Apr 17, 2024  
2018-2019 Cal State East Bay Catalog 
2018-2019 Cal State East Bay Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Glossary of Terms & Definitions


[glos-uh-ree, glaw-suh-] 

noun, plural glossaries.

1. a list of terms in a special subject, field, or area of usage, with accompanying definitions.

Academic Dishonesty

Academic Dishonesty includes, but is not limited to:

- cheating, which includes possessing unauthorized sources of information during examinations, copying the work of others, permitting others to copy a student’s own work, submitting work done by others, completing assignments for others, altering work after grading and subsequently submitting it for re-grading, submitting the same work for two or more classes without the permission of all instructors involved, or retaining materials that students have been instructed to return to their instructor;

- plagiarism, which includes taking the words, ideas, or substance of another and either copying or paraphrasing the work without giving credit to the source through appropriate use of footnotes, quotation marks, or reference citations;

- providing materials to another with knowledge they will be improperly used;

- possessing another’s work without permission;

- selling, purchasing, or trading materials for class assignments (includes purchasing term papers via the internet);

- altering the work of another;

- knowingly furnishing false or incomplete academic information;

- altering documents that make up part of the student record;

- forging signatures or falsifying information on any official academic document;

- inventing data or falsifying an account of the method through which data was generated.

Academic Grading Symbols (Undergraduate)

Undergraduate Course Symbols & Grade Points Earned
Academic Symbol Definitions Grade (Quality) Points Earned
A Excellent 4.0
A- Excellent 3.7
B+ Good 3.3
B Good 3.0
B- Good 2.7
C+ Satisfactory 2.3
C Satisfactory 2.0
C- Satisfactory 1.7
D+ Poor 1.3
D Poor 1.0
F Failing 0.0
CR Credit not applicable
NC No Credit not applicable
“A-F” Grading Pattern

Courses required for majors in a major department are taken in this pattern. Specific department exemptions are noted in the course description. Faculty use of “+” or “-” is optional.

Credit/No Credit and A/B/C/No Credit Grading Patterns (CR/NC and A/B/C/NC)

Students may enroll in up to 40 semester units in credit/no credit patterns as an undergraduate. There are two credit/no credit patterns:

  1. “CR/NC,”
  2. “A/B/C/NC.”

Some courses are only offered in the “CR/NC” or “A/B/C/NC” patterns. Undergraduate students can select the “CR/NC” pattern for most other courses subject to certain restrictions. Students can choose the “CR/NC” pattern during registration until the end of the Grade Type Change period.

Note: No changes to, or from, the credit/no credit pattern are permitted after the Grade Type Change period. There are no exceptions to this rule. Courses in a student’s major department, regardless of course prefix, may not be taken “CR/NC,” unless that is the only grading pattern in the course.

Units that students earn in courses taken under these grading patterns will apply to their degree requirements as long as they are not pre-baccalaureate courses (courses numbered 000 - 099).

  • “CR” signifies that a student mastered the material at the level of “C-” or higher.
  • “NC” signifies a work level of “D+” or lower. 

Academic Grading Symbols (Graduate)

Graduate Course Symbols & Grade Points Earned
Academic Grade Standard of Work Represented Grade (Quality) Points
A Superior 4.0
A- Superior 3.7
B+ Adequate 3.3
B Adequate 3.0
B- Adequate1 2.7
C+ Substandard 2.3
C Substandard 2.0
C- Unacceptable 1.7
D+ Unacceptable 1.3
D Unacceptable 1.0
F Failing 0.0
CR Credit2 not applicable
NC No Credit2 not applicable


1Note: A “B-” grade, though described as “adequate,” generates fewer than 3.0 grade (quality) points and must be balanced by a grade of “B+” or higher to maintain a 3.0 GPA.

2Note: These grades cannot be selected by students.  They are only available in graduate courses offered exclusively on a “credit/no credit” basis.

The typical grading pattern for courses graduate students will take is “A-F”; the use of “+” and “-” is at the discretion of each instructor.  As noted in the Master’s Degree Requirements section, grades lower than “C” may not be used to satisfy master’s degree requirements, and some programs may requires grades higher than “C” to meet program requirements; check with the academic department about its policy.  A graduate student may use courses taken on a “CR/NC” basis to meet the degree requirements only if the courses are offered exclusively on that basis.  Typically, these courses are restricted to fieldwork and internships and a “CR” grade indicates that the student’s work is at least of “B-” quality.  In post-baccalaureate (500-level) courses, a “CR” grade also indicates that the work is at least of “B-” quality.

Academic (Latin) Honors

Graduation with Honors

Candidates for the baccalaureate degree may be eligible for the awarding of Latin Honors at the time of graduation if they have fulfilled the following conditions:

  1. They must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.65 or higher in all coursework and in coursework completed at Cal State East Bay.
  2. They must have completed at least 40 semester-units of coursework in residence (as defined in the University Catalog) at Cal State East Bay.

summa cum laude (cumulative GPA, overall and at CSUEB, of 3.85-4.00) highest honor

magna cum laude (cumulative GPA, overall and at CSUEB, of 3.75-3.84) high honor

cum laude (cumulative GPA, overall and at CSUEB, of 3.65-3.74) honor

The GPA is officially calculated at the time the student has completed graduation requirements. The honors designation will be noted on the student’s diploma and official transcript. The conditions noted above apply equally to second-baccalaureate degree candidates.

Note: Post-baccalaureate and graduate students are not eligible for Latin Honors.

University Honors Program

The University Honors Program is different from “graduation with honors”. Graduation with honors is determined strictly on a GPA basis, and no additional coursework is required. The University Honors Program provides outstanding students the opportunity for academic challenge through the completion of specialized courses, seminars and projects under the direction of faculty mentors.  To see their website, click on the link for more information.


Authority for decisions regarding the transfer of undergraduate credits is delegated to each California State University (CSU) campus. Most commonly, college level credits earned from an institution of higher education accredited by a regional accrediting agency are accepted for transfer to campuses of the CSU; however, authority for decisions regarding the transfer of undergraduate credits is delegated to each CSU campus.

CSU campuses may enter into course-to-course or program-to-program articulation agreements with other CSU campuses and any or all of the California Community Colleges, and other regionally accredited institutions. Established CSU and California Community College articulations may be found on www.assist.org. Students may be permitted to transfer no more than 70 semester (105 quarter) units to a CSU campus from an institution that does not offer bachelor’s degrees or their equivalents, for example, community colleges. Given the university’s 30-semester (45-quarter) unit residency requirement, no more than a total of 90-semester (135-quarter) units may be transferred into the University from all sources.

Administrative Grading Symbols

Administrative Grading Symbols & Their Definitions
Administrative Grading Symbol Definition Grade (Quality) Points Earned
RP Report in Progress not applicable
I Incomplete (Authorized) not applicable
IC Incomplete Charged 0.0
RD Report Delayed not applicable
W Withdrawal not applicable
WU Withdrawal Unauthorized 0.0
AU Audit not applicable
Report in Progress (RP)

The symbol “RP,” Report in Progress, is used in connection with courses that extend beyond an academic term. This symbol indicates that work is in progress, but that a final grade cannot be assigned until additional work is completed. The work must be completed within one year. 

