Jun 23, 2024  
2015-2016 CSU East Bay Catalog 
2015-2016 CSU East Bay Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Financial Services

A variety of financial services are offered to students and staff, including cashier services, the sale of parking decals, and the processing of registration payments.  The student financial services offices also assist students with their financial aid and scholarship payment disbursement questions, and accept authorizations to bill third party sponsors for student registration fees.  The main office of Accounting and Fiscal Services is located in the Student Services and Administration building (SA), 2nd Floor.  The Cashier’s Office is located in the SA, 1st Floor and is open weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except Friday, the hours are 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  There is a secured drop box located in the front of the Cashiers’ office for those wishing to drop off payments after normal business hours.  The Cashiers’ office accepts checks, cash and money orders only.  Credit cards are NOT accepted at the Cashiers’ office; however, students may pay their registration fees online with SmartPay using their American Express, Discover, Visa, or MasterCard with a 2.9% convenience fee.  You may also choose to pay with an electronic check free of charge.  Consult the online Class Schedule for additional payment information.

What undergraduate fees do I pay when I register at Cal State East Bay?

Schedule of Undergraduate Registration Fees

The CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum.  Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate.  Therefore, CSU must reserve the right, even after fess are initially charged or initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees. All listed fees, other than mandatory systemwide fees, are subject to change without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester or quarter has begun.  All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by The Board of Trustees, the Chancellor, or the Presidents as appropriate. Changes in mandatory systemwide fess will be made in accordance with the requirements of Working Families Student Fee Transparency and Accountability Act (Sections 66028 - 66028.6 of the Education Code.)

The following “Undergraduate Registration Fees” schedule reflects applicable systemwide fees and applies only to students who do not hold a bachelor’s degree. If you already hold a bachelor’s degree, regardless of your current educational objective, you will pay the fees listed in the Fees: Graduate section of the Admission/Graduate chapter.

All Students:

Application Fee (nonrefundable), payable by check or money order at the time application is made: $55

Undergraduate Registration Fees, effective Fall 20141,2
  0.1 to 6.0 Units 6.1 or More Units
Tuition Fee* $1,058 $1,824
Student Body Fee 43 43
Facilities Fee 2 2
University Union Fee 55 55
University Union Recreational Fee 65 65
Instructionally Related Activities Fee 8 8
Health Services Fee 75 75
Athletics Fee 35 35
Academic Excellence Fee 80 80
Photo I.D. (quarterly fee) 1 1
Total $1,422 $2,188

*Note: The Tuition Fee for the academic year (three quarters) is $4,266 for 0.1 to 6.0 units a quarter and $6,564 for 6.1 or more units a quarter. The total fees paid per quarter will be determined by the number of units taken, including those in excess of fifteen. 

Mandatory systemwide fees are waived for individuals who qualify for such exemption under the provisions of the California Education Code. (See “Who qualifies for fee waivers?” in this chapter.)

How should I pay my fees?

Credit Cards, Cash, Check

You may use credit cards (American Express, Discover, Visa, and MasterCard), cash, or check for payment of registration fees. See the current Class Schedule for additional information.

Installment Payment Plans

Installment Payment Plans have been authorized if you are assessed Nonresident Tuition or Tuition Fees. See the current Class Schedule for additional information about payment plans.

Payment of Special Fees

The Cashier in the lobby of the Student Services and Administration building accepts in-person cash or check payments for all fees due to Cal State East Bay, such as registration, lab, breakage, test, and parking fees. (Most payments can also be mailed.)

For more information and important dates see the Paying Your Fees page. 

What is Nonresident Tuition?

Nonresident Tuition (in addition to other fees charged to all students) per unit or fraction thereof is $248.

Note: The total nonresident tuition paid per quarter will be determined by the number of units taken. Fees are subject to change without advance notice.

Mandatory systemwide fees are waived for those individuals who qualify for such exemption under the provisions of the California Education Code (see section on “Who qualifies for fee waivers”).

How is residency for tuition purposes determined?

