Apr 19, 2024  
2017-2018 CSU East Bay Catalog 
2017-2018 CSU East Bay Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Glossary of Terms & Definitions

Academic Dishonesty

Academic Grading Symbols


Administrative Grading Symbols

Advancement to Candidacy

Affirmative Consent


Baccalaureate Degree Defined

Capstone Experience

Certificate Program Defined

“Classified” Status

Consensual Relationship


Credit Equivalency

Credit Hour



Doctoral Degree Defined

Domestic Violence



Dating Violence

Free Electives

Grade Point Average (GPA)

Graduate Student

Hybrid Course

Independent Study Course

Individual Study Course


Master’s Degree Defined


Minor Defined

Multiple Majors


Non-catalog Courses

On-ground Course

Online Course

Open University


Prefixes (Course, Dept, College)



Sexual Assault & Sexual Battery

Sexual Discrimination

Sexual Harassment

Sexual Misconduct


Undergraduate Classification Level



Missing an important definition?  Email the Editor

Academic Dishonesty

Academic Dishonesty includes, but is not limited to:
  • cheating, which includes possessing unauthorized sources of information during examinations, copying the work of others, permitting others to copy your work, submitting work done by others, completing assignments for others, altering work after grading and subsequently submitting it for re-grading, submitting the same work for two or more classes without the permission of all instructors involved, or retaining materials that you have been instructed to return to your instructor;
  • plagiarism, which includes taking the words, ideas, or substance of another and either copying or paraphrasing the work without giving credit to the source through appropriate use of footnotes, quotation marks, or reference citations;
  • providing materials to another with knowledge they will be improperly used;
  • possessing another’s work without permission;
  • selling, purchasing, or trading materials for class assignments (includes purchasing term papers via the World Wide Web);
  • altering the work of another;
  • knowingly furnishing false or incomplete academic information;
  • altering documents that make up part of the student record;
  • forging signatures or falsifying information on any official academic document;
  • inventing data or falsifying an account of the method through which data was generated.

Academic Grading Symbols for Undergraduate Courses

Academic Grading Symbols
Academic Symbols Definitions Grade (Quality) Points Earned
A Excellent 4.0
A- Excellent 3.7
B+ Good 3.3
B Good 3.0
B- Good 2.7
C+ Satisfactory 2.3
C Satisfactory 2.0
C- Satisfactory 1.7
D+ Poor 1.3
D Poor 1.0
F Failing 0.0
CR Credit 0.0
NC No Credit 0.0
“A-F” Grading Pattern

Courses required for your major in your major department are taken in this pattern. Specific department exemptions are noted in the course description. Faculty use of “+” or “-” is optional.

Credit/No Credit and A/B/C/No Credit Grading Patterns (CR/NC and A/B/C/NC)

You may enroll in up to 60 units in credit/no credit patterns as an undergraduate. There are two credit/no credit patterns: (1) “CR/NC,” and (2) “A/B/C/NC.” Some courses are only offered in the “CR/NC” or “A/B/C/NC” patterns. You can select the “CR/NC” pattern for most other courses subject to certain restrictions. You can choose the “CR/NC” pattern during Registration until the end of the Add/Drop period. No changes to, or from, the credit/no credit pattern are permitted after the Add/Drop period. There are no exceptions to this rule. No course in your major department, regardless of course prefix, may be taken “CR/NC,” unless that is the only grading pattern in the course.

Units that you earn in courses taken under these grading patterns will apply to your degree requirements as long as they are not remedial courses (courses numbered 0800 - 0999). “CR” signifies you mastered the material at the level of “C-” or higher. “NC” signifies a work level of “D+” or lower. Faculty use of “+” or “-” is optional.


Academic Grading Symbols for Graduate Courses

The academic grading symbols used for graduate courses are as follows:

Academic Grade Standard of Work Represented Grade (Quality) Points
A Superior 4.0
A- Superior 3.7
B+ Adequate 3.3
B Adequate 3.0
B- Adequate1 2.7
C+ Substandard 2.3
C Substandard 2.0
C- Substandard 1.7
D+ Unacceptable 1.3
D Unacceptable 1.0
F Failing 0.0
CR2 Credit 0.0
NC2 No Credit 0.0
1Note that a “B-” grade, though described as “adequate,” generates fewer than 3.0 grade (quality) points and must be balanced by a grade of “B+” or highter.
2These grades cannot be selected by students. They are only available in graduate courses offered exclusively on a “credit/no credit” basis.


Authority for decisions regarding the transfer of undergraduate credits is delegated to each California State University (CSU) campus. Most commonly, college level credits earned from an institution of higher education accredited by a regional accrediting agency are accepted for transfer to campuses of the CSU; however, authority for decisions regarding the transfer of undergraduate credits is delegated to each CSU campus.

CSU campuses may enter into course-to-course or program-to-program articulation agreements with other CSU campuses and any or all of the California Community Colleges, and other regionally accredited institutions. Established CSU and California Community College articulations may be found on www.assist.org. Students may be permitted to transfer no more than 70 semester (105 quarter) units to a CSU campus from an institution that does not offer bachelor’s degrees or their equivalents, for example, community colleges. Given the university’s 30-semester (45-quarter) unit residency requirement, no more than a total of 90-semester (135-quarter) units may be transferred into the University from all sources.


Administrative Grading Symbols

Administrative Grading Symbols
Administrative Grading Symbols Definitions Grade (Quality) Points Earned
RP Report in Progress 0.0
I Incomplete (Authorized) 0.0
IC Incomplete Charged 0.0
RD Report Delayed 0.0
W Withdrawal 0.0
WU Withdrawal Unauthorized 0.0
AU Audit 0.0
Report in Progress (RP)

The symbol “RP,” Report in Progress, is used in connection with courses that extend beyond an academic term. It indicates that work is in progress, but that a final grade cannot be assigned until additional work is completed. The work is to be completed within one year, except in the case of graduate theses or dissertation. A graduate thesis or dissertation must be completed and approved within five years of the student’s initial enrollment in a thesis or dissertation course. If the work is not completed within the established time limit (one year, and for graduate theses and dissertation, five years), the “RP” grade will be changed to an “F” or “NC,” depending on the grading pattern of the course.

