to apply transfer credits to their degree, the total of the transfer and International Program units may not exceed one-half of those required for the degree. If a student completes their capstone experience (thesis, project, or comprehensive examination) while in the International Programs, this must be done under the supervision of at least one Cal State East Bay faculty member.

Also see “Credit for Non-Collegiate Instruction” in the Registration  chapter.

In general, Cal State East Bay does not allow the use of credit-by-examination from challenged courses for master’s degree requirements. Exceptions may be established by individual departments and must be noted in the degree description in the University Catalog. They are governed by the following policies:

  • The student must pass the exam challenging the course with a grade of “B-” or better;
  • Not more than 13 units of credit-by-examination may be applied to your degree; and
  • Challenged courses may not be credited to the residency requirement of your degree.

Change of Educational Objective

If the student is a continuing post-baccalaureate student wishing to change their degree objective or credential program, or they wish to change from “Unclassified” status to a graduate degree or credential program, the student must file a “Change of Graduate Objective” form with the Office of Graduate Admissions. Forms are available from, and should be submitted to the Student Enrollment Information Center (Student Services and Administration Building on the Hayward Hills campus), the Office of Graduate Admissions, or to the Academic Services Office at the Concord Campus.

Dual Master’s Degrees

If a student wishes to pursue two master’s degrees at the same time, they should indicate this on their application or “Change of Graduate Objective” form filed with the Office of Graduate Admissions:

  1. Note that a student must fulfill all prerequisites and requirements for each degree (up to 13 units from the first degree may be applied to the second degree if agreed to by the second degree program); and
  2. The student must earn all units for each master’s degree within the five calendar years immediately preceding the receipt of each degree.

If both degrees are in the same field (e.g., business administration), the degrees must each be earned in a different option and all 45 or more units must be from different courses.

Second Master’s Degrees

If a student already has a master’s degree and wants to pursue a second master’s degree, they must meet the following criteria:

  1. The student must apply and gain admission to the department offering the second master’s degree program;
  2. The student must fulfill all prerequisites and requirements for the second degree;
  3. The student completes at least 32 units (32-39 in the Special Major, 35 in Public Administration, 39-41 in Multimedia, 59 in Counseling) in the second degree. Up to 13 units from the first degree may be applied to the second degree if accepted by the second degree program;
  4. The student must earn all units for the second master’s degree within the five calendar years immediately preceding the receipt of the degree.


If the second degree is in the same field as your first degree (e.g., business administration), the second degree must be in a different option and all 45 or more units must be from different courses.

Applying for Graduation

Students are advised to review completion of degree requirements with their department before filing for graduation.

Students must apply for graduation one term in advance of the term in which they intend to graduate. Students must apply prior to the end of the Late Add period. Deadlines to file are listed under Important Dates on the University website under “Current Students”. Continuing students can log into MyCSUEB on the university website ( and click on “Apply for Graduation.” The student will be prompted to select the term for which they wish to graduate. There will only be one term to select since graduation applications are only accepted for one quarter at a time. A confirmation page will then appear. The student should print this page and give a copy to their department. Discontinued students can file for graduation using the “Application for Graduation for Closed Matriculation” form on the University website under “Current Students”.

The graduation filing fee will be charged to the student’s account after they file for graduation. The fee can be paid by one of the following ways:

  • online at MyCSUEB (
  • in person at the Cashiers’ Office in the Student Enrollment Information Center (Student Services and Administration Building, 1st Floor) on the Hayward Hills Campus
  • in person in the Academic Services Office on the Concord Campus

The Graduation Application Fee covers the cost of the graduation check of coursework completed the diploma, and participation in the annual commencement ceremony (but not including cap and gown rental/purchase, handled separately by the Bookstore). The fee is non-refundable, but if a student does not graduate when they originally intended, the fee will be transferred to the subsequent quarter automatically.

When a student files for graduation, they may obtain a new registration priority. To register for classes as a graduating graduate student, students must be a “Classified Graduate” who is recommended for Advancement to Candidacy by their advisor and who has made substantial progress towards their degree by the time the registration appointments are assigned.

If a student is completing an undergraduate Single Subject Matter Preparation Program for entry into a teaching credential program, or they are completing a graduate Single or Multiple Subject Credential Program, they should not file for graduation, but be certain that the appropriate check sheet is submitted by the department or program committee offering the program to the Credential Student Service Center in the College of Education and Allied Studies.

After a student has completed all degree requirements and the graduation evaluator has verified their completion, their degree will be conferred and their diploma will be ordered. The final graduation evaluation process typically takes up to three months following the posting of grades from the student’s last quarter of graduation candidacy. The diploma will be mailed to the student’s address of record with the university 4-6 weeks after the degree has been awarded.

A diploma is an official document containing the embossed seal of Cal State East Bay, the student’s name, the degree conferred and date, major(s) completed in the degree conferred, any options or minors completed, and the signatures of state and university officials. It is not reproducible or available in multiple copies. Students can obtain multiple copies of their record by ordering transcripts which also show degrees, majors and options, as well as other information. If a student needs proof of completion of their degree before receiving their diploma, they may request a verification of graduation or a transcript from the Office of the Registrar. Should a student change their name, they may request that a new diploma be issued with their new name if (1) they return the originally issued diploma to the Office of the Registrar (2) they provide legal documents confirming their legal name change, and (3) the student pays the fee for a new diploma.

After the degree is posted to a student’s permanent record, a student’s diploma and transcript cannot be altered by adding additional options, or by grade changes, and/or withdrawals. The University protects the integrity of its transcripts and will not rewrite history unless a University error has occurred.

Doctorate Information

For information regarding the Doctor of Education, please see the Educational Leadership chapter  in the graduate section of this catalog. A copy of the Doctoral Student Handbook may be requested from the Department of Educational Leadership, Dr. Jose Lopez, Doctoral Program Director, Arts & Education Building, Room 250, Tel: 510-885-4145; email: Department web site:


  1. Fee adjustments subject to the policies established in Executive Order 661.
  2. Disclaimer - Cost of Collection: Unpaid Tuition and Fees. You are subject to normal collection actions for unpaid debts including: assessment of late registration and past due fees, withholding of University services, withholding of credit for and disenrollment from some or all classes, referral of the debt to a collection agency and/or credit reporting agency, intercept of amounts due you from the State of California and/or legal action. You are obligated to pay all costs of collection, including attorney fees, collection agency fees and court costs (Please see Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Sections 42380 and 42381).
  3. Note that a “B-” grade, though described as “adequate,” generates fewer than 3.0 grade (quality) points and must be balanced by a grade of “B+” or higher.
  4. These grades cannot be selected by students. They are only available in graduate courses offered exclusively on a “Credit/No Credit” basis.
  5. For definitions of administrative grades, see “What are the administrative grading symbols, and what do they signify? ” in the Grading and Academic Standards chapter.