University requirements for establishing residency for tuition purposes are independent from those of other types of residency, such as for tax purposes, or other state or institutional residency.  These regulations were established not to determine whether a student is a resident or nonresident of California, but rather to determine whether a student should pay tuition on an in-state or out-of-state basis. A resident for tuition purposes is someone who meets the requirements set forth in the Uniform Student Residency Requirements.  These laws governing residency for tuition purposes at the California State University (CSU) are California Education Code sections 68000-68090, 68120-68134, and 89705-89707.5, and California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Subchapter 5, Article 4, sections 41900-41916.  This material can be viewed on the Internet by accessing the CSU’s website at www.calstate.edu/GC/resources.shtml.  
The Office of Admission determines whether a student is a resident or nonresident for tuition purposes at the time of admission. This classification is based on information supplied by the student on the application for admission. A student who fails to submit adequate information to establish eligibility for resident classification will be classified as a nonresident.
Generally, establishing California residency for tuition purposes requires a combination of physical presence and intent to remain indefinitely. An adult who, at least 366 days prior to the residency determination date for the term in which enrollment is contemplated, can demonstrate physical presence in the state combined with evidence of intent to remain in California indefinitely, may establish California residency for tuition purposes. A minor normally derives residency from the parent(s) with whom he or she resides, or with whom he or she most recently resided.
Evidence demonstrating intent may vary from case to case, but will include, and is not limited to, the absence of residential ties to any other state, California voter registration and voting in California elections, maintaining California vehicle registration and driver’s license, maintaining active California bank accounts, filing California income tax returns and listing a California address on federal tax returns, owning residential property or occupying or renting an apartment where permanent belongings are kept, maintaining active memberships in California professional or social organizations, and maintaining a permanent military address and home of record in California.
Nonresident students seeking reclassification are required to complete the Resident Reclassification Request Form which includes questions concerning their financial independence. Financial independence is required, along with physical presence and intent, to be eligible for reclassification. Financial independence is established if in the calendar year the reclassification application is made and in any of the three calendar years preceding the reclassification application the student:

  • has not and will not be claimed as an exemption for state and federal tax purposes by his/her parent;
  • has not and will not receive more than seven hundred and fifty dollars ($750) per year in financial assistance from his/her parent; and
  • has not lived and will not live longer than six (6) weeks in the home of his/her parent.

A nonresident student who has been appointed as a graduate student teaching assistant, a graduate student research assistant, or a graduate student teaching associate on any CSU campus and is employed on a 0.49 or more time basis is exempt from the financial independence requirement. 

Non-citizens establish residency in the same manner as citizens, unless precluded by the Immigration and Nationality Act from establishing domicile in the United States.

Nonresident Tuition Exceptions

Exceptions to the general residency requirements are contained in California Education Code, Sections 68070-68084 and Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations, Subchapter 5, Article 4, Sections 41906-41906.5, and include, but are not limited to, members of the military and their dependents, certain credentialed employees of school districts and most students who have attended three or more years of high school in California and graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent of a graduation. Whether an exception applies to a particular student cannot be determined before the submission of an application for admission and, as necessary, additional supporting documentation. (See the “Reclassification” section below.) Because neither campus nor Chancellor’s Office staff may give advice on the application of these laws, applicants are strongly urged to carefully review the material and consult with a legal advisor.

Residency Determination Dates

The general rule is that a student must have been a California resident for at least one year immediately preceding the residency determination date in order to qualify as a “resident student” for tuition purposes. A residency determination date is set for each academic term and is the date from which residency is determined for that term.

The residency determination dates for quarter term campuses (Cal State East Bay) are:

  • Fall: September 20
  • Winter: January 5
  • Spring: April 1
  • Summer: July 1

The residency determination dates for the CalStateTEACH are as follows:

  • Fall: September 20
  • Spring: January 5
  • Summer: June 1

Questions regarding residency determination dates should be directed to Cal State East Bay’s Student Enrollment Information Center in the Student Services Building.

