Jun 24, 2021  
2018-2019 Cal State East Bay Catalog 
2018-2019 Cal State East Bay Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Fees & Financial Services


Financial Aid

Other Services

Financial & Cashier Services

A variety of financial services are offered to students and staff, including cashier services, the sale of parking decals, and the processing of registration payments.  The student financial services offices also assist students with their financial aid and scholarship payment disbursement questions, and accept authorizations to bill third party sponsors for student registration fees.  The main office of Accounting and Fiscal Services is located in the Student Services and Administration building (SA), 2nd Floor.  The Cashier’s Office is located in the SA, 1st Floor and is open weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except Friday, the hours are 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  There is a secured drop box located in the front of the Cashier’s Office for those wishing to drop off payments after normal business hours.  The Cashier’s Office accepts checks, cash and money orders only.  

Note: Credit cards are NOT accepted at the Cashier’s Office; however, students may pay their registration fees online with SmartPay using their American Express, Discover, Visa, or MasterCard with a 2.75% convenience fee.  Students may also choose to pay with an electronic check free of charge.  Consult MyCSUEB for additional payment information.

Undergraduate Schedule of Tuition and Fees 2018-2019

The CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. Tuition and fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, CSU reserves the right, even after tuition or fees are initially charged or initial payments are made, to increase or modify any listed tuition or fees. All listed fees, other than mandatory systemwide tuition, are subject to change without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester or quarter has begun. All CSU-listed tuition and fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by the Board of Trustees, the chancellor or the presidents, as appropriate. Changes in mandatory systemwide tuition will be made in accordance with the requirements of the Working Families Student Fee Transparency and Accountability Act (Sections 66028 - 66028.6 of the Education Code).

The following reflects applicable systemwide tuition and fees for both semester and quarter campuses that were authorized by the Board of Trustees at the March 2017 meeting. These rates are subject to change.

Note: Students who already hold a bachelor’s degree, regardless of their current educational objective, will pay the fees listed in the Graduate Admission & Fees chapter.

All Students:

Application fee (nonrefundable), payable online at the time of application via credit card, e-check or PayPal: $55

Students are charged campus fees in addition to tuition and systemwide fees.  Information on campus fees are also listed below or contact Financial Services for more information.

Undergraduate Tuition & Fees, effective 2018-2019 1, 2
  0 to 6.0 Units Per Semester 6.1 or More Units Per Semester
Tuition Fee* $1,665 $2,871
Student Body Fee 64.50 64.50
Facilities Fee 3.00 3.00
University Union Fee 82.50 82.50
University Union Recreational Fee 97.50 97.50
Instructionally Related Activities Fee 12.00 12.00
Health Services Fee 187.50 187.50
Athletics Fee 52.50 52.50
Academic Excellence Fee 120.00 120.00
Photo I.D. (semester fee) 1.50 1.50
Total $2,286 $3,492

1Fee adjustments subject to the policies established in Executive Order 661.

2Disclaimer - Cost of Collection: Unpaid Tuition and Fees. Students are subject to normal collection actions for unpaid debts including: assessment of late registration and past due fees, withholding of University services, withholding of credit for and disenrollment from some or all classes, referral of the debt to a collection agency and/or credit reporting agency, intercept of amounts due them from the State of California and/or legal action. They are obligated to pay all costs of collection, including attorney fees, collection agency fees and court costs (Please see Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Sections 42380 and 42381).

* Note: Undergraduate Tuition for the academic year (two semesters) is $4,422 for 0 to 6.0 units per semester and $6,834 for 6.1 or more units per semester. The total fees paid per semester will be determined by the number of units taken, including those in excess of fifteen.

Nonresident Students (U.S. and Foreign)

Nonresident Tuition of $396 is paid on a per unit basis (in addition to basic tuition and systemwide fees charged all students) for all campuses.  The total nonresident tuition paid per term will be determined by the number of units taken.

Note: Mandatory systemwide tuition is waived for those individuals who qualify for such exemption under the provisions of the California Education Code (see section on fee waivers).

Credit Cards:

Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and International Bank Transfers may be used for payment of student tuition and fees but may be subject to a non-refundable credit card processing fee.

