Jul 18, 2024  
2017-2018 CSU East Bay Catalog 
2017-2018 CSU East Bay Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Application & Admissions

Cal State East Bay welcomes students to apply to study at our university.

There are four steps to the application process for most prospective students:
  1. Applicants must submit an online CSU application for admission at www.calstate.edu/apply
  2. Applicants must submit all supplementary documents required such as transcripts and standardized test scores.
  3. Cal State East Bay will determine an applicant’s eligibility based on criteria discussed in this chapter.
  4. The University will notify the student of the decision.

Application Information

Importance of Filing Complete, Accurate, and Authentic Application Documents 

Use of Social Security Number

Undergraduate Application Procedures

Application Procedures for Cal State East Bay 

Application Filing Periods & Deadlines 

Late Application

Application Acknowledgement

Evaluation of Admission Eligibility

Appeal of Admission Decision

Hardship Petitions

Re-Routing an Application


General Admission Information 

The Office of Admission

Admission Procedures & Policies

Veteran’s Admission

Adult Students

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)

Waiver of Foreign Language Subject Requirement

Admission with Honors

Credit for Experience & Prior Learning

Impacted Programs

Determining Residency for Tuition

Nonresident Classification Appeal Process

Placement Exam Notification After Admission


Undergraduate Admission Information

Undergraduate Admission Requirements

Provisional Admission of First-time Freshman

Declaration of Objective

College Preparatory Subject Admission Requirements

Advanced Placement

Credit for Continuing Education & Correspondence School Work

Credit for Military Training and USAFI

Credit for Other Collegiate Work

Credit for Non-Collegiate Instruction


Transfer-Student Admission Information

Transfer Evaluation System (TES)

Transfer Policies of CSU Campuses

California Community Colleges - GE Certification

Credit for Accredited Community Colleges

Transfer Requirements

Transferable Units through the CSU International Program

Transfer Student Provisions

Conditional Admission for Transfer Students

Transfer Credit Assessment

International Admission Information

International Admissions Office

Center for International Education

International Admission Requirements

Application Filing Periods & Deadlines

First-time Freshman

Transfer Students from Outside the U.S.

Academic Records

Financial Certification

Other Non-U.S. Citizens

Application Information

Importance of Filing Complete, Accurate, and Authentic Application Documents

Cal State East Bay advises prospective students that they must supply complete and accurate information on the application for admission, residency questionnaire, and financial aid forms. Further, applicants must, when requested, submit authentic and official transcripts of all previous academic work attempted. Failure to file complete, accurate, and authentic application documents may result in denial of admission, cancellation of registration or academic credit, suspension, or expulsion (Section 41301, Article 1.1, Title 5, California Code of Regulations).


Use of Social Security Number

Applicants are required to include their correct social security numbers in designated places on applications for admission pursuant to the authority contained in Section 41201, Title 5, California Code of Regulations, and Section 6109 of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 6109). The University uses the social security number to identify students and their records including identification for purposes of financial aid eligibility and disbursement and the repayment of financial aid and other debts payable to the institution. Also, the Internal Revenue Service requires the University to file information returns that include the student’s social security number and other information such as the amount paid for qualified tuition, related expenses, and interest on educational loans. This information is used by the IRS to help determine whether a student, or a person claiming a student as a dependent, may take a credit or deduction to reduce federal income taxes.

If the student is a taxpayer who claims Hope Scholarship or Lifetime Learning tax credit, the student is required to provide Cal State East Bay with their name, address, and Taxpayer Identification Number.


Undergraduate Application Procedures

Prospective students applying for part-time or full-time undergraduate programs of study must submit a completed undergraduate application. The $55 nonrefundable application fee should be paid on-line at the time of application via credit card, e-check, or PayPal and may not be transferred or used to apply to another term. An alternate major may be indicated on the application. The applications of persons denied admission to an impacted campus may be re-routed to another campus at no cost, but only if the applicant is CSU eligible.