Campus Residency Classification Appeal

Students classified as non-residents may appeal a final campus decision within 120 days of notification by the campus. A campus residency classification appeal must be in writing and submitted to:
The California State University
Office of General Counsel
401 Golden Shore, 4th Floor
Long Beach, CA 90802-4210
The Office of General Counsel can either make a decision on the appeal or send the matter back to the campus for further review.
Students classified incorrectly as residents or incorrectly granted an exception from nonresident tuition are subject to reclassification as nonresidents and payment of nonresident tuition in arrears. If incorrect classification results from false or concealed facts, the student is also subject to discipline pursuant to Section 41301 of Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations.
Resident students who become nonresidents, or who no longer meet the criteria for an exception, must immediately notify the Admissions Office.
Changes may have been made in the rate of nonresident tuition and in the statutes and regulations governing residency for tuition purposes in California between the time this information is published and the relevant residency determination date. Students are urged to review the statutes and regulations stated above.

Am I responsible for other fees?

In addition to the fees required of all students, you may have to pay fees for the following items:

Miscellaneous Course Fees

You may have to pay a miscellaneous course fee for instructional materials and field trips for some courses. If courses have such fees, it is noted in their course descriptions in this catalog. Also refer to the Class Schedule for additional information and specific fee schedules for these courses

CSU reserves the right, even after initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees, without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular quarter has begun. All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by The Board of Trustees

Other Fees (payable when service is rendered)
Fee Amount
Late registration fee $25
Failure to meet administratively-required time limit $20
Graduation and diploma fee $52
Lost ID card fee $10
Returned check $25
Parking fee per quarter: Auto $130
Parking fee per quarter: Motorcycle $65
Official transcript of record (single) $4
Additional transcripts prepared at same time up to ten (2-10) $2(each)
Additional transcripts prepared at same time after first ten (11+) $1(each)
Unofficial transcript of record $2(each)
Items lost or broken COST
Test fees COST
Laboratory and/or activity fee COST
Certificate program fee $4
Entry Level Math (ELM) Exam $18
English Placement Test (EPT) $18
Writing Skills Test (WST) $25
Limited Administration of WST (guaranteed computer) $50
Miscellaneous Course fee $50-$500

(Notes: The graduation fee does not include the cost of cap and gown rental.)

What are the fees for Continuing Education courses?

Nonresident Tuition is not charged for Continuing Education or Open University courses. Fees for Cal State East Bay Continuing Education courses vary, depending on the type of course selected. Visit the Continuing Education website at http://www.ce.csueastbay.edu for the latest information on fees for specific courses, as well as detailed descriptions of programs and courses. 

Where can I get information on financial assistance?

The Office of Financial Aid, under the direction of  Executive Director Rhonda C. Johnson, coordinates financial assistance for students at Cal State East Bay. The following information is available from the Enrollment Information Center  in the first floor lobby of the Student Services and Administration building. Students may also call Financial Aid at (510) 885-2784.

  1. A description of the federal, state, institutional, local, and private student financial assistance programs available to students who enroll at Cal State East Bay
  2. For each aid program, a description of procedures and forms by which students apply for assistance, student eligibility requirements, criteria for selecting recipients from the group of eligible applicants, and criteria for determining the amount of a student’s award
  3. A description of the rights and responsibilities of students receiving financial assistance, including federal Title IV student assistance programs, and criteria for continued student eligibility under each program
  4. The satisfactory academic progress standards that students must maintain for the purpose of receiving financial assistance and criteria by which a student who has failed to maintain satisfactory progress may reestablish eligibility for financial assistance
  5. The method by which financial assistance disbursements will be made to students and the frequency of those disbursements
  6. The terms of any loan received as part of the student’s financial aid package, a sample loan repayment schedule, and the necessity for repaying loans
  7. The general conditions and terms applicable to any employment provided as part of the student’s financial aid package
  8. The terms and conditions of the loans students receive under the Direct Loan and Perkins Loan Programs; and
  9. The exit counseling information the school provides and collects for student borrowers.

Information concerning the cost of attending Cal State East Bay is available on the university website or by calling Financial Aid at (510) 885-2784, and includes tuition and fees; estimated costs of books and supplies; estimates of typical student room, board, and transportation costs; and, if requested, additional costs for specific programs.