Incomplete (I)

The symbol “I”, Incomplete (Authorized), indicates that (1) a discrete portion of the required coursework has not been completed and evaluated in the prescribed time period due to unforeseen, but fully justified, reasons, (2) attending a future offering of the class is not required to complete the work, and (3) the instructor believes it likely that the student will earn credit for the course upon completion of that work. Students who are currently failing a course are not eligible for an Incomplete. It is the student’s responsibility to bring pertinent information to the attention of the instructor and to determine from the instructor the remaining course requirements that must be satisfied to remove the Incomplete. A final grade is assigned when the work agreed upon has been completed and evaluated. The instructor will specify the work needed for completion which can be viewed in MyCSUEB.

An “I” must normally be made up within one calendar year immediately following the end of the term during which it was assigned. This limitation prevails whether or not the student maintains continuous enrollment. Students may not repeat a course in which they currently have an incomplete grade.

When the required work has been completed and evaluated, the instructor will submit a change of grade form and the academic grade will be recorded. If students do not complete the work within the allowed time limit, the grade will be recorded as an “IC” (Incomplete Charged).

Incomplete Charged (IC)

The symbol “IC,” Incomplete Charged, is used if the student received an authorized incomplete (“I”), but did not complete the required coursework within the allowed time limit, and the original grading pattern of the course was “A-F.” The “IC” replaces the “I” and is counted as a failing grade for computing grade point average. Students may be able to receive up to two one-quarter extensions from the instructor. These extensions are for cause and must be approved by both the instructor and department chair. (Examples of cause include military service, serious health or personal problems, or instructor’s leave of absence.) If students want credit for a course after an “I” has been converted to an “IC,” they must re-register and pass the course.
Students can graduate with an “I” grade on their record if the course is not necessary for graduation requirements. No grade may be changed once the degree has been awarded.

Report Delayed (RD)

Students will be assigned this administrative grade for a course if the instructor notifies the Office of the Registrar that grade reports have been delayed by circumstances beyond his or her control. An example is the illness of the instructor at the end of the quarter. The instructor will replace the “RD” grade with an academic grade as soon as possible. If the instructor fails to replace it with an academic grade by the end of the following term, the grade “RD” will be converted to a “WU” or an “NC” depending on your grading pattern.

Withdrawal (W)

This administrative grade indicates that the student was permitted to withdraw from a course after the end of the Add/Drop period with the approval of the instructor and department chair. The requests and approvals shall state the reasons for withdrawal. This grade does not reflect the quality of performance and is not used in calculating grade point average. The instructor is urged to provide the student with a mechanism to evaluate their progress in the course during the first two weeks so that they can make an informed decision regarding their continued enrollment before the beginning of the withdrawal period.
Undergraduate students may withdraw from no more than 28 quarter units in the undergraduate career. Only withdrawals recorded in terms beginning with Fall 2009 are counted. Open University units are counted toward the maximum units. Students who have reached the limit on withdrawals may file an academic petition to allow additional withdrawals from courses. No limitations are placed on withdrawals by post-baccalaureate students taking classes in a post-baccalaureate career. 

Withdrawal after the seventh week is normally not permitted. If students have attended the class, done the work, and have a valid reason for failing to complete the course, their instructor should normally assign the “I,” Incomplete (Authorized) grade.
Withdrawal from a class after the seventh week requires a petition including verification of the reason by an impartial third party, written on letterhead, and signature of the instructor, department chair, and college dean. The requirements for withdrawal from the university from the third through the seventh weeks must also be fulfilled. Petitions are then reviewed by the Registration and Records Appeals Committee, approval is not automatic.
Students may not withdraw if they have taken the final examination or completed all course requirements.
If students do not attend class and do not have an approved withdrawal petition, they will receive a failing grade of “WU” or “NC,” depending on the grading pattern selected for the course.
Details on the withdrawal process are documented in the Registration & Enrollment  chapter.

Withdrawal Unauthorized (WU)

This administrative grade indicates that students enrolled in a course, but did not withdraw from the course and also failed to complete course requirements. It is used when, in the opinion of the instructor, completed assignments or course activities, or both, were insufficient to make normal evaluation of academic performance possible. The “WU” is calculated in the grade point average as an “F” grade.

Audit (AU)

Students may take courses for instruction only (Audit), and will attend class but will not receive credit. Audit students will pay the same fees and enjoy the same instructional privileges as students enrolled for credit. Audit students may participate in class, take examinations or complete other assignments, but are not required to do so.
Students may not petition to change their enrollment status from, or to, “Audit” after the Add/Drop period has ended.
Details on the audit process are covered in the Registration & Enrollment  chapter.


Advancement to Candidacy

“Candidacy” is a status which recognizes completion of substantial progress towards your degree. A student becomes eligible for Advancement to Candidacy when they:

  • have become a “Classified Graduate” student in good standing;
  • have completed at least 12 quarter units of 6000-level coursework with a minimum 3.0 GPA;
  • have designed a formal program of study approved by your graduate advisor;
  • have fulfilled the University Writing Skills Requirement;
  • have completed other department prerequisites for advancement; and
  • are recommended for Advancement to Candidacy by their academic advisor (subject to approval by the department’s graduate coordinator).

Affirmative Consent

Affirmative Consent means an informed, affirmative, conscious, voluntary, and mutual agreement to engage in sexual activity.  It is the responsibility of each person involved in the sexual activity to ensure that s/he has the affirmative consent of the other participant(s) to engage in the sexual activity.  Lack of protest or resistance does not mean consent nor does silence mean consent.  Affirmative consent must be voluntary, and given without coercion, force, threats or intimidation.