Application Procedures for Cal State East Bay

All students

In addition to the above procedures, the following governs admission to both the Hayward Hills and Concord campuses.  All categories must complete an undergraduate admission application that can be found at www.calstate.edu/apply:

  • High school graduates.
  • Community college transfer students.
  • Cal State East Bay students who have not been enrolled for three consecutive terms.
  • Students who have a degree from a college or university and want a second baccalaureate degree if applying to an eligible program.
  • Students who have been enrolled in Continuing Education Special Sessions Programs and Open University.
  • Students who have attended Cal State East Bay as visiting students from another university.
  • Students who want to audit classes. Students must complete the “Request for Audit Grade” form available from the Cal State East Bay SEIC - (SAS,SAS) Student Enrollment Information Center  on the first floor of the Student Services and Administration Building on the Hayward Hills campus.
  • Students who were previously admitted to Cal State East Bay for a particular term but did not enroll.

An applicant must complete all required information, including the Social Security number (see: Use of Social Security Number section above). Be certain to accurately enter all requested academic information as any misrepresentation could result in an offer of admission being rescinded.  Applicants must also submit all required items indicated on the student’s MyCSUEB To Do List found in the student center at https://my.csueastbay.edu by the deadline provided.  An applicant who wants to pursue a major in nursing should see the Nursing, Pre-Licensure Option, B.S.  chapter for special admission requirements.  The bachelor’s degree in Music requires students to audition in order to determine admission. For more information regarding majoring in Music, see the Music, B.A.  chapter for special admissions requirement.

If a student is uncertain whether they are required to apply, they can contact the Office of Admission at (510) 885-3500 or learn more about rules and restrictions at www.csueastbay.edu/admission.

Note: They are subject to change without prior notice if necessary so that university policies are consistent with those established by the Trustees of The California State University. It is important for students to take time to read this catalog and become familiar with the specific policies and procedures of Cal State East Bay and the CSU system. This will help the student to understand their rights and responsibilities, as well as the rights and responsibilities of the university.


Application Filing Periods & Deadlines

Application deadlines are dates by which you must submit your application to Cal State Apply. Published deadlines are subject to change. Apply early since enrollment may be limited for some programs.  Application filing periods are also listed at www.csueastbay.edu/prospective/how-to-apply/application-and-document-deadlines


(Not all campuses/programs are open for admission to every term.)

Terms Applications First Accepted Initial Filing Period Filing Period Duration

Summer Semester or Quarter

(Some campuses do not admit students to summer term.)

February 1 February 1-28 of current year

Each non-impacted campus accepts applications until capacities are reached. Many campuses limit undergraduate admission in an enrollment category due to overall enrollment limits. If applying after the initial filing period, consult the campus
admission office at (510) 885-3500 for current
information.  Similar information is conveniently
available at: CALSTATE Apply

Fall Semester or Quarter October 1 October 1 - November 30 of previous year
Winter Quarter June 1 June 1-30 of previous year
Spring Semester or Quarter August 1 August 1-31 of previous year
Application deadlines are the dates by which you must submit your application to www.calstate.edu/apply. Published deadlines are subject to change.

Some graduate programs may have earlier application deadlines and/or may not accept applications every quarter. Check with the department for complete details.

Be sure to review the deadlines for:

Please Note: application deadlines for the following populations are different from the undergraduate application deadlines listed above:

Some academic and support service programs have supplemental application forms with specific deadlines. Check with the department for complete details.

  • Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)
  • Nursing B.S.
  • Graduate degree programs

Late Application

Late applications are strongly discouraged unless the applicant can demonstrate extenuating circumstances beyond their control for not submitting the application during the initial filing period AND that the University still has the capacity to accept more students.


Application Acknowledgement

On-time applicants (applicants who applied within the intital finling period) may expect to receive an acknowledgment from the campuses to which they have applied within two to four weeks of filing the application. The notice may also include a request that applicants submit additional records necessary to evaluate academic qualifications. Applicants may be assured of admission if the evaluation of relevant qualifications indicates that applicants meet CSU admission requirements, and in the case of admission impaction, supplemental criteria for admission to an impacted program. Unless specific written approval/confirmation is received, an offer of admission is not transferable to another term or to another campus.

After Cal State East Bay’s Admission Office has received all necessary documents and completed its review, the applicants will be notified of their admission and residency status.

Note: The University reserves the right, however, to select its students and to deny admission to the University, or to any of its programs, based upon the University’s determination, at its sole discretion, of an applicant’s suitability and the best interests of the University.