Note: If the work is not completed within the established time limit the “RP” grade will be changed to an “F” or “NC,” depending on the grading pattern for the course.

Incomplete (I)

The symbol “I”, Incomplete (Authorized), indicates that:

  1. a discrete portion of the required coursework has not been completed and evaluated in the prescribed time period due to unforeseen, but fully justified, reasons,
  2. attending a future offering of the class is not required to complete the work, and
  3. the instructor believes it likely that the student will earn credit for the course upon completion of that work.

Students who are currently failing a course are not eligible for an Incomplete.  

It is the student’s responsibility to bring pertinent information to the attention of the instructor and to determine from the instructor the remaining course requirements that must be satisfied to remove the Incomplete. A final grade is assigned when the work agreed upon has been completed and evaluated. The instructor will specify the work needed to complete the course that can be viewed in MyCSUEB.

Note: An “I” must normally be made up within one calendar year immediately following the end of the term during which it was assigned. This limitation prevails whether or not the student maintains continuous enrollment. Students may not repeat a course in which they currently have an incomplete grade. Students who are currently failing a course are not eligible for an Incomplete.

Students may be able to receive up to a one-semester extension from the instructor. These extensions are for cause and must be approved by both the instructor and department chair. (Examples of cause include military service, serious health or personal problems, or instructor’s leave of absence.) If a student wants credit for a course after an “I” has been converted to an “IC,” the student must re-register and pass the course.

When the required work has been completed and evaluated, the instructor will submit a change of grade form and the academic grade will be recorded. If the student does not complete the work within the allowed time limit, the grade will be recorded as an “IC” (Incomplete Charged).

A student can graduate with an “I” grade on their record if the course is not necessary for graduation requirements. No grade may be changed once the degree has been awarded.

Incomplete Charged (IC)

The symbol “IC,” Incomplete Charged, is used if the student received an authorized incomplete (“I”), but did not complete the required coursework within the allowed time limit, and the original grading pattern of the course was “A-F.”  If the grading pattern was either “A/B/C/NC” or “CR/NC”, the grade will be recorded as “NC.”

Note: The “IC” replaces the “I” and is counted as a failing grade for computing grade point average.

Report Delayed (RD)

The Report Delayed grade is an administrative grade assigned to students for a course if the instructor notifies the Office of the Registrar that grade reports have been delayed by circumstances beyond the control of the instructor. An example is the illness of the instructor at the end of the semester. The instructor will replace the “RD” grade with an academic grade as soon as possible.

Note: If the instructor fails to replace it with an academic grade by the end of the following semester, the grade “RD” will be converted to a “WU” or an “NC” depending on the grading pattern.

Withdrawal (W)

Dropping a course may be permitted, without restriction or penalty, during the Add/Drop Period.  No grading symbol is recorded in such instances.

The “W” administrative grade indicates that the student was permitted to withdraw from a course after the end of the Add/Drop Period and prior to the last twenty percent of instruction, and may be assigned only for serious and compelling reasons. Permission to withdraw during this time shall be granted only with the approval of both the instructor and the department chair. The requests and approvals shall state the reasons for withdrawal. 

Undergraduate students may withdraw after the Add/Drop Period from no more than 18 semester units in the undergraduate career. Only withdrawals recorded in terms beginning with Fall 2009 are counted. When serious illness or accidents are documented and used as the basis for approval of withdrawal from classes in the term, the units in question will not count against the maximum units allowed.  Open University units are counted toward the maximum units. No limitations are placed on withdrawals by post-baccalaureate students taking classes in a post-baccalaureate career.

Withdrawals are not permitted during the final twenty percent of instruction except in cases, such as accident or serious illness, where the cause of withdrawal is due to circumstances clearly beyond the student’s control and the assignment of an Incomplete is not practicable. Withdrawals of this nature may involve total withdrawal from the campus or may involve only one course, except that a course grade and credit or an Incomplete grade may be assigned for courses in which sufficient work has been completed to permit an evaluation to be made. When serious illness or accidents are documented and used as the basis for approval of withdrawal from classes in the term, the units in question will not count against the maximum units allowed. Request for permission to withdraw under these circumstances shall be granted only with the approval of the instructor, the department chair, the college dean and the administrator appointed by the President to act in such matters.

The “W” grade shall not be used in the calculation of grade point averages.

Withdrawal Unauthorized (WU)

The “WU” grade (Withdrawal Unauthorized) shall be used where a student who is enrolled on the census date does not officially withdraw from a course, but fails to complete it.  Its most common use is in those instances where a student has not completed sufficient course assignments or participated in sufficient course activity to make it possible, in the opinion of the instructor, to report satisfactory or unsatisfactory completion of the class by use of the letter grade (A-F).  The “WU” is counted in the grade point average as an “F” grade. When assigning the “WU” grade, the instructor shall report the last known date of attendance by the student.

Audit (AU)

Students may take courses for instruction only (Audit), and will attend class but will not receive credit. Audit students will pay the same fees and enjoy the same instructional privileges as students enrolled for credit. Audit students may participate in class, take examinations or complete other assignments, but are not required to do so.

Note: Students may not petition to change their enrollment status from, or to, “Audit” after the Grade Type Change period has ended.

Advancement to Candidacy

“Advancement to Candidacy” is a status which recognizes completion of substantial progress towards a student’s graduate degree. A student becomes eligible for Advancement to Candidacy when they:

  • have become a “Classified” graduate student in good standing;
  • have completed at least 9 semester units of 600-level coursework with a minimum 3.0 GPA;
  • have designed a formal program of study approved by their graduate advisor;
  • have fulfilled the University Writing Skills Requirement;
  • have completed other department prerequisites for advancement; and
  • are recommended for Advancement to Candidacy by their academic advisor (subject to approval by the department’s graduate coordinator).

Also see, Admission, Enrollment, & Fees  chapter for additional information.

Auditing Courses

An auditor (an enrolled student or non-enrolled individual) pays the same fees and enjoys the same instructional privileges as a student enrolled for credit, but is not held responsible for examinations or term papers. Regular class attendance is expected, and enrollment as an auditor may be deleted if the expected attendance is not observed. If students wish to enroll in a course as an auditor, they must obtain permission from the instructor of the course. Enrollment as an auditor is permitted only after students otherwise eligible to enroll on a credit basis have had an opportunity to do so. Once enrolled in a course as an auditor, students may not change their enrollment to a credit basis unless such a change is requested no later than the last day to add classes. Students, who are enrolled in a course for credit, may not change to an audit basis after the Add/Drop period has ended.