  • The existence of a dating or social relationship between those involved, or the fact of past sexual activities between them, should never by itself be assumed to be an indicator of affirmative consent.  A request for someone to use a condom or birth control does not, in and of itself, constitute affirmative consent.
  • Affirmative consent can be withdrawn or revoked.  Consent to one form of sexual activity (or sexual act) does not constitute consent to other forms of sexual activity. Consent given to sexual activity on one occasion does not constitute consent on another occasion.  There must always be mutual and affirmative consent to engage in sexual activity.  Consent must be ongoing throughout a sexual activity and can be revoked at any time, including after penetration.  Once consent is withdrawn or revoked, the sexual activity must stop immediately.
  • A person who is incapacitated cannot give affirmative consent. A person is unable to consent when s/he is asleep, unconscious or is incapacitated due to the influence of drugs, alcohol, or medication so that s/he could not understand the fact, nature or extent of the sexual activity. A person is incapacitated if s/he lacks the physical and/or mental ability to make informed, rational decisions. Whether an intoxicated person (as a result of using alcohol or other drugs) is incapacitated depends on the extent to which the alcohol or other drugs impact the person’s decision- making capacity, awareness of consequences, and ability to make fully informed judgments.  A person’s own intoxication or incapacitation from drugs or alcohol does not diminish that person’s responsibility to obtain affirmative consent before engaging in sexual activity.
  • A person with a medical or mental disability may also lack the capacity to give consent.
  • Sexual activity with a minor (a person under 18 years old) is not consensual, because a minor is considered incapable of giving legal consent due to age.
  • It shall not be a valid excuse that a person affirmatively consented to the sexual activity if the respondent knew or reasonably should have known that the person was unable to consent to the sexual activity under any of the following circumstances:
    • The person was asleep or unconscious;
    • The person was incapacitated due to the influence of drugs, alcohol or medication, so that the person could not understand the fact, nature or extent of the sexual activity;
    • The person was unable to communicate due to a mental or physical condition
  • It shall not be a valid excuse that the respondent believed that the person consented to the sexual activity under either of the following circumstances:
    • The respondent’s belief in affirmative consent arose from the intoxication or recklessness of the respondent;
    • The respondent did not take reasonable steps, in the circumstances known to the respondent at the time, to ascertain whether the person affirmatively consented.


An auditor (an enrolled student or non-enrolled individual) pays the same fees and enjoys the same instructional privileges as a student enrolled for credit, but is not held responsible for examinations or term papers. Regular class attendance is expected, and enrollment as an auditor may be deleted if the expected attendance is not observed. If students wish to enroll in a course as an auditor, they must obtain permission from the instructor of the course. Enrollment as an auditor is permitted only after students otherwise eligible to enroll on a credit basis have had an opportunity to do so. Once enrolled in a course as an auditor, students may not change their enrollment to a credit basis unless such a change is requested no later than the last day to add classes. Students, who are enrolled in a course for credit, may not change to an audit basis after the Add/Drop period has ended.


Baccalaureate Degree Defined

A baccalaureate degree, often called a bachelor’s degree, is the academic title that the university confers after successful completion of a minimum number of college credit units (180 quarter units at Cal State East Bay), including certain specified patterns of coursework (for example, General Education and a major), a minimum number of advanced units (60 upper division) with a grade point average of at least 2.00 (on a 4.00 point scale), and various other requirements specified in Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations. Some students in higher unit majors will complete more than the minimum 180 units for their degree. Cal State East Bay offers three baccalaureate degrees, a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree, a Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.), and a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree. The degree awarded appears on your diploma and permanent record.

Many students are able to attend school full-time (three quarters) and earn 15-16 units a term. Because some students have commitments other than college, they take fewer units and occasionally do not attend every quarter. Consequently they take longer to complete their degrees.

Cal State East Bay operates on a year-round, four-quarter system. Hence, by taking a full academic load of 15-16 units per quarter, four quarters a year, it is possible to graduate in three years. (A maximum of 105 units may be completed at a community college and transferred to a CSU campus.)

Information concerning the graduation rates of students enrolling at Cal State East Bay is available online at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/ira/


Capstone Experience

The capstone experience of the graduate program will be the successful completion of a thesis, project, or comprehensive examination. The quality of the student’s work, including quality of expression, is the major consideration in judging the success of this degree component.


A thesis is the written product of a systematic study of a significant issue. In the thesis, the student is expected to identify the issue, state the major assumptions, explain the significance of the project, detail sources for and methods of obtaining data, provide analysis of the data, and offer conclusions. The thesis should demonstrate original critical and independent thinking, appropriate organization and format, and thorough documentation. If the research involves human subjects, the protocols must be approved by the Institutional Review Board (see “Research with Human Subjects” in the Appendix).

Cal State East Bay offers two kinds of master’s degree theses, University Thesis (numbered 6910) and Departmental Thesis (numbered 6909). Students required, or electing, to write a thesis must register for a minimum of one unit of either 6909 or 6910 in order to receive credit toward completion of this capstone experience. Students should check with the department for information on the number of units for which they must enroll.

Most criteria are the same for both the Departmental Thesis and the University Thesis.

  • The candidate must be a graduate student (i.e., admitted to a master’s degree program) to enroll in a thesis course; the academic department may add additional requirements.
  • The student’s thesis work will be supervised by a departmental committee which must include at least one Cal State East Bay faculty member who is a member of the major department.
  • The student may not receive credit for more units of thesis work than allowed by the degree program.
  • Each quarter the student will receive a grade of “RP” (Report in Progress) for units earned in 6909 or 6910 until they have completed their thesis; the student will then be given a final grade for the entire course. No “RP” units will be counted towards the degree or in calculating their GPA. If the thesis is not approved within five years of your initial enrollment in a thesis course, the “RP” grade(s) will be changed to “F” or “NC” (depending on the grading pattern of the course).
  • Normally a degree candidate will be required to present an oral defense of their thesis.