Additional Fees Payable Upon Service

Additional Fees Payable when Service is Rendered:

Fee Amount USD
Late registration fee $38
Failure to meet administratively-required time limit $20
Graduation and diploma fee * $55
Lost ID card fee $10
Returned check $25
Parking fee per semester: Auto $195
Parking fee per semester: Motorcycle $98
Official transcript of record (single) $4
Additional transcripts prepared at same time up to ten (2-10) $2 (each)
Additional transcripts prepared at same time after the first ten (11+) $1 (each)
Unofficial transcript of record $2 (each)
Items lost or broken COST
Test fees COST
Laboratory and/or activity fee COST
Certificate program fee $4
Writing Skills Test (WST-Paper Version) $25
Writing Skills Test - Limited Administration (WST-Computer Version) $50
Miscellaneous Course fee $50-500
* Note: The graduation fee does NOT include the cost of cap and gown rental.


Miscellaneous Course Fees

Students may have to pay a miscellaneous course fee for instructional materials and field trips for some courses. If courses have such fees, it is noted in their course descriptions in this catalog. Also refer to the MyCSUEB for additional information and specific fee schedules for these courses.

Note: CSU reserves the right, even after initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees, without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester has begun. All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by The Board of Trustees.

University Extension (Continuing Education) Fees

Nonresident Tuition is not charged for Continuing Education or Open University courses. Fees for Cal State East Bay Continuing Education courses vary, depending on the type of course selected. Visit the Continuing Education website at http://www.ce.csueastbay.edu for the latest information on fees for specific courses, as well as detailed descriptions of programs and courses. 

Average Support Cost Per Full-time Equivalent Student & Sources of Funds

The total support cost per full-time equivalent student (FTES) includes the expenditures for current operations, including payments made to students in the form of financial aid, and all fully reimbursed programs contained in state appropriations. The average support cost is determined by dividing the total cost by the number of FTES. The total CSU 2017/18 budget amounts were $3,390,564,000 from state General Fund (GF) appropriations and before adding $39.3 million CalPERS retirement adjustment, $2,477,015,000 from gross tuition revenue and $594,397,000 from other fee revenues for a total of $6,461,976,000. The 2017/18 resident FTES target is 364,131 and the nonresident FTES based on past-year actual is 24,398 for a total of 388,529 FTES. The GF appropriation is applicable to resident students only whereas fee revenues are collected from resident and nonresident students. FTES is determined by dividing the total academic student load (e.g. 15 units per semester) (the figure used here to define a full-time student’s academic load).

2017/18 Amount Average Cost per FTES Percentage
State Appropriation (GF) 1 3,390,564,000 9,311 54.1%
Gross Tuition Revenue 2 2,477,015,000


Other Fees Revenue 2 594,397,000 1,530 8.9%
Total Support Cost 6,461,976,000 17,217 100.0%
1Represents state GF appropriation in the Budget Act of 2017/18; GF is divisible by resident students only (364,131 FTES).
2Represents CSU Operating Fund, gross tuition and other fees revenue amounts submitted in campus August 2017/18 final budgets. Revenues are divisible by resident and nonresident students (388,529 FTES).

The 2017/18 average support cost per FTES based on GF appropriation and tuition revenue only is $15,687 and when including all three sources as indicated below is $17,217, which includes all fee revenue (e.g. tuition, application fees, and other campus mandatory fees) in the CSU Operating Fund. Of this amount, the average tuition and other fee revenue per FTES is $7,905.

The average CSU 2017/18 academic year, resident, undergraduate student basic tuition and other m­­andatory fees required to apply to, enroll in, or attend the university is $7,216 ($5,742 tuition fee plus $1,474 average campus-based fees). However, the costs paid by individual students will vary depending on campus, program, and whether a student is part-time, full-time, resident or nonresident. 

Financial Aid Services

The Financial Aid Services department coordinates all University-administered financial aid programs. Students may obtain financial aid information and assistance in the Student Enrollment Information Center (1st floor of Student Services and Administration Building).

Financial Aid Applications

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available on the web at: www.fafsa.ed.gov. Students are strongly encouraged to complete the FAFSA each year by the March 2 priority filing date. The FAFSA helps determine their eligibility for grants, Work-Study, and loans. Eligibility for limited funds is determined by financial need and FAFSA priority filing. California residents may also apply for a Cal Grant by completing the FAFSA and asking their school to submit their grade point average (GPA) to the California Student Aid Commission by March 2 for high school/college students, and September 2 for California Community College transfer students. AB540 students may apply for California State Aid, including Cal Grants, by completing the Dream Application. Information on the Dream Act and a link to the Dream Application may be found at: Dream Act and Application.