Evaluation of Admission Eligibility

After an applicant receives an acknowledgment from Cal State East Bay that their application has been received, they will be requested to submit required documents (i.e. official transcripts, test scores, etc.), if they have not previously done so. It is the applicant’s responsibility to see that all official transcripts are sent directly to the Office of Admission from each previous institution attended by the deadline specified on the student’s MyCSUEB To Do List. Neither evaluation of transcripts and test scores nor determination of eligibility is possible until all required documents have been received.

First-time freshmen must submit official transcripts of high school work (grades 9-12). Scores from the ACT or SAT examinations are required.  Although first-time freshmen whose high school grade point average is at least 3.00 (3.61 for nonresidents) will have the test score requirement waived, it is encouraged that all students should submit ACT/SAT scores for English and math placement review. If an applicant is still in high school, they must submit transcripts of work as instructed and a final transcript after graduation. . It is important to note that high school grade point average calculation will include only those grades earned in approved college preparatory courses taken during the 10th, 11th, and 12th grades.

Undergraduate transfer, graduate, or post-baccalaureate applicants must submit an official transcript from each college or university previously attended by the deadline specified on the student’s MyCSUEB To Do List, regardless of length of attendance, and even if no work was completed.

Transfer students with fewer than 90 transferable quarter units (60 semester units) will be denied as Cal State East Bay does not accept lower division transfer applications.  In the rare instances where an exception is granted for an applicant to be reviewed as lower division transfer, the applicant must submit official high school transcript showing courses and grades earned during high school (grades 9-12), as well as scores from the ACT or SAT examinations. If the applicant’s high school grade point average is at least 3.00 (3.61 for nonresidents) the test score requirement will be waived. Lower division applicants must meet first-time freshman admission requirements in addition to holding at least a C average in all transfer college work. International students or non-U.S. citizens may be required to submit additional records. See International Admission in this chapter.

Note: The University has the obligation to determine whether a transcript will be accepted as official. All transcripts and records submitted for admission or readmission become the property of the University. Students may access their academic records according to policies and procedures established by the campus. Applicants must submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities they have attended so their entire academic experience can be evaluated. Failure to do so will be grounds for denial of admission, readmission or  dismissal from the University.


Appeal of Admission Decision

Section 89030.7 of the California Education Code requires that the California State University establishes specific requirements for appeal procedures for a denial of admission. Each CSU campus must publish appeal procedures for applicants denied admis­sion to the University. The procedure is limited to addressing campus decisions to deny an applicant admission to the University.

Admissions appeal procedures must address the basis for appeals, provide 15 business days for an applicant to submit an appeal, stipulate a maximum of one appeal per academic term, provide specific contact information for the individual or office to which the appeal should be submitted, and indicate a time estimate for when the campus expects to respond to an appeal. The appeal procedures must be included in all denial of admission notifications to students, and must also be published on the campus website.

If the applicant does not meet published admission eligibility standards, the student may petition via Admissions Appeals Procedures for reconsideration. There is a limit on the number of exceptions to published admission criteria for which the campus may grant an exception. The Committee, therefore, considers a number of factors, normally favoring applicants who are close to qualifying and who are upper division students. Instructions for submitting an appeal are provided to eligible denied students.
If the applicant comes from a disadvantaged background or is a veteran, they may be considered under special criteria in addition to that stated above.


Hardship Petitions

The campus has established procedures for consideration of qualified applicants who would be faced with extreme hardship if not admitted. Petitioners should submit an appeal form at http:www.csueastbay.edu/admissionpetitions regarding specific policies governing hardship admission. 

For more information contact the Office of Admission at 510.885.3500 or admissionpetitions@csueastbay.edu


Re-Routing an Application

If for some reason an applicant cannot be accommodated at Cal State East Bay, their application will be redirected to their second choice CSU campus unless they are seeking admission to a system-wide impacted program or the alternate campus has reached its capacity in the applicant’s chosen program of study.