There are also a few significant differences between the two kinds of theses:

A Master’s degree candidate may not earn more than 9 units for University Thesis, while the maximum for Departmental Thesis is 5 units. Several departments have lower unit requirements, so the student should check the program description in this catalog.

The format of a University Thesis is established by the Associate Vice President, Academic Programs and Graduate Studies. Since these works are expected to serve as resources for future research, the format is formal. An electronic copy is placed in the Institutional Repository. A Departmental Thesis, on the other hand, is usually not as formal. The Departmental Thesis standards and format are determined by the department, and the thesis is retained by the department.  

University Thesis: 

For information on the steps to follow (the approval process, required format for the structural elements of the thesis, and deadlines) when writing a University Thesis, consult the University Thesis Writing Guide available online at: www.csueastbay.edu/thesiswritingguide. If a student has questions concerning the selection of a topic, and/or the procedure to establish a thesis committee and research protocols, they should contact their department advisor or graduate coordinator. If the student has additional questions concerning the formatting and binding of their University Thesis after having read the University Thesis Writing Guide, it is recommended they contact the University Thesis Editor at: thesis.editor@csueastbay.edu

Departmental Thesis: 

For information about a Departmental Thesis (the department’s thesis guidelines, including format, acceptable thesis topics, and procedures to establish a thesis committee) contact the department advisor or graduate coordinator.


A project is a significant piece of non-written work in either a fine or applied art or a professional field. Projects should provide evidence of originality, independent thinking, and appropriate form and organization. Students are required to describe their project in a written abstract that addresses the project’s significance, objectives, methodology, and conclusions. In some cases, the student may be required to present an oral defense.

Specific criteria for a Project (numbered 6899) are the same as those for a Departmental Thesis with a few exceptions.

  • An “RP” grade in a project course will become an “F” (no “NC” option) after one year if your project is not completed.
  • While the project need not be considered a research resource, it should be of a caliber to constitute a valid terminal activity in a master’s degree program and will be permitted only when a thesis is not appropriate.

If a Master’s degree student changes from a program requiring a thesis to one requiring a project (or vice versa), they may count a combined maximum of 9 units for 6909, 6910, and 6899 towards the degree.

Comprehensive Examination

A comprehensive examination is intended to assess the student’s mastery of relevant subject matter, their ability to analyze and integrate the knowledge of their field, their skill in critical and independent thinking, and their use of appropriate organization and accurate documentation. A record of the student’s examination (questions and responses) will be retained by their department. Some departments grant unit credit for exam preparation while others do not.


Certificate Program Defined

A certificate program is a coherent set of academic courses, considerably narrower in scope and objectives than a degree or major, for which you can receive a certificate upon its successful completion. Most certificate programs are oriented toward occupations and/or career skills. A certificate program must contain at least 12 units of courses numbered 3000 or above and a minimum of 20 total units (unless the certificate consists solely of 5000-and 6000-level courses in which case only 15 units are required). Each certificate program must contain a required core of at least three courses and 12 units. You can design a special certificate with faculty advice. See the General Education: Interdisciplinary Studies and Special Certificates  chapter of this catalog.

Some certificate programs have admission requirements. Refer to the catalog description of the specific certificate program for more information. You must receive a grade of “C” or better in each undergraduate and 5000-level course and a “B” or better in each graduate course (6000- level) applied to the program. Only one course below the 6000-level may be taken “CR/NC” and no graduate course may be taken “CR/NC” in a certificate program unless that is the only grading pattern for the course. You must take at least 75% of the courses and all 5000- and 6000- level courses at Cal State East Bay. You may not receive a certificate if you have already received a major, option, or minor with the same title.

Certificate programs are designed to serve students who have a limited time to spend at Cal State East Bay and/or who wish to learn specific subjects, concepts, skills, and competencies. Most certificate programs add a specific occupational skill to an academic major that was previously completed or is being completed concurrently. Such programs are compatible with the related major and contain no prerequisites not included in the major and/or required G.E. Some certificate programs are designed to provide the preprofessional background for students contemplating transfer to other universities offering programs not available at CSUEB. These certificate programs have been made compatible with the professional program by including all prerequisite or strongly recommended preparatory courses that are offered by Cal State East Bay. Still other certificate programs are the equivalent of minors that can be earned without a degree. These are normally completed by students who already possess a baccalaureate degree and want to add some skills in a new field without completing another entire degree. Such certificate programs meet at least the minimum requirements for an academic minor in the discipline. 

No student is required to complete a certificate program. Completion of a certificate program is recognized by the awarding of a certificate. There is no notation about the program on either a diploma or permanent record. (The courses will, of course, be on your permanent record.) You may pursue a certificate program before, during, or after your baccalaureate degree. Unlike a minor, a certificate is not part of a degree.

University Extension also offers professional and career development Certificate Programs which may be taken for academic credit or Continuing Education Units (CEUs).  For information about the certificate programs offered by University Extension please visit https://www.ce.csueastbay.edu/.


“Classified” Status

What does it mean to be admitted as a “classified”, “unclassified” or “conditionally classified” student?

Graduate Classified

To be admitted as “classified,” a graduate student must have fulfill all of the professional, personal, scholastic, and other standards, including qualifying examinations, prescribed by the campus for the degree objective inwhich the student has declared upon admission.

Graduate Conditionally Classified

Applicants may be admitted to a graduate degree program as “conditionally” classified if, in the opinion of appropriate campus authority, deficiencies (i.e. from the list above) may be remedied by additional preparation.  This is meant to be a temporary status until the conditionally classified student has fulfilled all of the professional, personal, scholastic, and other standards, including qualifying examinations, prescribed by the campus for the degree objective.