Baccalaureate Degree: defined

A baccalaureate degree, often called a bachelor’s degree, is the academic title that the university confers after successful completion of a minimum number of college credit units (120 semester units at Cal State East Bay), including certain specified patterns of coursework (for example, General Education and a major), a minimum number of advanced units (40 upper division) with a grade point average of at least 2.00 (on a 4.00 point scale), and various other requirements specified in Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations. Some students in higher unit majors will complete more than the minimum 120 semester units for their degree. Cal State East Bay offers three baccalaureate degrees, a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree, a Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.), and a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree. The degree awarded appears on the student’s diploma and permanent record.

First-time freshmen can typically complete their coursework in four years if they earn 15 units per semester towards their degree.  Transfer students can typically complete their coursework in two years if they earn 15 units per semester toward their degree.

Information concerning the graduation rates of students enrolling at Cal State East Bay is available online at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/ira/

See also Requirements, Exams & Testing  chapter for baccalaureate degree requirements.

Capstone Experience

The capstone experience of the graduate program will be the successful completion of a thesis, project, or comprehensive examination. The quality of the student’s work, including quality of expression, is the major consideration in judging the success of this degree component.


A thesis is the written product of a systematic study of a significant issue. In the thesis, the student is expected to identify the issue, state the major assumptions, explain the significance of the project, detail sources for and methods of obtaining data, provide analysis of the data, and offer conclusions. The thesis should demonstrate original critical and independent thinking, appropriate organization and format, and thorough documentation. If the research involves human subjects, the protocols must be approved by the Institutional Review Board (see “Standards of Research with Human Subjects” section in Graduate Degree Requirements, Policies, & Other Information  chapter).

Cal State East Bay offers two kinds of master’s degree theses, University Thesis (numbered 691) and Departmental Thesis (numbered 699). Students required, or electing, to write a thesis must register for a minimum of one unit of either 691 or 699 in order to receive credit toward completion of this capstone experience. Students should check with the department for information on the number of units for which they must enroll.

The following criteria are the same for both the Departmental Thesis and the University Thesis.

  • The candidate must be a graduate student (i.e., admitted to a master’s degree program) to enroll in a thesis course; the academic department may add additional requirements.
  • The student’s thesis work will be supervised by a departmental committee which must include at least one Cal State East Bay faculty member who is a member of the major department. Please see the Thesis Committee Policy for additional thesis committee requirements.
  • The student may not receive credit for more units of thesis work than allowed by the degree program.
  • Each semester students will receive a grade of “RP” (Report in Progress) for units earned in 691 or 699 until they have completed their thesis; the student will then be given a final grade for the entire course. No “RP” units will be counted towards the degree or in calculating their GPA. If the thesis is not approved within one year of initial enrollment in a thesis course, the “RP” grade(s) will be changed to “F” or “NC” (depending on the grading pattern of the course).
  • Normally, a degree candidate will be required to present an oral defense of their thesis.
  • A Master’s degree candidate may not earn more than 6 units for either a University Thesis or Departmental Thesis. Some programs have lower unit requirements. Students should check the program description in this catalog.

There are also a few significant differences between the two kinds of theses:

The format of a University Thesis is established by the Office of Graduate Studies. Since these works are expected to serve as resources for future research, the format is formal. An electronic copy is placed in the Institutional Repository. A Departmental Thesis, on the other hand, is usually not as formal. The Departmental Thesis standards and format are determined by the department, and the thesis is retained by the department.  

University Thesis: 

For information on the steps to follow (the approval process, required format for the structural elements of the thesis, and deadlines) when writing a University Thesis, consult the University Thesis Writing Guide available online at: www.csueastbay.edu/thesiswritingguide. If a student has questions concerning the selection of a topic, and/or the procedure to establish a thesis committee and research protocols, they should contact their department advisor or graduate coordinator. Students should also see if the department requires that a bound copy be submitted to the department. If the student has additional questions concerning the formatting and submission of their University Thesis after having read the University Thesis Writing Guide, it is recommended they contact the University Thesis Editor at: thesis.editor@csueastbay.edu

Departmental Thesis: 

For information about a Departmental Thesis (the department’s thesis guidelines, including format, acceptable thesis topics, and procedures to establish a thesis committee) contact the department advisor or graduate coordinator.


A project is a significant undertaking in either a fine or applied art or a professional field. Projects should provide evidence of originality, independent thinking, and appropriate form and organization. Students are required to describe their project in a written abstract that addresses the project’s significance, objectives, methodology, and conclusions. In some cases, the student may be required to present an oral defense.

Specific criteria for a Project (numbered 693) are the same as those for a Departmental Thesis with a few exceptions.

  • An “RP” grade in a project course will become an “F” (no “NC” option) after one year if the project is not completed.
  • While the project need not be considered a research resource, it should be of a caliber to constitute a valid terminal activity in a master’s degree program and will be permitted only when a thesis is not appropriate.

If a Master’s degree student changes from a program requiring a thesis to one requiring a project (or vice versa), they may count a combined maximum of 6 units for 691, 693, and 699 towards the degree.

Comprehensive Examination

A comprehensive examination is intended to assess the student’s mastery of relevant subject matter, their ability to analyze and integrate the knowledge of their field, their skill in critical and independent thinking, and their use of appropriate organization and accurate documentation. A record of the student’s examination (questions and responses) will be retained by their department. Some departments grant unit credit for exam preparation while others do not.

Catalog Rights for Graduation

As long as a student maintains continuous enrollment as defined in the next paragraph, the degree requirements will remain those of the catalog in effect at the time they declare their major, minor, or degree. However, students may elect to meet the requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of graduation. These principles are called “catalog rights.” 

Matriculated students who have not enrolled in classes at Cal State East Bay for two consecutive semesters (not including summer or winter sessions), and do not enroll in the third consecutive semester lose their continuous enrollment status and their graduation requirements will be governed by the catalog in effect at the time they reenter. If a student is absent due to an approved Planned Educational Leave  or to attend another accredited institution of higher education, they will not lose their catalog rights as long as they are not away from Cal State East Bay for over two years.

Transfer students who attended another CSU campus and/or California Community College have Cal State East Bay catalog rights from the time they began at the other institution if they have continuous enrollment as noted above.

Note: The principle of catalog rights refers to degree requirements, not policies, fees, services, and other matters which, when they change, apply to all students. For that reason, students should check the latest online catalog.

Also Note: Requirements of certain programs (e.g., teacher credential programs) are governed by outside agencies. The requirements of these programs are subject to change based on changes dictated by these outside agencies. 

Due to semester conversion, during the 2018-19 academic year only, students with rights to earlier catalogs may request rights to this Catalog for either their major or their graduation requirements or both.  Forms are available on the Registrar’s website.

Undergraduate Students

Students’ catalog rights for their major, minor or degree are governed by the catalog in effect at the time the student declares their major, minor, or degree. Undergraduates will not lose catalog rights for graduation requirements (including general education) by declaring or changing their major if they maintain continuous enrollment. 