Note: The federal Military Selective Service Act requires most males between the ages of 18 and 25, who reside in the United States, to register with the Selective Service System. Those who are subject to the Act and fail to register are ineligible to receive all student aid funded by the federal student aid, state sources, or a public post-secondary institution. See “Military Selective Service Act” in the Military & Veterans Information & Services  chapter for additional information.

Academic Progress

Financial aid recipients are required to meet academic and degree progress standards set forth in the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy. The Financial Aid Office measures academic progress at the end of each term after grades are finalized.

For more information about academic progress, see the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) or Financial Aid websites.

Loans and Grants

Students who demonstrate financial aid need may be eligible for loans or grants.  They will be considered for one or more of the following programs:

  • Pell Grant,
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant,
  • State University Grant,
  • Cal Grant A or B,
  • Work-Study,
  • Perkins Loan,
  • Direct Subsidized Loan,
  • Parent PLUS Loan, and
  • Graduate PLUS Loan.

Students may qualify for Middle Class Scholarship, Unsubsidized Direct Loan, Parent PLUS Loan, and Teach Grant without demonstrating need. Graduate Students are ineligible for Subsidized Direct Loans.

Work-Study Program

Work-Study is earned through part-time employment in on-campus and certain off-campus jobs. Federal Work Study (FWS) is a form of financial aid largely provided by federal funding. A student must apply for financial aid each year to become eligible for the award, or to keep working in their current Work Study job. Eligible FWS students earn money by working a limited number of hours per week at a pre-approved FWS site location. Employment may be found on or off campus with employers that have arranged in advance to offer FWS positions to Cal State East Bay students. If they are eligible, Work-Study employment can assist students in meeting their educational expenses without incurring indebtedness. Financial Aid will use the information provided on the student’s FAFSA to determine eligibility for Work-Study.


Students may obtain information on scholarship opportunities from Financial Aid and from major departments. Both on and off-campus scholarship information is available on the University’s website. Admitted Students may use the new on-line Pioneer Scholarships application to apply for all East Bay scholarships.

Short-Term Loans

Financial Aid and Student Financial Services also administer the University’s short-term Emergency Loan Program and the intermediate term Foreign Student Loan Program. Students are not required to apply for financial aid to receive these interest free loans. Emergency Loans may not be used to pay University charges and are usually limited to $300 with repayment due in 30 days. Non-U.S. citizens may apply for a maximum of $200 with repayment due within 9 months.

Note: Also see “Fee Waivers for Senior Citizens” under the University website Special Program Registration Procedures - Over Sixty Program.

Students may obtain additional information on eligibility requirements for financial assistance, and the criteria used to distribute aid among eligible applicants who enroll at Cal State East Bay, from the Financial Aid Department.

Availability of Institutional & Financial Assistance Information

Financial Assistance Information

The Office of Financial Aid coordinates financial assistance for students at Cal State East Bay. The following information is available from the Enrollment Information Center in the first floor lobby of the Student Services and Administration building. Students may also call Financial Aid at (510) 885-2784.

  • A description of the federal, state, institutional, local, and private student financial assistance programs available to students who enroll at Cal State East Bay;
  • For each aid program, a description of procedures and forms by which students apply for assistance, student eligibility requirements, criteria for selecting recipients from the group of eligible applicants, and criteria for determining the amount of a student’s award;
  • A description of the rights and responsibilities of students receiving financial assistance, including federal Title IV student assistance programs, and criteria for continued student eligibility under each program;
  • The satisfactory academic progress standards that students must maintain for the purpose of receiving financial assistance and criteria by which a student who has failed to maintain satisfactory progress may reestablish eligibility for financial assistance;
  • The method by which financial assistance disbursements will be made to students and the frequency of those disbursements;
  • The way the school provides for Pell-eligible students to obtain or purchase required books and supplies by the seventh day of a payment period and how the student may opt out;
  • The terms of any loan received as part of the student’s financial aid package, a sample loan repayment schedule, and the necessity for repaying loans;
  • The general conditions and terms applicable to any employment provided as part of the student’s financial aid package;
  • The terms and conditions of the loans students receive under the Direct Loan and Perkins Loan Programs;
  • The exit counseling information the school provides and collects for student borrowers; and
  • Contact information for campus offices available for disputes concerning federal, institutional and private loans.

Students who receive financial aid funds must consult with the Office of Financial Aid prior to withdrawing from the university regarding any required return or repayment of grant or loan assistance received for that academic term or payment period. Students who have received financial aid and withdraw from the institution during the academic term or payment period may need to return or repay some or all of the funds received, which may result in a debt owed to the institution.