Post-Baccalaureate Classified, e.g. admission to an education credential program

Persons wishing to enroll in a credential or certificate program, will be required to satisfy additional professional, personal, scholastic, and other standards, including qualifying examinations, prescribed by the campus. By meeting the specific program requirements, applicants are eligible for admission as post-baccalaureate classified students

Post-Baccalaureate Unclassified

To enroll in undergraduate courses as preparation for advanced degree programs or to enroll in graduate courses for professional or personal growth, applicants must be admitted as post-baccalaureate unclassified students. By meeting the general requirements, applicants are eligible for admission as post-baccalaureate unclassified students. Admission in this status does not constitute admission to, or assurance of consideration for admission to, any graduate degree or credential program.

Note: Most CSU campuses, including Cal State East Bay, do not offer admission to unclassified post-baccalaureate students.


Consensual Relationship

Consensual relationship means a sexual or romantic relationship between two persons who voluntarily enter into such a relationship.  While sexual and/or romantic relationships between members of the University community may begin as consensual, they may evolve into situations that lead to discrimination, harassment, retaliation, sexual misconduct, dating or domestic violence, or stalking.

  • A University employee shall not enter into a consensual relationship with a student or employee over whom s/he exercises direct or otherwise significant academic, administrative, supervisory, evaluative, counseling, or extracurricular authority.  In the event such a relationship already exists, each campus shall develop a procedure to reassign such authority to avoid violations of policy.
  • This prohibition does not limit the right of an employee to make a recommendation on the personnel matters concerning a family or household member where the right to make recommendations on such personnel matters is explicitly provided for in the applicable collective bargaining agreement or MPP/confidential personnel plan.


A co-requisite course is a course that must be taken concurrently in the same quarter, or have been previously completed.


Credit Equivalency

A semester course that is replacing a quarter course(s) within a department, where both can be considered equivalent for major requirement, articulation, and academic renewal purposes.  If a course is equivalent, students who took the quarter version of the course, and passed, cannot then register for and receive credit for the semester version of the course.


Credit Hour

As of July 1, 2011 federal law (Title 34, Code of Federal Regulations, sections 600.2 and 600.4) requires all accredited institutions to comply with the federal definition of the credit hour. For all CSU degree programs and courses bearing academic credit, the “credit hour” is defined as “the amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than:

1.One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of- class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or

2.At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution, including laboratory work, internships, practice, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.”

A credit hour is assumed to be a 50-minute period. In courses in which “seat time” does not apply, a credit hour may be measured by an equivalent amount of work, as demonstrated by student achievement.



Cross-listed courses are two identical courses (number, title, units, classification and description are the same), but each have differing course prefixes. Cross-listed courses can belong to differing departments or the same department.  An example could be: ABC 1234 is cross listed with XYZ 1234 - they are essentially the same course except for their prefixes.

Also see: Prefixes in this chapter.


Dating Violence

Dating violence is abuse committed by a person who is or has been in a social or dating relationship of a romantic or intimate nature with the victim. This may include someone the victim just met; i.e., at a party, introduced through a friend, or on a social networking website. For purposes of this definition, “abuse” means intentionally or recklessly causing or attempting to cause bodily injury or placing another person in reasonable apprehension of imminent serious bodily injury to himself or herself, or another. Abuse does not include non-physical, emotional distress or injury.


Doctoral Degree Defined

Cal State East Bay offers one (Ed.D) doctoral program.  A graduate student who wishes to receive a 90-unit doctoral degree in Education should check the Educational Leadership for Social Justice, Ed.D.  program chapter in this catalog, as well as consult the Doctoral Handbook (available from the Department of Educational Leadership  office) for academic load information.


Domestic Violence

Domestic violence is abuse committed against someone who is a current or former spouse, current or former cohabitant, someone with whom the abuser has a child, someone with whom the abuser has or had a dating or engagement relationship, or a person similarly situated under California domestic or family violence law. Cohabitant means two unrelated persons living together for a substantial period of time, resulting in some permanency of relationship. It does not include roommates who do not have a romantic, intimate, or sexual relationship. Factors that may determine whether persons are cohabiting include, but are not limited to:

  1. sexual relations between the parties while sharing the same living quarters,
  2. sharing of income or expenses,
  3. joint use or ownership of property,
  4. whether the parties hold themselves out as husband and wife,
  5. the continuity of the relationship, and
  6. the length of the relationship.

For purposes of this definition, “abuse” means intentionally or recklessly causing or attempting to cause bodily injury or placing another person in reasonable apprehension of imminent serious bodily injury to himself or herself, or another. Abuse does not include non-physical, emotional distress or injury.



The word “drop” refers to official deletion of a course from a student’s record. If students cannot continue enrollment in a course for which they enrolled in for that particular quarter, they must officially drop the course using MyCSUEB. Students can not “drop” after the end of the Add/Drop period, but they can “withdraw” until the seventh week of the term. 

See also: Withdrawal in this chapter.



Dual-listed courses are those that are identical in content with undergraduate and graduate students taught in the same classroom, with the same instructor, and at the same time.  However, the course requirements will be different for the undergraduate and graduate.  The undergraduate course should have an upper division, senior-level course number; the graduate course will have a 6000-level course number.


Free Electives

Most students have some units not prescribed by G.E., the major, or other graduation requirements. These range from one or two courses in a few very large, occupationally oriented majors to a dozen or more courses in some humanities and social science majors.

Free electives are courses you are free to select to complete your minimum unit requirements for the degree. Some students complete free electives with whatever looks interesting when they have free hours in their schedules, but most students have a purpose in mind. This could be taking more courses in the major to prepare for graduate school or employment, taking a minor or certificate program (defined in this section) to complement the major (e.g., an English major taking a Marketing minor), or simply following a special interest (e.g., dance or photography). No student is required to do any of these things, but it is important that you understand your choices.


Grade Point Average & Its Significance

Grade point average (GPA) is computed by dividing the total number of quality hours (units attempted), whether or not they were passed (but excluding “CR/NC” courses and those in which administrative grades were assigned except for the “WU”), into the number of quality (grade) points earned. A 2.00 (C) average in all college/university courses, all Cal State East Bay courses, and all major courses is required for a baccalaureate degree (excluding “CR,” “NC,” “W,” and “AU” grades). All courses required by a major, including those in other departments, must be included in the calculation of the major GPA.