Post-graduate & Graduate Students

Catalog rights for graduate students are governed by the catalog in effect at the time the student was admitted to their program.  As noted earlier, they may select the graduation catalog when they file to graduate. Students should note, however, that there is a requirement that courses in master’s programs expire after five years;  see the Master’s Degree Requirements  section of the Graduate Degree Requirements, Policies, & Other Information chapter.

Undergraduate Certificate Programs

Undergraduate Certificate Program

A certificate program is a coherent set of academic courses, considerably narrower in scope and objectives than a degree or major, for which students can receive a certificate upon its successful completion. Most certificate programs are oriented toward occupations and/or career skills. A certificate program must contain at least 12 units of courses numbered 300 or above and a minimum of 15 total units. Each certificate program must contain a required core of at least three courses and 9 units. With faculty advice, special certificate programs may be available.  

Students must receive a grade of “C” or better in each course applied to the program. Only one course may be taken “CR/NC” in a certificate program not counting courses for which that is the only grading pattern for the course. At least 75% of the units must be taken at Cal State East Bay. (For certificate programs, Cal State East Bay courses may be taken through University Extension or as a regularly admitted and enrolled student.) Students who have already received a major, option, or minor with the same title are not eligible for the certificate. No student is required to complete a certificate program. Completion of a certificate program is recognized by the awarding of a certificate. There is no notation about the program on either a diploma or permanent record. (The courses will be on the student’s transcript.) Students may pursue a certificate program before, during, or after their baccalaureate degree. Unlike a minor, a certificate is not part of a degree.

University Extension also offers professional and career development Certificate Programs which may be taken for academic credit or Continuing Education Units (CEUs).  For information about the certificate programs offered by University Extension please visit https://www.ce.csueastbay.edu/.

Graduate Certificate Programs 

For information concerning graduate certificate programs see the Degree Requirements, Policies, & Other Information  chapter.


A “concentration” is a prescribed pathway through a major which allows for emphasis on a particular segment of the discipline (for example, the Accounting Concentration in the Business Administration Major and the Dance Concentration in the Theatre Arts Major). Not all majors have formal concentrations. Some majors with formal concentrations require students to select a concentration (e.g., Business Administration) whereas others do not (e.g., Chemistry). In some majors, different concentrations have different total unit requirements. 

If a student declares a concentration when or prior to filing for graduation and meets the requirements, the concentration will appear on the student’s diploma. For those students who wish to complete more than one concentration and have the additional concentration(s) recorded, each must differ by at least three courses and nine units from any other completed concentration. 

Note: Students using past-year and archived CSUEB catalogs for their catalog of record, will still see the term “option” being used in those catalogs. The definition for “option” and “concentration”, for catalog purposes, are the same.

Cooperative Education

Co-Op Education

The Cooperative Education Course (CEC) is an academic course for which students can receive academic credit for working (paid or unpaid) in a job or internship. Students should speak with their major department advisor about enrolling in such courses.  For additional information go to: http://www.csueastbay.edu/academic/academic-support/aace/career-education/co-op.html

Fast Facts about Cooperative Education

  • Over 3 out of 4 of all U.S. undergraduate students will complete an internship or co-op prior to graduation.
  • Over 80% of companies offer experiential learning opportunities as a way to identify talent and eventually recruit full-time employees.
  • Employers report that they hire 50% of their intern and co-op students as full-time employees following graduation.

See also, the Orientation & Advising  chapter for more information about cooperative education.


A co-requisite course is a course that must be taken concurrently in the same semester, or has been previously completed.

Course Numbering System

The course numbering system indicates the level at which courses are offered.  Use the “Course Descriptions ” for individual course detail.

Course Number Level of Instruction
000-099 Courses not for baccalaureate degree credit
100-299 Lower-division courses
300-499 Upper-division courses
500-599 Post-baccalaureate and professional level courses
600-699 Graduate level courses
700-799 Doctoral level courses


Credit Equivalency

A semester course that is replacing a quarter course(s) within a department, where both can be considered equivalent for major requirement, articulation, and academic renewal purposes.  If a course is equivalent, students who took the quarter version of the course, and passed, cannot then register for and receive credit for the semester version of the course.

Credit Hour/Unit Value

As of July 1, 2011 federal law (Title 34, Code of Federal Regulations, sections 600.2 and 600.4) requires all accredited institutions to comply with the federal definition of the credit hour. All college courses at Cal State East Bay have unit values based on the Federal credit hour policy.

For all CSU degree programs and courses bearing academic credit, the “credit hour” is defined as “the amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than:

  1. One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of- class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or
  2. At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution, including laboratory work, internships, practice, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.”

A credit hour is assumed to be a 50-minute period. In courses in which “seat time” does not apply, a credit hour may be measured by an equivalent amount of work, as demonstrated by student achievement.

Cross-listed Courses

Cross-listed courses are two identical courses (number, title, units, classification and description are the same), but each have differing course prefixes. Cross-listed courses can belong to differing departments or the same department.  An example could be: ABC 123 is cross listed with XYZ 123 - they are the same course except for their prefixes. Cross-listed course-pairs are identified in their corresponding course descriptions.

See also Prefixes in this chapter.

Doctoral Degree: defined

Cal State East Bay offers one (Ed.D) doctoral program.  A graduate student who wishes to receive a 60-unit doctoral degree in Education should check the Educational Leadership, Ed.D. **  program in this catalog, as well as consult the Doctoral Handbook (available from the Department of Educational Leadership office) for academic load information.

Drop vs. Withdrawal


The word “drop” refers to official deletion of a course from a student’s record. If students cannot continue enrollment in a course for which they enrolled in for that particular semester, they must officially drop the course using MyCSUEB. Students cannot “drop” after the end of the Add/Drop period, but they can “withdraw” until the twelfth week of a full semester (shorter terms have different deadlines). 


The word “withdrawal” refers to official termination of enrollment in a class after the Add/Drop period. Students can withdraw from a class only for serious health or personal problems beyond their control.

Dual-listed Courses

Dual-listed courses are those that are identical in content with undergraduate and graduate students taught in the same classroom, with the same instructor, and at the same time.  However, the course requirements will be different for the undergraduate and graduate students.  The undergraduate course should have an upper division course number (i.e., 300-499); the graduate course will have a 600-level course number.

East Bay “Foundation”

California State University, East Bay Foundation, Inc. is a non-profit auxiliary organization within the California State University system. For over 50 years, the California State University, East Bay Foundation (“CSUEB Foundation”) has been making a difference in the educational experience at California State University, East Bay and the overall campus environment. Its only goal is to support the University’s educational mission and to provide quality services that complement Cal State East Bay’s instructional programs. In the course of carrying out this mission, the Foundation enhances the University for thousands of faculty, staff, and students.

Having undergone a major reorganization at the end of 2012, the Foundation’s main responsibilities include partnering with Follett to manage the Pioneer Bookstore and supporting the Office of Sponsored Research and Programs in its administration of grants received from federal, state and local governments and private foundations.