What is the California State University’s average support cost per full-time equivalent student?

Average Support Cost per Full-time Equivalent Student and Sources of Funding

The total support cost per full-time equivalent student (FTES) includes the expenditures for current operations, including payments made to students in the form of financial aid, and all fully reimbursed programs contained in state appropriations. The average support cost is determined by dividing the total cost by the number of FTES. The total CSU 2014/15 budget amounts were $2,399,439,000 from state General Fund (GF) appropriations (not including GF debt service) and before adding $71.1 million CalPERS retirement adjustment, $1,592,256,000 from tuition fee revenue and after tuition fee discounts (forgone revenue), and $453,018,000 from other fee revenues for a total of $4,444,713,000. The 2014/15 resident FTES target is 346,050 and the nonresident FTES based on past-year actual is 15,568 for a total of 361,618 FTES. The GF appropriation is applicable to resident students only whereas fee revenues are collected from resident and nonresident students. FTES is determined by dividing the total academic student load (e.g. 15 units per semester) (the figure used here to define a full-time student’s
academic load).

The 2014/15 average support cost per FTES based on GF appropriation and net tuition fee revenue only is $11,324 and when including all sources as indicated below is $13,396, which includes all fee revenue (e.g. tuition fees, application fees, and other campus mandatory fees) and debt service in the CSU Operating Fund. Of this amount, the average net tuition and other fee revenue per FTES is $5,643.

Sources of Funds and Average Cost per FTE Student
2014-2015 Amount Average Cost per FTE Student Percentage
State Appropriation (GF)1 2,399,439,000 6,934 51.8%
General Fund Debt Service2 296,316,000 819 6.1%
Net Tuition Fee Revenue3 1,592,256,000 4,390 32.8%
Other Fees Revenue3 453,018,000 1,253 9.3%
Total Support Cost 4,741,029,000 13,396 100%
  1. Represents state GF appropriation in the Budget Act of 2014/15; GF is divisible by resident students only (346,050 FTES).
  2. A major change in the CSU budget appropriation beginning in 2014/15 is the fold in of state General Obligation bond debt service expense ($197.2M) into the CSU main appropriation and movement of CSU lease revenue bonds debt service from a separately identified appropriations item to the CSU main appropriation item ($99.1M).
  3. Represents CSU Operating Fund, Tuition Fee and other fees revenue amounts (net of tuition fee discounts) submitted in campus August 2014/15 final budgets. Revenues are divisible by resident and nonresident students ((361,618 FTES).

The average CSU 2014/15 academic year, resident, undergraduate student basic tuition fee and other mandatory fees required to apply to, enroll in, or attend the university is $6,759 ($5,472 tuition fee plus $1,287 average campus-based fees). However, the costs paid by individual students will vary depending on campus, program, and whether a student is part-time, full-time, resident, or nonresident.

Who qualifies for fee waivers?

The California Education Code includes provisions for the waiver of mandatory systemwide fees as follows:

Dependents of Deceased or Disabled Military Veterans; Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients or Dependents of Recipients

Section 66025.3. Qualifying children, spouses/registered domestic partners, or unmarried surviving spouses/registered domestic partners of a war period veteran of the U.S. military who is totally service-connected disabled or who died as a result of service-related causes; children of any veteran of the U.S. military who has a service-connected disability, was killed in action, or died of a service-connected disability and meets specified income provisions; any dependents or surviving spouse/registered domestic partner who has not remarried of a member of the California National Guard who in the line of duty and in active service of the state was killed or became permanently disabled or died of a disability as a result of an event while in active service of the state; and undergraduate students who are the recipient of or the child of a recipient of a Congressional Medal of Honor and meet certain age and income restrictions. For further information, contact Enrollment Management to speak with a Veterans’ Affairs Benefits Specialist.