“CR” and “NC” grades and units are not included in the GPA calculation.

“RP” and “I” grades and units are not included in the GPA calculation. An “RP” or “I” grade becomes an “F” if the coursework is not completed in the specified time frame. The “F” will be included in the GPA calculation in the quarter in which the “RP” or “I” changes.

“WU” grades are regarded the same as “F’s” in the GPA calculation.

“RD” grades and units are not included in the GPA.

“W” grades and units are not included in the GPA.

“RD” grades and units are not included in your GPA.

“W” grades and units are not included in your GPA.

You earn grade (quality) points on the following basis:
  • 4 quality points per unit of A,
  • 3.7 quality points per unit of A-,
  • 3.3 quality points per unit of B+,
  • 3 quality points per unit of B,
  • 2.7 quality points per unit of B-,
  • 2.3 quality points per unit of C+,
  • 2 quality points per unit of C,
  • 1.7 quality points per unit of C-,
  • 1.3 quality points per unit of D+, and 1 quality point per unit of D.
  • A grade of “F” or “WU” earns no quality points.

Graduate Student Defined

A student is considered a Graduate Student at Cal State East Bay if they have been admitted as:

A Master’s Student

A student that has been admitted to a specific master’s degree program as a “Conditionally Classified” or “Classified” student, or to an advanced credential program which can be earned in conjunction with a master’s degree.  A graduate student who wishes to receive a 45-unit master’s degree in one year needs to enroll in 15 units for three quarters or 11-12 units for four quarters. (Eight units a quarter is the minimum for full-time status.)

A Post-Baccalaureate Student

Basic teacher credential programs constitute a separate area of post-baccalaureate work, and students in these programs are defined as “Classified Post-Baccalaureate” students.

A Doctoral Student

A student who wishes to receive a 90-unit doctoral degree in Education.  These students should check the Educational Leadership for Social Justice, Ed.D.  program chapter in this catalog, as well as consult the Doctoral Handbook (available from the Department office) for academic load information.


Hybrid Course

A hybrid class is taught with the aspects of both on-ground and online environments; access to a computer can be required.


Independent Study Course

An Independent Study course is a program of study, which is above and beyond the regular offerings of a department. The number of such a course is 4900, 5900, 6900 or 8900 depending on the level and content of the work. Such a course is considered as elective credit in the program of a student working for a specified objective. Students may apply no more than 12 units of independent study in the major department and 8 units in other departments to a baccalaureate degree.

The privilege of Independent Study is limited to undergraduate students who have at least a 2.0 (C) grade point average and graduate students with at least a 3.0 (B) grade point average in all courses in the field or department in which the Independent Study is to be taken, both at this institution and in any work attempted at other institutions. If students are on academic probation, they are ineligible for Independent Study. Independent Study is restricted to students who are able to work with minimal supervision. No faculty member is required to teach an Independent Study course, and arrangements must be made to determine how the faculty’s teaching overload (if any) will be made up.

Students may obtain applications for Independent Study (Special Registration Petition) in departmental offices. The application, with signatures of approval, is to be returned to the department office during the enrollment period for that term.

A course offered by Independent (or Individual) Study shall be taught only by a professor in the department offering the credit or by a professor the department judges to be competent to teach the particular course.


Individual Study Course

An Individual Study course is a course that is listed in the Cal State East Bay Catalog, but is not being offered during the term in which a student must gain course credit to complete a specified objective. Permission to take such a course may be granted only in cases of necessity, and arrangements must be made to determine how the faculty’s teaching overload (if any) will be made up. Students may obtain applications for Individual Study (Special Registration Petition) in departmental offices. They then return the application, with signatures of approval, to the departmental office during the enrollment period for that term.


Major Defined

A major is a specified pattern of courses in a particular discipline or group of disciplines. (A list of Cal State East Bay undergraduate majors appears on the page of this catalog.) It complements G.E. by allowing you to specialize in one area, to study it in more depth than the one or two courses taken for G.E. in other disciplines. A few majors (such as Music and Spanish) are self-contained in the major department and have no courses that can double-count in G.E. Most majors, however, require some coursework in other departments and these courses, if applicable to G.E., can be double-counted. You can design an Interdisciplinary Studies Major with faculty advice and administrative support (see the General Education: Interdisciplinary Studies and Special Certificates  chapter of this catalog).

A major is not the same as a career, though some majors are more closely allied to specific careers than others. There are people in most careers from a wide variety of majors. Cal State East Bay majors are described in the Programs of Study by Degree Type  section of this catalog, and career options are listed for each of them.

A Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree major often requires more units than a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree major. A Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) degree major requires more units than most B.S. or B.A. degree majors because it is so specialized.

You may declare your major either on your application when you apply to Cal State East Bay or after you enroll by filling out a “Change of Major” form available in the Student Enrollment and Information Center, 1st Floor, Student Services and Administration Building, online at the Student Records Forms website, or in the Student Services Center at the Concord Campus.

You may complete more than one major with permission. All majors earned will appear on the same diploma.


Master’s Degree Defined

The master’s degree is awarded for completion of a planned and integrated program of advanced study earned after completion of an undergraduate degree. It recognizes that a student has mastered a particular field sufficiently to pursue creative or applied projects in that field.  The minimum number of units for a Cal State East Bay master’s program is 30 semester units with a grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.00 scale), and various other requirements specified in Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations as well as requirements in this University Catalog.  It typically requires at least two years of full-time study (or longer if pursued part time) beyond the bachelor’s degree.  Master’s degrees are awarded in various disciplines as M.A. (master of arts), M.S. (master of science) or as discipline-specific degrees such as business (M.B.A), public administration (M.P.A.), or social work (M.S.W).