Under the direction of Flo Olney, Student Financial Services Manager (510) 885-3767, the following Cal State East Bay information is available:

  • Information concerning the cost of attending is available and includes tuition and fees; the estimated costs of books and supplies; estimates of typical student room, board, and transportation costs; and, if requested, additional costs for specific programs.
  • Information concerning the refund policies for the return of unearned tuition and fees or other refundable portions of institutional charges.
  • Information concerning policies regarding the return of federal Title IV student assistance funds as required by regulation.

Note: for additional Institutional Assistance Information see the Cal State East Bay at a Glance  chapter.

Acceptable Methods of Payment

Go to the MyCSUEB Website here!Credit Cards, Cash, Check

Students may use credit cards, cash, or check for payment of registration fees. See the current MyCSUEB for additional information. The following credit cards are accepted:

  • American Express,
  • Discover,
  • Visa, and
  • MasterCard.
Installment Payment Plans

Installment Payment Plans have been authorized if students are assessed Nonresident Tuition or Tuition Fees. See the current MyCSUEB for additional information about payment plans.

Payment of Special Fees

The Cashier’s Office is located at SA 1200 in the lobby of the Student Services and Administration building accepts in-person cash or check payments for all fees due to Cal State East Bay, such as tuition fees, lab, breakage, test, and parking fees (most payments can also be mailed).

Note: For more information and important dates see the Information About Paying Fees page on the University website. 

Fee Waivers & Exemptions

The California Education Code provides for the waiver of mandatory systemwide tuition fees as follows:

Section 66025.3 -

Dependent eligible to receive assistance under Article 2 of Chapter 4 of Division 4 of the Military and Veterans Code; child of any veteran of the United States military who has a service-connected disability, has been killed in service, or has died of a service-connected disability, and meets specified income provisions; dependent, or surviving spouse who has not remarried of any member of the California National Guard who, in the line of duty, and while in the active service of the state, was killed, died of a disability resulting from an event that occurred while in the active service of the state, or is permanently disabled as a result of an event that occurred while in the active service of the state; and undergraduate student who is a recipient of a Medal of Honor, or undergraduate student who is a child of a recipient of a Medal of Honor who is no more than 27 years old, meets the income restriction and California residency requirement. The waiver of tuition or fees under this section applies only to a person who is determined to be a resident of California pursuant to Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 68000) of Part 41.

Section 66602 -

A qualifying student from the California State University who is appointed by the Governor to serve as Trustee of the California State University for the duration of his or her term of office.

Section 68120 -

Surviving spouse or child of a deceased California resident who was employed by a public agency, or was a contractor or an employee of a contractor, performing service for a public agency, and was killed in the performance of his/her principal duties of active law enforcement or fire suppression and prevention duties (referred to as Alan Pattee Scholarships). A person who qualifies for the waiver under this section as a surviving child of a contractor or of an employee of a contractor, who performed services for a public agency must have enrolled as an undergraduate student at the California State University and meets income restriction requirement.

Section 68121 -

A qualifying student enrolled in an undergraduate program who is the surviving dependent of any individual killed in the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City, the Pentagon building in Washington, D.C., or the crash of United Airlines Flight 93 in southwestern Pennsylvania, if the student meets the financial need requirements set forth in Section 69432.7 for the Cal Grant A Program and either the surviving dependent or the individual killed in the attacks was a resident of California on September 11, 2001. 

Note: Students who may qualify for the above benefits should contact the Admissions/Registrar’s Office for further information and/or an eligibility determination: email admissions@csueastbay.edu or call (510) 885-3500.

The California Education Code provides for the following nonresident tuition exemptions:

Section 68075.7 -

A nonresident student is exempt from paying nonresident tuition or any other fee that is exclusively applicable to nonresident students if the student (1) resides in California, (2) meets the definition of “covered individual” as defined in either: (A) Section 3679(c)(2)(A) or (B)(ii)(l) of Title 38 of the United States Code, as that provision read on January 1, 2017; or (B) Section 3679(c)(2)(B)9(i) or (ii)(II) or Title 38 of the United States Code, as that provision read on January 1, 2017; and (3) is eligible for education benefits under either the federal Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty program or the Post-9/11 GI Bill program as each read on January 1, 2017.

Section 68122 -

A student who is a victim of trafficking, domestic violence, and other serious crimes who has been granted T or U visa status shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition to the same extent as individuals who are admitted to the United States as refugees under Section 1157 of Title 8 of the United States Code. 