Alan Pattee Scholarships

Section 68120.Qualifying children and surviving spouses/registered domestic partners of deceased public law enforcement or fire suppression employees who were California residents and who were killed in the course of active law enforcement or fire suppression duties (referred to as Alan Pattee Scholarships); and 

Dependents of Individual Killed in September 11, 2001 Terrorist Attack

Section 68121. Qualifying students enrolled in an undergraduate program who are the surviving dependent of any individual killed in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City, the Pentagon building in Washington, D.C., or the crash of United Airlines Flight 93 in southwestern Pennsylvania, if the student meets the financial need requirements set forth in Section 69432.7 for the Cal Grant A Program and either the surviving dependent or the individual killed in the attacks was a resident of California on September 11, 2001. Students who may qualify for these benefits should contact the Admissions/Registrar’s Office for further information and/or an eligibility determination.

Section 38130.5.  Qualifying non-resident students exempt from paying nonresident tuition, such as, nonresident student with: high school attendance in California for three or more years; graduation from a California high school or attainment of equivalent; registration as an entering student at, or current enrollment at, an accredited institution of higher education in California not earlier than the fall semester or quarter of the 2001-02 academic year; in the case of a person without lawful immigration status, the filing of an affidavit with the institution of higher education stating that the student has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.

For Additional Information

Students who may qualify for any of these benefits listed above should contact Enrollment Management for further information on the specific requirements and/or an eligibility determination.

What are Cal State East Bay’s refund policies?

Refund of Mandatory Fees, Including Nonresident Tuition

Regulations governing the refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, for students enrolling at the California State University are included in Section 41802 of Title 5, California Code of Regulations. For purposes of the refund policy, mandatory fees are defined as those systemwide and campus fees that are required to be paid in order to enroll in state-supported academic programs at the California State University. Refunds of fees and tuition charges for self-support, special session, and extended education programs or courses at the California State University are governed by a separate policy established by the University.

In order to receive a full refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, a student must cancel registration or drop all courses prior to the first day of instruction for the term. Information on procedures and deadlines for canceling registration and dropping classes is available Class Schedule.

For state-supported semesters, quarters, and non-standard terms or courses of four (4) weeks or more, a student who withdraws during the term in accordance with the university’s established procedures will receive a refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, based on the portion of the term during which the student was enrolled. No student withdrawing after the 60 percent point in the term will be entitled to a refund of any mandatory fees or nonresident tuition.

For state-supported non-standard terms or courses of less than four (4) weeks, no refunds of mandatory fees and nonresident tuition will be made unless a student cancels registration or drops all classes prior to the first day in accordance with the university’s established procedures and deadlines.
Students will also receive a refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, under the following circumstances:

  • The fees were assessed or collected in error;
  • The course for which the fees were assessed or collected was canceled by the university
  • The university makes a delayed decision that the student was not eligible to enroll in the term for which mandatory fees were assessed and collected and the delayed decision was not due to incomplete or inaccurate information provided by the student;
  • The student was activated for compulsory military service.

Students who are not entitled to a refund as described above may petition the university for a refund demonstrating exceptional circumstances and the chief financial officer of the university or designee may authorize a refund if he or she determines that the fees and tuition were not earned by the university.

Information concerning any aspect of the refund of fees may be obtained from the Cashiers Office, 1st Floor, Student Services and Administration Building, (510) 885-3865.

Refund Regulations

Refund disbursements are not made automatically. If you request a refund check (see below) and it is approved, it will be available in approximately four to six weeks.

If you are eligible for a refund of Registration fees (including nonresident tuition) because you withdrew or reduced units before the published deadlines, the amount of the refund will automatically be credited to your university account. If you take no action, the university will leave the balance on your account to apply toward future charges.

A few refund situations are listed below for your information.

  1. If you find it necessary to withdraw officially from Cal State East Bay, you may be eligible for a partial refund of your Registration fees. Also, see 3) below. A “Refund Request” form is available at the Cashier’s on the first floor of Student Service Building or in the Concord Campus Academic Services Lobby. 
  2. If you withdraw before the first day of instruction for the term, all quarterly fees, including the Facilities fee, Instructionally Related Activities fee, Associated Students fee, Health Services fee and University Union fee are refunded in full. A $10.00 processing fee will be assessed if a refund check is generated. Information on procedures and deadlines for canceling registration and dropping classes is available in the Class Schedule. The Late Registration fee is not refundable except when due to university error.
  3. If you have been called to active military duty and, as a result, find it necessary to withdraw from Cal State East Bay, you are eligible for a refund of fees. You must file a “Refund Request” form available at the Cashier’s on the first floor of Student Service Building with a copy of the orders. 
  4. Refunds owed to financial aid recipients will be used to repay the funds from which the student has received financial aid.