A master’s degree provides students with a mastery of a particular area of knowledge; an ability to relate that knowledge to knowledge in other disciplines; an ability to deal systematically with the concepts, theory, and principles in new situations; an ability to formulate and deal with problems on an advanced level; methodological, technical, and communication skills essential for advanced study; an ability to undertake independent investigation and research; abilities characteristic of professional performance; and attitudes conducive to continuous intellectual and professional development.

Every master’s degree program includes what is termed a capstone experience. This may include a thesis or its equivalent, a comprehensive examination, or project. Your completion of the capstone experience demonstrates that you have successfully integrated the various elements of the graduate learning experience and have gained an in-depth knowledge of your discipline.



A matriculated student is regularly enrolled after being admitted to the university.


Minor Defined

A minor is a coherent program in some field or group of related fields other than your major. Minors range in size from 24-48 quarter units, at least 12 of which must be upper division. No student is required to have a minor, so it will not appear on your record or diploma unless you declare it. The minimum grade point average for a minor is 2.00, so you must take at least one course on the A-F grading pattern. At least 50% of a minor or 12 units, whichever is less, must be taken at Cal State East Bay if you want the minor recognized on your diploma and/or permanent record.

Courses in a minor may be double-counted in G.E. However, at least 18 quarter units of a minor must not be double-counted in the discipline of the major for Cal State East Bay to recognize the minor.

If you wish to complete a minor, fill out a “Change of Major, Minor, Option” form available online at the Student Records Forms website.

You cannot get a minor in the same department as your major unless the disciplines are distinct (e.g., French and Spanish, Art History and Studio Art). A minor is recognized only when a baccalaureate degree is awarded.


Multiple Majors

You can pursue two or more majors simultaneously with permission, making sure they differ from each other by a minimum of 18 units.

The disadvantage of completing multiple majors while working on the same degree is that you have to delay graduation until you complete all requirements of all the majors. However, you are checked for completion of the G.E. requirements only once (and the only department excluded from G.E. is your first major, not any additional ones).

In the case of multiple degrees, it is possible for you to pursue additional degrees simultaneously or consecutively. If you complete a second baccalaureate simultaneously with your first baccalaureate, you will not need to take additional residency or General Education units beyond those required for the degree you indicate as your primary baccalaureate.

If you return to complete a second bachelor’s after graduating with your first bachelor’s from an institution accredited by a regional accrediting association, you are not required to complete any additional GE, graduation requirement, or Code courses. You will only be required to complete courses specifically required to complete your current major, and the University Writing Skills Requirement if you did not satisfy it with your first degree.

If you enroll at CSUEB to complete a second bachelor’s after graduating with your first bachelor’s from a non-CSU institution, you will have your GE and Code courses evaluated under the appropriate GE catalog and CSUEB GE pattern. In this situation, the 12 units of GE in residence are a requirement for your second baccalaureate. You will be held to the University Writing Skills Requirement.

You cannot get two degrees in the same field. For example, a B.A. with a major in Geology and a B.S. with a major in Geology, or a B.S. with a major in Business Administration (Option in Accounting) and a B.S. with a major in Business Administration (Option in Marketing) are not allowed. (Note: Although you cannot receive two B.S. degrees in Business Administration, you can receive a single B.S. degree in Business Administration with two options.)

Any options and minors completed within your degree will also be recorded on your diploma and permanent record if you request them.



Class Schedule, prepared each quarter, lists general information, courses offered, hours, rooms, instructor names, and final examination times. The online Class Schedule is available before enrollment begins in MyCSUEB each quarter. Important information such as the quarterly calendar, orientation, important dates, registration, fees, course selection, and student services contact information may be viewed at: www20.csueastbay.edu/students/.


Non-catalog Courses

Each quarter, Cal State East Bay offers a variety of new courses whose descriptions are not yet in the catalog. Such courses carry full credit and fulfill the same requirements as regular courses in the curriculum. Students, therefore, should not hesitate to take them. (Remedial courses, whose numbers begin with “0,” are not applicable to the baccalaureate degree, but are applicable to the student’s class load for that term.)

Descriptions of new, non-catalog courses appear in the Class Schedule each quarter. A new course may be passed by examination or challenged only after it has been listed in the Class Schedule and has been or is being taught.


On-ground Course

An entirely on-ground class is taught face-to-face, exclusively within the classroom; technically a sudent in such a class would not be required to have computer access.


Online Course

An entirely online class is taught exclusively in an online environment; access to a computer would be required for all students.  No on-campus meetings are required.


Open University

Most courses taught by regular Cal State East Bay faculty are available to students through Open University. To enroll in an Open University course, applicants must complete an online Open University application form each term they wish to attend.  The application deadline is the eighth instructional day of the term. Go to https://www.ce.csueastbay.edu/ce/programs/open-university/ to apply online and view application deadlines. Late applications will not be accepted. 


Option Defined

An “option” is a prescribed pathway through a major which allows for emphasis on a particular segment of the discipline (for example, the Accounting Option in the Business Administration Major and the Dance Option in the Theatre Arts Major). Not all majors have formal options. Some majors with formal options require you to select an option (e.g., Business Administration) whereas others do not (e.g., Political Science). In some majors, different options have different total unit requirements.

An option will appear on your diploma if you declare it prior to graduation. If you wish to complete more than one option and have the additional option(s) recorded, each must differ by at least three courses and nine units from any other option you complete.

Note: Beginning 2018 Cal State East Bay will be changing the term “option” to “concentration” to be more in line with other campuses of the CSU.  This new terminology for CSUEB will be used for the first time in the 2018-2019 Catalog.  The definition of “option” above will also apply to the new term “concentration.”


Prefixes (Course, Dept, College)

Click on this PDF link for course, department and college prefix definitions: APGS - Prefix Description   



A prerequisite may be another course or group of courses containing necessary background material for full understanding of the course content or a non-course requisite. Prerequisites, if any, are noted in course descriptions. Students must have completed the prerequisites listed in the course descriptions for any course they use to satisfy the requirements.  