Section 68130.5 -

A student, other than a nonimmigrant alien, who is not a resident of California is exempt from paying nonresident tuition if the student meets the requirements of (1) through (4), below:

(1) Satisfaction of the requirements of either subparagraph (A) or subparagraph (B):

(A) A total attendance of, or attainment of credits earned while in California equivalent to, three or more years of full-time attendance or attainment of credits at any of the following:

(i) California high schools.

(ii) California high schools established by the State Board of Education.

(iii) California adult schools established by a county office of education, a unified school district or high school district, or the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (subject to the class hours’ requirement).

(iv) Campuses of the California Community Colleges (subject to the credit requirements).

(v) A combination of those schools set forth in clauses (i) to (iv), inclusive.

(B) Three or more years of full-time high school coursework, and a total of three or more years of attendance in California elementary schools, California secondary schools, or a combination of California elementary and secondary schools.

(2) Satisfaction of any of the following:

(A) Graduation from a California high school or attainment of the equivalent thereof.

(B) Attainment of an associate degree from a campus of the California Community Colleges.

(C) Fulfillment of the minimum transfer requirements established for the California State University for students transferring from a campus of the California Community Colleges.

(3) Registration as an entering student at, or current enrollment at, an accredited institution of higher education in California not earlier than the fall semester or quarter of the 2001-02 academic year.

(4) In the case of a person without lawful immigration status, the filing of an affidavit with the institution of higher education stating that the student has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.

Students who may qualify for any of these benefits listed above can contact the following offices:

Office of Admission
(510) 885-3500; FAX: (510) 885-4059; admissions@csueastbay.edu

Graduate Admission

  • For inquiries regarding admission requirements for a specific program contact the academic department directly.
  • For University Admission requirements questions applicants may e-mail gradadmission@csueastbay.edu

Office of International Admission
(510) 885-7571; FAX: (510) 885-2787; iao@csueastbay.edu

Refund Regulations

Refund disbursements are not made automatically. If students request a refund check (see below) and it is approved, it will be available in approximately four to six weeks.

If students are eligible for a refund of registration fees (including nonresident tuition) because they withdrew or reduced units before the published deadlines, the amount of the refund will automatically be credited to their University account. If they take no action, the University will leave the balance on their account to apply toward future charges.

A few refund situations are listed below.

  • If a student finds it necessary to withdraw officially from Cal State East Bay, they may be eligible for a partial refund of their Registration fees. A Refund Request Form is available at the Cashier’s Office on the first floor of Student Service Building or in the Concord Campus Academic Services Lobby. 
  • If a student withdraws before the first day of instruction for the term, all semester fees, including the Facilities fee, Instructionally Related Activities fee, Associated Students fee, Health Services fee and University Union fee are refunded in full. A $10.00 processing fee will be assessed if a refund check is generated. Information on procedures and deadlines for canceling registration and dropping classes is available in MyCSUEB. The Late Registration fee is not refundable except when due to University error.
  • If a student has been called to active military duty and, as a result, finds it necessary to withdraw from Cal State East Bay, they are eligible for a refund of fees. They must file a Refund Request Form available at the Cashier’s Office on the first floor of Student Service Building with a copy of the orders. 
  • Refunds owed to financial aid recipients will be used to repay the funds from which the student has received financial aid.

Information concerning the refund policy of Cal State East Bay for the return of unearned tuition and fees or other refundable portions of costs is available from the Accounting and Fiscal Services Office, (510) 885-3767.

Refunds of Tuition & Mandatory Fees, Including Nonresident Tuition

Regulations governing the refund of tuition and mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, for students enrolling at the California State University are included in Section 41802 of Title 5, California Code of Regulations. For purposes of the refund policy, mandatory fees are defined as those systemwide and campus fees that are required to be paid in order to enroll in state-supported academic programs at the CSU. Refunds of fees and tuition charges for self-support, special session and extended education programs or courses at the CSU are governed by a separate policy established by the University, available at http://www.csueastbay.edu/student-financial-services

In order to receive a full refund of tuition and mandatory fees, less an administrative charge established by the campus, including nonresident tuition, a student must cancel registration or drop all courses prior to the first day of instruction for the term. Information on procedures and deadlines for canceling registration and dropping classes is available on MyCSUEB.