Information concerning the refund policy of Cal State East Bay for the return of unearned tuition and fees or other refundable portions of costs is available from the Accounting and Fiscal Services Office, (510) 885-3767.

What is Cal State East Bay’s policy regarding fees or debts owed to the institution?

Should a student or former student fail to pay a fee or a debt owed to Cal State East Bay, the institution may “withhold permission to register, to use facilities for which a fee is authorized to be charged, to receive services, materials, food or merchandise or any combination of the above from any person owing a debt” until the debt is paid (see Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Sections 42380 and 42381).

Prospective students who register for courses offered by the university are obligated for the payment of fees associated with registration for those courses. Failure to cancel registration in any course for an academic term prior to the first day of the academic term gives rise to an obligation to pay student fees, including any tuition, for the reservation of space in the course.

The institution may withhold permission to register or to receive official transcripts of grades or other services offered by the institution from anyone owing fees or another debt to the institution. The institution may also report the debt to a credit bureau, offset the amount due against any future state tax refunds due the student, refer the debt to an outside collection agency and/or charge the student actual and reasonable collection costs, including reasonable attorney fees if litigation is necessary, in collecting any amount not paid when due.

If a person believes he or she does not owe all or part of an asserted unpaid obligation, that person may contact the campus business office. The business office, or another office on campus to which the business office may refer the person, will review all pertinent information provided by the person and available to the campus and will advise the person of its conclusions.

What is the procedure for the establishment or abolishment of a student body fee?

The law governing The California State University provides that fees defined as mandatory, such as a student body association fee and a student body center fee, may be established. Astudent body association fee must be established upon a favorable vote of two-thirds of the students voting in an election held for this purpose (Education Code, Section 89300). The campus President may adjust the student body association fee only after the fee adjustment has been approved by a majority of students voting in a referendum established for that purpose. The required fee shall be subject to referendum at any time upon the presentation of a petition to the campus President containing the signatures of 10 percent of the regularly enrolled students at the University. Student body association fees support a variety of cultural and recreational programs, childcare centers, and special student support programs. A student body center fee may be established only after a fee referendum is held which approves by a two thirds favorable vote the establishment of the fee (Education Code, Section 89304). Once bonds are issued, authority to set and adjust student body center fees is governed by provisions of the State University Revenue Bond Act of 1947, including, but not limited to, Education Code sections 90012,90027, and 90068.

The process to establish and adjust other campus-based mandatory fees requires consideration by the campus fee advisory committee and a student referendum. The campus president may use alternative consultation mechanisms if he/she determines that a referendum is not the best mechanism to achieve appropriate and meaningful consultation. Results of the referendum and the fee committee review are advisory to the campus president. The president may adjust campus-based mandatory fees, but must request the Chancellor establish a new mandatory fee. The President shall provide to the fee advisory committee a report of all campus-based mandatory fees. The campus shall report annually to the Chancellor a complete inventory of all campus-based mandatory fees.

For more information or questions, please contact the Budget Office in the CSU Chancellor’s Office at (562) 951-4560.


  1. Fee adjustments subject to the policies established in Executive Order 661.
  2. Disclaimer - Cost of Collection: Unpaid Tuition and Fees. You are subject to normal collection actions for unpaid debts including: assessment of late registration and past due fees, withholding of University services, withholding of credit for and disenrollment from some or all classes, referral of the debt to a collection agency and/or credit reporting agency, intercept of amounts due you from the State of California and/or legal action. You are obligated to pay all costs of collection, including attorney fees, collection agency fees and court costs (Please see Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Sections 42380 and 42381).