Note: Prerequisite units may not be included in the total program units and therefore should be considered when planning your program roadmap.  Consult with your academic/faculty advisor or department for further information concerning prerequisites and program roadmaps.



Rape is a form of sexual misconduct and is non-consensual sexual intercourse that may also involve the use of threat of force, violence, or immediate and unlawful bodily injury or threats of future retaliation and duress. Any sexual penetration, however slight, is sufficient to constitute rape. Sexual acts including intercourse are considered non-consensual when a person is incapable of giving consent because s/he is incapacitated from alcohol and/or drugs, is under 18 years old, or if a mental disorder or developmental or physical disability renders the person incapable of giving consent. The respondent’s relationship to the person (such as family member, spouse, friend, acquaintance or stranger) is irrelevant.

Acquaintance rape is a form of sexual misconduct committed by an individual known to the victim. This includes a person the victim may have just met; i.e., at a party, introduced through a friend, or on a social networking website.

  • Also see Dating Violence Defined

Sexual Assault & Sexual Battery

Sexual assault is a form of sexual misconduct and is an attempt, coupled with the ability, to commit a violent injury on the person of another because of that person’s gender or sex.

Sexual battery is a form of sexual misconduct and is any willful and unlawful use of force or violence upon the person of another because of that person’s gender or sex as well as touching an intimate part of another person against that person’s will and for the purpose of sexual arousal, gratification or abuse.


Gender Discrimination

Gender discrimination means an adverse act taken against an individual because of gender or sex (including sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking) that is perpetrated against an individual on a basis prohibited by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, 20 U.S.C. §1681 et seq., and its implementing regulations, 34 C.F.R.  Part  106  (Title IX);  California  Education  Code  §66250  et  seq.,  and/or  California Government Code §11135.


Sexual Harassment

Sexual harassment, a form of sex discrimination, is unwelcome verbal, nonverbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature that includes, but is not limited to, sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and any other conduct of a sexual nature where:  

  • 1. Submission to, or rejection of, the conduct is explicitly or implicitly used as the basis for any decision affecting a Complainant’s academic status or progress, or access to benefits and services, honors, programs, or activities available at or through the University; or
  • 2. The conduct is sufficiently severe, persistent or pervasive that its effect, whether or not intended, could be considered by a reasonable person in the shoes of the Complainant, and is in fact considered by the Complainant, as limiting his or her ability to participate in or benefit from the services, activities or opportunities offered by the University; or
  • 3. The conduct is sufficiently severe, persistent or pervasive that its effect, whether or not intended, could be considered by a reasonable person in the shoes of the Complainant, and is in fact considered by the Complainant, as creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive environment.

Sexual Harassment could include being forced to engage in unwanted sexual contact as a condition of membership in a student organization; being subjected to video exploitation or a campaign of sexually explicit graffiti; or frequently being exposed to unwanted images of a sexual nature in a classroom that are unrelated to the coursework.

Sexual Harassment also includes acts of verbal, non-verbal or physical aggression, intimidation or hostility based on Gender or sex-stereotyping, even if those acts do not involve conduct of a sexual nature.

Executive Order 1097 covers unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature. While romantic, sexual, intimate, personal or social relationships between members of the University community may begin as consensual, they may evolve into situations that lead to Sexual Harassment or Sexual Misconduct, including Dating or Domestic Violence, or Stalking, subject to this policy.

Claiming that the conduct was not motivated by sexual desire is not a defense to a complaint of harassment based on Gender.


Sexual Misconduct

All sexual activity between members of the University community must be based on affirmative consent. Engaging in any sexual activity without first obtaining affirmative consent to the specific activity is sexual misconduct, whether or not the conduct violates any civil or criminal law. Sexual activity includes, but is not limited to, kissing, touching intimate body parts, fondling, intercourse, penetration of any body part, and oral sex. It also includes any unwelcome physical acts, such as unwelcome sexual touching, sexual assault, sexual battery, rape, and dating violence. When based on gender, domestic violence or stalking also constitutes sexual misconduct. Sexual misconduct may include using physical force, violence, threat or intimidation, ignoring the objections of the other person, causing the other person’s intoxication or incapacitation through the use of drugs or alcohol, or taking advantage of the other person’s incapacitation (including voluntary intoxication) to engage in sexual activity. Men as well as women can be victims of these forms of sexual misconduct. Sexual activity with a minor is never consensual when the complainant is under 18 years old, because the minor is considered incapable of giving consent.



Stalking means a repeated course of conduct directed at a specific person that would cause a reasonable person to fear for his/her or others’ safety or to suffer substantial emotional distress. For purposes of this definition:

  • Course of conduct means two or more acts, including but not limited to, acts in which the stalker directly, indirectly, or through third parties, by any action, method, device, or means, follows, monitors, observes, surveys, threatens, or communicates to or about a person, or interferes with a person’s property;
  • Reasonable person means a reasonable person under similar circumstances and with the same protected status as the complainant;
  • Substantial emotional distress means significant mental suffering or anguish that may, but does not necessarily, require medical or other professional treatment or counseling.

Undergraduate Classification Level

Undergraduate students are assigned a class level according to the following plan:

  Quarter Units Earned Toward the Degree
Lower Division:
Freshmen Fewer than 45
Sophomores 45 but fewer than 90
Upper Division:
Juniors 90 but fewer than 135
Seniors 135 or more
Graduating Seniors 150 or more, filed, and paid fee


All college courses at Cal State East Bay have unit values based on the number of 50-minute hours they meet each week. In most lecture, lecture-discussion, and seminar courses, each hour/week is a unit, but in laboratories, activities, and performances, students may put in two or more hours per week for each unit of credit. Because each classroom hour normally requires two hours of outside study per week, working students should carefully balance the time required for academic preparation with outside commitments. Courses meeting for more hours per week than their units have the amount of weekly class time noted in their course descriptions.



The word “withdrawal” refers to official termination of enrollment in a class after the Add/Drop period. Students can withdraw from a class only for serious health or personal problems beyond their control.