The CSUEB Foundation is governed by a board of directors comprised of faculty, students,staff, administrators and community members. The Foundation is incorporated as a nonprofit public benefit corporation and is exempt from federal income tax under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Free Electives

Most students have some units not prescribed by general education, the major, or other graduation requirements. These range from no units in a few very large majors to a handful of courses in some relatively low unit majors.

Free electives are courses students are free to select to complete their minimum unit requirements for the degree. Some students complete free electives with whatever looks interesting when they have free hours in their schedules, but most students have a purpose in mind. This could be taking more courses in the major to prepare for graduate school or employment, taking a minor or certificate program (defined in this section) to complement the major (e.g., an English major taking a Marketing minor), or simply following a special interest (e.g., dance or photography). No student is required to do any of these things, but it is important that students understand available choices.

Grade Forgiveness

Grade Forgiveness is the process that matriculated students seeking a bachelor’s degree follow, under limited circumstances, to remove the punitive effect of past academic failures.

See also the Grade Forgiveness Policy in the Grading & Academic Standards  chapter for additional information. 

Grade Point Average (GPA)

The student’s grade point average (GPA) is calculated by dividing the total number of quality hours (units attempted, excluding CR/NC courses) into the number of grade (quality) points earned. 

A 2.00 (C) average in all college/university courses, all Cal State East Bay courses, and all major courses are required for a baccalaureate degree (excluding “CR,” “NC,” “W,” and “AU” grades). All courses taken as part of the major, including those in other departments are included in the calculation of the major GPA.

See also Academic Grading Symbols for information about grade points.

Graduate Student: defined

A student is considered a Graduate Student at Cal State East Bay if they have been admitted as:

A Post-Baccalaureate Student

A student who has been admitted after receiving a baccalaureate degree.  Basic teacher credential programs constitute a separate area of post-baccalaureate work, and students in these programs are defined as “Classified Post-Baccalaureate” students.

A Master’s Student

A student that has been admitted to a specific master’s degree program as a “Conditionally Classified” or “Classified” student, or to an advanced credential program which can be earned in conjunction with a master’s degree. Most master’s degrees are designed to be completed in two years if students are attending full time. A graduate student who wishes to receive a 30-unit master’s degree in two years needs to enroll in approximately 8 units for four semesters. (Eight units per semester is generally the minimum for full-time status.)

The master’s degree is awarded for completion of a planned and integrated program of advanced study. It recognizes that a student has mastered a particular field sufficiently to pursue creative or applied projects in that field.

Students who have completed a graduate degree will have acquired a mastery of a particular area of knowledge; an ability to relate that knowledge to knowledge in other disciplines; an ability to deal systematically with the concepts, theory, and principles in new situations; an ability to formulate and deal with problems on an advanced level; methodological, technical, and communication skills essential for advanced study; an ability to undertake independent investigation and research; abilities characteristic of professional performance; and attitudes conducive to continuous intellectual and professional development.

Every master’s degree program includes what is termed a capstone experience. This will include a thesis or its equivalent, a comprehensive examination or an applied or specialized project that documents an internship, or a case study report, a musical recital, gallery showing, or other comparable achievement. Completion of the capstone experience demonstrates that students have successfully integrated the various elements of the graduate learning experience and have gained an in-depth knowledge of their discipline.

A Doctoral Student

A student who wishes to receive a 60 semester-unit doctoral degree in Education.  These students should check the Educational Leadership for Social Justice, Ed.D. program chapter in this catalog, as well as consult the Doctoral Handbook (available from the Educational Leadership Department office) for academic load information and specific degree requirements.

Independent Study Course

An Independent Study course is a program of study, which is above and beyond the regular offerings of a department. The number of such a course is 490 and 690. Such a course is considered as elective credit in the program of a student working for a specified objective.

Note: Students may apply no more than 9 units of independent study in the major department and 8 units in other departments to a baccalaureate degree.

The privilege of Independent Study is limited to undergraduate students who have at least a 2.0 (C) grade point average and graduate students with at least a 3.0 (B) grade point average in all courses in the field or department in which the Independent Study is to be taken, both at this institution and in any work attempted at other institutions. If students are on academic probation, they are ineligible for Independent Study. Independent Study is restricted to students who are able to work with minimal supervision. No faculty member is required to teach an Independent Study course, and arrangements must be made to determine how the faculty’s teaching overload (if any) will be made up.

Students may obtain applications for Independent Study (Special Registration Petition) in departmental offices. The application, with signatures of approval, is to be returned to the department office during the enrollment period for that term.

A course offered by Independent (or Individual) Study shall be taught only by a professor in the department offering the credit or by a professor the department judges to be competent to teach the particular course.

Individual Study Course

An Individual Study course is a course that is listed in the Cal State East Bay Catalog, but is not being offered during the term in which a student must gain course credit to complete a specified objective. Permission to take such a course may be granted only in cases of necessity, and arrangements must be made to determine how the faculty’s teaching overload (if any) will be made up. Students may obtain applications for Individual Study (Special Registration Petition) in departmental offices. They then return the application, with signatures of approval, to the departmental office during the enrollment period for that semester.

Leave of Absence

Planned Educational Leave

A planned educational leave is a documented leave of absence permitted to a student by the University under specific circumstances. Students may petition for a planned educational leave to pursue education related activities which will enhance the prospect of successful completion of their academic programs, but do not require enrollment at Cal State East Bay or any other institution of higher education.

Students who are unable to enroll due to compulsory military service, or because of a documented disability, or because of pregnancy may apply for a leave of absence. Students should be in good academic standing in a program leading to a degree.

Leave Approval

A planned educational leave may be for a period of up to a total of two years (four consecutive semesters) if the student is enrolled in a program leading to a degree. The leave must be approved by the faculty advisor or department chair, and also approved by the Office of the Registrar.

If approved, the student will retain graduation University Catalog rights and may enroll as a continuing student, provided the student returns and enrolls in the same major for the semester indicated. Applications must be received in advance of, and approved before, an official leave can begin. Students who return from leave earlier than planned must notify the Office of the Registrar in writing.

Student’s Responsibility

Failure to return from a planned educational leave during the semester indicated means loss of University Catalog rights.  These students will be required to apply for readmission and pay an application fee. Download the Planned Educational Leave Form from the Office of the Registrar website and follow the instructions found on the form.

Major: defined

A major is a specified pattern of courses in a particular discipline or group of disciplines. (A list of Cal State East Bay undergraduate majors appears is in the bachelor’s degree section of Programs of Study by Degree Type .) The major allows students to specialize in one area and to study it in more depth than the one or two courses taken for General Education in other disciplines. Students can design an Interdisciplinary Studies Major with faculty advice and administrative support (see the Interdisciplinary Studies, B.A.  and/or Interdisciplinary Studies, B.S.   chapter of this catalog).

A major is not the same as a career, though some majors are more closely aligned to specific careers than others. There are people in most careers from a wide variety of majors. Most programs of study list career options that are possible for that degree. 

A Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree major often requires more units in the major than a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree major. A Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) degree major requires more units than most B.S. or B.A. degree majors because it is so specialized.

Students may declare their major either on their application when they apply to Cal State East Bay or after they enroll by filling out a “Change of Major” form available in the Student Enrollment and Information Center, 1st Floor, Student Services and Administration Building, online at the Student Records Forms website, or in the Student Services Center at the Concord Campus. Students must declare a major by the semester in which they earn junior status (60 units). High unit students may require permission from the Dean of Academic Programs and Services to change their majors.

Students may complete more than one major at the same time with permission. All majors earned will appear on the same diploma. At this time, Cal State East Bay does not admit post-graduate students for second majors. 

Master’s Degree: defined

The master’s degree is awarded for completion of a planned and integrated program of advanced study earned after completion of an undergraduate degree. It recognizes that a student has mastered a particular field sufficiently to pursue creative or applied projects in that field.  The minimum number of units for a Cal State East Bay master’s program is 30 semester units with a grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale), and various other requirements specified in Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations as well as requirements in this University Catalog.  It typically requires at least two years of full-time study (or longer if pursued part time) beyond the bachelor’s degree.  Master’s degrees are awarded in various disciplines as M.A. (master of arts), M.S. (master of science) or as discipline-specific degrees such as business (M.B.A), public administration (M.P.A.), or social work (M.S.W).

A master’s degree provides students with a mastery of a particular area of knowledge; an ability to relate that knowledge to knowledge in other disciplines; an ability to deal systematically with the concepts, theory, and principles in new situations; an ability to formulate and deal with problems on an advanced level; methodological, technical, and communication skills essential for advanced study; an ability to undertake independent investigation and research; abilities characteristic of professional performance; and attitudes conducive to continuous intellectual and professional development.

Every master’s degree program includes what is termed a capstone experience. This may include a thesis or its equivalent, a comprehensive examination, or project.  Completion of the capstone experience demonstrates that students have successfully integrated the various elements of the graduate learning experience and have gained an in-depth knowledge of their discipline.

Matriculated Student

A matriculated student is a regularly enrolled student after being admitted to the university.

Methods of Instruction

There are three types of methods of instruction:


A hybrid class is taught with the aspects of both on-ground and online environments; access to a computer can be required.


An on-ground class is taught entirely face-to-face, exclusively within the classroom; technically a student in such a class would not be required to have computer access.


An online class is taught exclusively in an online environment; access to a computer would be required for all students.  No on-campus meetings are required.

Minor: defined

A minor is a coherent program in some field or group of related fields other than a student’s major. Minors range in size from 15-30 semester units, at least 9 of which must be upper division. No student is required to have a minor, so it will not appear on the student’s record or diploma unless they request it. The minimum grade point average for a minor is 2.00, so students must take at least one course on the A-F grading pattern. At least 9 units must be taken at Cal State East Bay for a minor to be recognized on the student’s diploma and/or permanent record.

Courses in a minor may be double-counted in G.E. However, at least 9 semester units of a minor must not be double-counted in the discipline of the major for Cal State East Bay to recognize the minor.

Students who wish to complete a minor must submit a “Change of Major, Minor, Option” form available online at the Student Records Forms website.

Students cannot receive a minor in the same department as their major unless the disciplines are distinct (e.g., French and Spanish, Art History and Studio Art). A minor is recognized only when a baccalaureate degree is awarded.

Multiple Majors

Students can pursue two or more majors simultaneously with permission, making sure they differ from each other by a minimum of 12 units.

The disadvantage of completing multiple majors while working on the same degree is that the student would have to delay graduation until they complete all requirements of all the majors. However, students are checked for completion of the General Education (G.E.) requirements only once.

In the case of multiple degrees, it is possible for students to pursue additional degrees simultaneously or consecutively. If a student completes a second baccalaureate simultaneously with their first baccalaureate, they will not need to take additional residency or G.E. units beyond those required for the degree they indicate as their primary baccalaureate.

Students cannot get two degrees in the same field. For example, a B.A. with a major in Geology and a B.S. with a major in Geology, or a B.S. with a major in Business Administration (concentration in Accounting) and a B.S. with a major in Business Administration (concentration in Marketing) are not allowed.

Note: Although students cannot receive two B.S. degrees in Business Administration, students can receive a single B.S. degree in Business Administration with two concentrations.

Any concentration and minors completed within the student’s degree will also be recorded on their diploma and permanent record if requested.


A Class Schedule, prepared each semester, lists general information, courses offered, hours, rooms, instructor names, and final examination times. The online Class Schedule is available before enrollment begins in MyCSUEB each semester. Important information such as the semester calendar, orientation, important dates, registration, fees, course selection, and student services contact information may be viewed at: www.csueastbay.edu/students/.

Non-catalog Courses

Each semester, Cal State East Bay offers a variety of new courses whose descriptions are not yet in the catalog. Such courses carry full credit as regular courses in the curriculum. Generally, these courses will be numbered 497 or 697; new general education courses will be numbered 196 or 396. Students, therefore, should check with their advisors to confirm which degree requirements these new courses satisfy and not hesitate to take them.

Descriptions of new, non-catalog courses appear in the Class Schedule each semester. A new course may be passed by examination or challenged only after it has been listed in the Class Schedule and has been or is being taught.

Open University

See University Extension in this chapter.


For more information about what course overlays are, see the General Education Program  chapter.


A student who has already formally graduated with a bachelor’s degree is considered post-baccalaureate; therefore, a “post-bacc” student is also considered a graduate student for purposes of admission.  If a post-bacc student wishes to achieve a graduate-level certificate, credential *, master’s or doctoral degree, s/he would apply to the University as a graduate student.

* Note: There is a program offered at Cal State East Bay, called Bachelors Plus, that allows for an undergraduate to obtain a baccalaureate degree, as well as complete courses that prepares the student for a multiple subject credential.  For more information concerning the Bachelors Plus Early Pathway program, contact both the Liberal Studies Program  coordinator and the Department of Teacher Education .

Prefixes (Course, Dept, College)

Prefixes are abbreviations for colleges, departments, and courses of study. Click on this PDF link for course, department, and college prefix definitions: PDF - 2018-2019 Prefix Definitions  


A prerequisite is another course or group of courses containing necessary background material for full understanding of the course content or a non-course requisite. Some courses have prerequisites. If a course has a required prerequisite (as noted in the course description) it must be successfully completed before enrolling in the course.

Note: While every effort has been made to include prerequisite courses within programs, prerequisite units may not be included in the total program units and therefore should be considered when planning a program roadmap.  Consult with an academic/faculty advisor or department for further information concerning prerequisites and program roadmaps.

Special Registration Petitions

Some courses may require a “Special Registration Petition” prior to enrollment that is available from the department offering the course.  Typically, courses that will require special registration petitions are: 

  • Independent Study,
  • Individual Study,
  • Capstone Project,
  • Departmental Thesis, or
  • University Thesis.