For state-supported semesters, quarters and non-standard terms or courses of four weeks or more, a student who withdraws during the term in accordance with the University’s established procedures or drops all courses prior to the campus-designated drop period will receive a refund of tuition and mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, based on the portion of the term during which the student was enrolled. No student withdrawing after the 60 percent point in the term will be entitled to a refund of any mandatory fees or nonresident tuition.

A student who, within the campus designated drop period and in accordance with campus procedures, drops units resulting in a lower tuition and/or mandatory fee obligation shall be entitled to a refund of applicable tuition and mandatory fees less an administrative charge established by the campus.

For state-supported non-standard terms or courses of less than four weeks, no refunds of tuition and mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, will be made unless a student cancels registration or drops all classes, in accordance with the University’s established procedures and deadlines, prior to the first day of instruction for state-supported non-standard terms or courses or prior to the first meeting for courses of less than four weeks.

Students will also receive a refund of tuition and mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, under the following circumstances:

  • The tuition and fees were assessed or collected in error;
  • The course for which the tuition and fees were assessed or collected was cancelled by the University;
  • The University makes a delayed decision that the student was not eligible to enroll in the term for which tuition and mandatory fees were assessed and collected and the delayed decision was not due to incomplete or inaccurate information provided by the student; or
  • The student was activated for compulsory military service.

Students who are not entitled to a refund as described above may petition the University for a refund demonstrating exceptional circumstances and the chief financial officer of the University or designee may authorize a refund if they determine that the fees and tuition were not earned by the University.

Information concerning any aspect of the refund of fees may be obtained from the Cashier’s Office, 1st Floor, Student Services and Administration Building, (510) 885-3865.

Fees & Debts Owed to the Institution

Should a student or former student fail to pay a fee or a debt owed to the institution, including tuition and student charges, the institution may “withhold permission to register, to use facilities for which a fee is authorized to be charged, to receive services, materials, food or merchandise or any combination of the above from any person owing a debt” until the debt is paid (see Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Sections 42380 and 42381).

Prospective students who register for courses offered by the University are obligated for the payment of charges and fees associated with registration for those courses. Note: Failure to cancel registration in any course for an academic term prior to the first day of the academic term gives rise to an obligation to pay student charges and fees including any tuition for the reservation of space in the course.

The institution may withhold permission to register or to receive official transcripts of grades or other services offered by the institution from anyone owing fees or another debt to the institution. The institution may also report the debt to a credit bureau, offset the amount due against any future state tax refunds due the student, refer the debt to an outside collection agency and/or charge the student actual and reasonable collection costs, including reasonable attorney fees if litigation is necessary, in collecting any amount not paid when due.

If a person believes he or she does not owe all or part of an asserted unpaid obligation, that person may contact Student Financial Services, (510) 885-3767, or the individual to which the business office may refer the person, will review all pertinent information provided by the person and available to the campus and will advise the person of its conclusions. 

Procedure for Establishing or Abolishment of Campus-Based Mandatory Fees

The law governing the California State University provides that specific campus fees defined as mandatory, such as a student association fee and a student center fee, may be established. A student association fee must be established upon a favorable vote of two-thirds of the students voting in an election held for this purpose (Education Code, Section 89300). The campus President may adjust the student association fee only after the fee adjustment has been approved by a majority of students voting in a referendum established for that purpose. The required fee shall be subject to referendum at any time upon the presentation of a petition to the campus President containing the signatures of 10 percent of the regularly enrolled students at the University. Student association fees support a variety of cultural and recreational programs, childcare centers, and special student support programs. A student center fee may be established only after a fee referendum is held which approves by a two-thirds favorable vote the establishment of the fee (Education Code, Section 89304). Once bonds are issued, authority to set and adjust student center fees is governed by provisions of the State University Revenue Bond Act of 1947, including, but not limited to, Education Code sections 90012, 90027, and 90068.

The process to establish and adjust other campus-based mandatory fees requires consideration by the campus fee advisory committee and a student referendum as established by Executive Order 1102, Section III. The campus President may use alternate consultation mechanisms if he/she determines that a referendum is not the best mechanism to achieve appropriate and meaningful consultation. Results of the referendum and the fee committee review are advisory to the campus President. The President may adjust campus-based mandatory fees but must request the Chancellor to establish a new mandatory fee. The President shall provide to the campus fee advisory committee a report of all campus-based mandatory fees. The campus shall report annually to the Chancellor a complete inventory of all campus-based mandatory fees.

For more information or questions, please contact the Budget Office in the CSU Chancellor’s Office at (562) 951-4560.