Title IX

Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects all people regardless of their gender, gender identity, gender expression or sexual orientation from gender discrimination, which includes sexual harassment and violence:

Sex Discrimination means an adverse action taken against a student by the CSU, a CSU employee, or another student because of gender or sex (including sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, domestic violence, dating violence and stalking) that is perpetrated against an individual on a basis prohibited by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, 20 U.S.C. §1681 et seq., and its implementing regulations, 34C.F.R. Part 106 (Title IX); California Education Code §66250 et seq., and/or California Government Code §11135.

Sexual Harassment, a form of sex discrimination, is unwelcome verbal, nonverbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature that includes, but is not limited to, sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and any other conduct of a sexual nature where:  

  1. Submission to, or rejection of, the conduct is explicitly or implicitly used as the basis for any decision affecting a complainant’s status or progress, or access to benefits and services, honors, programs, or activities available at or through the university; or
  2. The conduct is sufficiently severe, persistent or pervasive that its effect, whether or not intended, could be considered by a reasonable person in the shoes of the complainant, and is in fact considered by the complainant, as limiting his or her ability to participate in or benefit from the services, activities or opportunities offered by the university; or
  3. The conduct is sufficiently severe, persistent or pervasive that its effect, whether or not intended, could be considered by a reasonable person in the shoes of the complainant, and is in fact considered by the complainant, as creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive environment.

Sexual harassment could include being forced to engage in unwanted sexual contact as a condition of membership in a student organization; being subjected to video exploitation or a campaign of sexually explicit graffiti; or frequently being exposed to unwanted images of a sexual nature in a classroom that are unrelated to the coursework.

Sexual harassment also includes acts of verbal, non-verbal or physical aggression, intimidation or hostility based on gender or sex-stereotyping, even if those acts do not involve conduct of a sexual nature.

Executive Order 1097 covers unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature. While romantic, sexual, intimate, personal or social relationships between members of the university community may begin as consensual, they may evolve into situations that lead to sexual harassment or sexual misconduct, including dating or domestic violence, or stalking, subject to this policy.

Claiming that the conduct was not motivated by sexual desire is not a defense to a complaint of harassment based on gender. 

Sexual Misconduct

All sexual activity between members of the university community must be based on affirmative consent. Engaging in any sexual activity without first obtaining affirmative consent to the specific activity is sexual misconduct, whether or not the conduct violates any civil or criminal law. Sexual activity includes, but is not limited to, kissing, touching intimate body parts, fondling, intercourse, penetration of any body part, and oral sex. It also includes any unwelcome physical acts, such as unwelcome sexual touching, sexual assault, sexual battery, rape, and dating violence. When based on gender, domestic violence or stalking also constitute sexual misconduct. Sexual misconduct may include using physical force, violence, threat or intimidation, ignoring the objections of the other person, causing the other person’s intoxication or incapacitation through the use of drugs or alcohol, or taking advantage of the other person’s incapacitation (including voluntary intoxication) to engage in sexual activity.  Men as well as women can be victims of these forms of sexual misconduct. Sexual activity with a minor is never consensual when the complainant is under 18 years old, because the minor is considered incapable of giving legal consent due to age.

Sexual Assault is a form of sexual misconduct and is an attempt, coupled with the ability, to commit a violent injury on the person of another because of that person’s gender or sex.

Sexual Battery is a form of sexual misconduct and is any willful and unlawful use of force or violence upon the person of another because of that person’s gender or sex as well as touching an intimate part of another person against that person’s will and for the purpose of sexual arousal, gratification or abuse.

Rape is a form of sexual misconduct and is non-consensual sexual intercourse that may also involve the use of threat of force, violence, or immediate and unlawful bodily injury or threats of future retaliation and duress. Any sexual penetration, however slight, is sufficient to constitute rape. Sexual acts including intercourse are considered non-consensual when a person is incapable of giving consent because s/he is incapacitated from alcohol and/or drugs, is under 18 years old, or if a mental disorder or developmental or physical disability renders the person incapable of giving consent. The respondent’s relationship to the person (such as family member, spouse, friend, acquaintance or stranger) is irrelevant.

Acquaintance Rape is a form of sexual misconduct committed by an individual known to the victim. This includes a person the victim may have just met; i.e., at a party, introduced through a friend, or on a social networking website.

Affirmative Consent means an informed, affirmative, conscious, voluntary, and mutual agreement to engage in sexual activity.  It is the responsibility of each person involved in the sexual activity to ensure that s/he has the affirmative consent of the other participant(s) to engage in the sexual activity.  Lack of protest or resistance does not mean consent nor does silence mean consent.  Affirmative consent must be voluntary, and given without coercion, force, threats or intimidation.

  • The existence of a dating or social relationship between those involved, or the fact of past sexual activities between them, should never by itself be assumed to be an indicator of affirmative consent. A request for someone to use a condom or birth control does not, in and of itself, constitute affirmative consent.
  • Affirmative consent can be withdrawn or revoked. Consent to one form of sexual activity (or sexual act) does not constitute consent to other forms of sexual activity. Consent given to sexual activity on one occasion does not constitute consent on another occasion. There must always be mutual and affirmative consent to engage in sexual activity. Consent must be ongoing throughout a sexual activity and can be revoked at any time, including after penetration. Once consent is withdrawn or revoked, the sexual activity must stop immediately.
  • A person who is incapacitated cannot give affirmative consent. A person is unable to consent when s/he is asleep, unconscious or is incapacitated due to the influence of drugs, alcohol, or medication so that s/he could not understand the fact, nature or extent of the sexual activity. A person is incapacitated if s/he lacks the physical and/or mental ability to make informed, rational decisions.
  • Whether an intoxicated person (as a result of using alcohol or other drugs) is incapacitated depends on the extent to which the alcohol or other drugs impact the person’s decision-making capacity, awareness of consequences, and ability to make fully informed judgments. A person’s own intoxication or incapacitation from drugs or alcohol does not diminish that person’s responsibility to obtain affirmative consent before engaging in sexual activity.
  • A person with a medical or mental disability may also lack the capacity to give consent.
  • Sexual activity with a minor (a person under 18 years old) is not consensual, because a minor is considered incapable of giving legal consent due to age.
  • It shall not be a valid excuse that a person affirmatively consented to the sexual activity if the respondent knew or reasonably should have known that the person was unable to consent to the sexual activity under any of the following circumstances:
  • The person was asleep or unconscious;
  • The person was incapacitated due to the influence of drugs, alcohol or medication, so that the person could not understand the fact, nature or extent of the sexual activity;
  • The person was unable to communicate due to a mental or physical condition
  • It shall not be a valid excuse that the respondent believed that the person consented to the sexual activity under either of the following circumstances:
  • The respondent’s belief in affirmative consent arose from the intoxication or recklessness of the respondent;
  • The respondent did not take reasonable steps, in the circumstances known to the respondent at the time, to ascertain whether the person affirmatively consented.

Consensual Relationships

Consensual relationship means a sexual or romantic relationship between two persons who voluntarily enter into such a relationship. While sexual and/or romantic relationships between members of the university community may begin as consensual, they may evolve into situations that lead to discrimination, harassment, retaliation, sexual misconduct, dating or domestic violence or stalking.

  1. A university employee shall not enter into a consensual relationship with a student or employee over whom s/he exercises direct or otherwise significant academic, administrative, supervisory, evaluative, counseling, or extracurricular authority. In the event such a relationship already exists, each campus shall develop a procedure to reassign such authority to avoid violations of this policy.
  • This prohibition does not limit the right of an employee to make a recommendation on the personnel matters concerning a family or household member where the right to make recommendations on such personnel matters is explicitly provided for in the applicable collective bargaining agreement or MPP/confidential personnel plan.

Domestic Violence is abuse committed against someone who is a current or former spouse, current or former cohabitant, someone with whom the respondent has a child, someone with whom the respondent has or had a dating or engagement relationship, or a person similarly situated under California domestic or family violence law. Cohabitant means two unrelated persons living together for a substantial period of time, resulting in some permanency of relationship. It does not include roommates who do not have a romantic, intimate, or sexual relationship. Factors that may determine whether persons are cohabiting include, but are not limited to (1) sexual relations between the parties while sharing the same living quarters, (2) sharing of income or expenses, (3) joint use or ownership of property, (4) whether the parties hold themselves out as spouses, (5) the continuity of the relationship, and (6) the length of the relationship. For purposes of this definition, “abuse” means intentionally or recklessly causing or attempting to cause bodily injury or placing another person in reasonable apprehension of imminent serious bodily injury to himself or herself, or another. Abuse does not include non-physical, emotional distress or injury.

Dating Violence is abuse committed by a person who is or has been in a social or dating relationship of a romantic or intimate nature with the victim. This may include someone the victim just met; i.e., at a party, introduced through a friend, or on a social networking website. For purposes of this definition, “abuse” means intentionally or recklessly causing or attempting to cause bodily injury or placing another person in reasonable apprehension of imminent serious bodily injury to himself or herself, or another. Abuse does not include non-physical, emotional distress or injury. 

Stalking means engaging in a repeated course of conduct directed at a specific person that would cause a reasonable person to fear for his/her or others’ safety or to suffer substantial emotional distress.  For purposes of this definition:

  1. Course of conduct means two or more acts, including but not limited to, acts in which the stalker directly, indirectly, or through third parties, by any action, method, device, or means, follows, monitors, observes, surveils, threatens, or communicates to or about a person, or interferes with a person’s property;
  2. Reasonable person means a reasonable person under similar circumstances and with the same protected status(es) as the complainant;
  3. Substantial emotional distress means significant mental suffering or anguish that may, but does not necessarily, require medical or other professional treatment or counseling.

Note: See further information in Cal State East Bay’s sexual violence prevention and education statement, Title IX Notice of Nondiscrimination at http://www.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/risk-management/investigations/files/docs/notice-of-non-discrimination.pdf which includes facts and myths about sexual violence at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/risk-management/files/docs/eo-1095-attachment-b-myths-and-facts-2015.pdf., and Victim’s Rights and Options Notice at http://www.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/risk-management/risk/files/docs/eo-attachment%20c.pdf

Undergraduate Status: Class Standing

Undergraduate students are assigned a class standing according to the following plan:

  Semester Units Earned Toward the Degree
Lower Division:  
Freshmen Fewer than 30 units
Sophomores 30 but fewer than 60 units
Upper Division:  
Juniors 60 but fewer than 90 units
Seniors 90 or more units
Graduating Seniors 100 or more earned units, filed for graduation, and paid the graduation filing fee

Undergraduate Status: Full or Part-time

The following classifications apply to students enrolled in the fall and spring semesters (not University Extension non­-degree programs and shorter sessions including summer):

  1. Full­-time undergraduate students (including students seeking a second baccalaureate) are those enrolled in 12 or more units in a regular semester. Part­-time undergraduate students are those enrolled in fewer than 12 units.
    • Note: that in order to graduate in 4 years or 8 semesters, students must complete an average of 15 units per semester.
  2. Full­-time enrollment for veterans (or dependents of disabled or deceased veterans), or reservists under Chapter 30, 31, 33, 34, 35, or 106 is 12 or more units, according to V.A. regulations. Each semester, veterans and eligible dependents should consult the Veteran Affairs Coordinator before the first day of classes and submit their forms requesting certification of enrollment for V.A. benefits.  More information can be found on the Veteran Student Admission page.

University Extension

General Information

Information on courses, programs, and enrollment procedures is available through Continuing Education’s course schedule each semester on the University website at www.ce.csueastbay.edu, by phone (510-885-3605), and by e-mail ce@csueastbay.edu.

Continuing Education

University Extension Offices are located in the Student & Faculty Services BuildingContinuing Education (CE) at Cal State East Bay features a broad spectrum of degree and certificate programs, as well as individual courses that complement the University’s regular curriculum, and meet the academic, professional, creative, and lifelong learning goals of its diverse community.

CE designs programs and courses to fulfill the needs of current job market trends, enhance professional development, and promote personal enrichment. Offering more than 40 degree and certificate programs in a variety of industries and fields, CE allows students to explore career options and pursue opportunities for advancement.

Students may take one or more individual courses, enroll in a degree or certificate program, or attend a seminar or conference. In some cases, academic credit is awarded; while in others, Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are available. In programs designed specifically for personal enrichment, no academic credit is awarded.

American Language Program

The University’s American Language Program provides instruction for international students in academic English and introduces them to American culture. Each year, students from more than 25 countries enroll in the program. After graduating from the American Language Program, international students often enroll as matriculated students in the University.

Open University Concurrent Enrollment

The “Open University” program allows individuals to enroll in regular University classes without being formally admitted to the University. Regularly enrolled students are not eligible to take Open University courses.  A student enrolled in Open University may:

  • Examine a field of study before committing to a degree program
  • Update job skills or obtain professional training
  • Attend classes on a non-continuous basis
  • Raise their grade point average prior to application
  • Enroll in classes if they’ve missed the Cal State East Bay application deadline

Open University students will be granted “Open University” extension credit for coursework. There are limits on the number of Open University extension units that may be applied toward University degrees. Up to 24 units may be applied towards a baccalaureate degree and up to 9 units for a master’s degree.

Most courses taught by regular Cal State East Bay faculty are available to students through Open University. To enroll in an Open University course, applicants must complete an online Open University application form each term they wish to attend.  The application deadline is the eighth instructional day of the term. Go to https://www.ce.csueastbay.edu/ce/programs/open-university/ to apply online and view application deadlines. Late applications will not be accepted.


Continuing Education registration, in most courses or programs, does not require formal admission to the University. For some programs, however, students may be required to meet certain requirements prior to being eligible to register. Only registration in self-support Special Session classes provides “continuing student” status to admitted, matriculated students.