General Admission Information 

General Admission

Requirements for admission to Cal State East Bay are in accordance with Title 5, Chapter 1, Subchapter 3, of the California Code of Regulations. Complete information is available at: www.calstate.edu/apply

Electronic versions of the CSU applications for admission are accessible at www.calstate.edu/apply. The Cal State Apply system allows students to browse through general information about CSU’s 23 campuses, view multimedia campus presentations, send and receive electronic responses to specific questions, and apply for admission and financial aid.

Applying online via www.calstate.edu/apply is expected unless electronic submission is impossible. An acknowledgement will be sent when an online application has been submitted. Application in “hard copy” form may be obtained online via www.calstate.edu/apply as a portable data format (PDF). Application forms (in PDF) may also be downloaded from www.calstate.edu/sas/publications. (Paper applications should be mailed to the campus admission office.)  To discuss a personal situation preventing electronic application submission, contact the Office of Admission at (510) 885-3500.


Veteran’s Admission

Veterans who meet the admission requirements may attend under full veterans’ benefits. Information concerning veterans’ programs is outlined at www.csueastbay.edu/veterans.
First-time freshmen and lower division applicants who are California resident veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces, but who do not meet regular entrance requirements may be considered for undergraduate admission if, in the university’s judgment, the veteran has the potential to perform satisfactorily at the collegiate level. To be considered under this provision, veterans must have served 181 days active duty since 1955 with a discharge or separation under conditions other than dishonorable.
If an applicant wishes to be considered under this provision, the application for admission must include supporting documents, including separation papers (DD 214), and a letter petitioning special consideration. Transcripts and test scores are also required.


Adult Students

As an alternative to regular admission criteria, an applicant who is 25 years of age or older may be considered for admission as an adult student if he or she meets all of the following conditions:

  • Possesses a high school diploma (or has established equivalence through either the General Educational Development or California High School Proficiency Examinations)
  • Has not been enrolled in college as a full-time student for more than one term during the past five years
  • If there has been any college attendance in the last five years, has earned a C average or better in all college work attempted

Consideration will be based upon a judgment as to whether the applicant is as likely to succeed as a regularly admitted freshman or transfer student and will include an assessment of basic skills in the English language and mathematical computation.

If an applicant is seeking enrollment as an adult student, they must submit a statement to the Office of Admission outlining the factors and experiences which the student believes indicates their probable academic success.


The Office of Admission

The Office of Admission is responsible for all domestic admission services for new students. International students on F or J visas (and applicants with transcripts issued by schools outside the United States) are served by the International Admissions Office.

All applicants should use the student online self-service portal MyCSUEB at https://my.csueastbay.edu to check admission status and required documents.


Provisional (Conditional) Admission of First-time Freshman

Cal State East Bay may provisionally admit first-time freshman applicants based on their academic preparation through the junior year of high school and planned coursework for the senior year. The campus will monitor the final terms of study to ensure that admitted students complete their secondary school studies satisfactorily, including the required college preparatory subjects, and graduate from high school. Students are required to submit an official transcript after graduation to certify that all course work has been satisfactorily completed. Official high school transcripts must be received prior to deadline set by the University. In no case may documentation of high school graduation be received any later than the census date for a student’s first term of CSU enrollment. Note: A campus may rescind admission decisions, cancel financial aid awards, withdraw housing contracts and cancel any University registration for students who are found to be ineligible after the final transcript has been evaluated.

Applicants will qualify for regular (non-provisional) admission when the University verifies that they have graduated and received a diploma from high school, have a qualifiable minimum eligibility index, have completed the comprehensive pattern of college preparatory “a-g” subjects, and, if applying to an impacted program or campus, have met all supplementary criteria.

The CSU uses only the ACT composite score or the mathematics and critical reading scores on the old SAT, or mathematics and Evidence-Based Reading and Writing scores on the new SAT in its admission eligibility equation. The SAT or ACT writing scores are not currently used by CSU campuses.

Subject requirements - The California State University requires that first-time freshman applicants complete, with grades of C or better, a comprehensive pattern of college preparatory study totaling 15 units. A “unit” is one year of study in high school.

  • 2 years of social science, including 1 year of U.S. history, or U.S. history and government
  • 4 years of English
  • 3 years of math (algebra, geometry and intermediate algebra)
  • 2 years of laboratory science (l biological & 1 physical, both must have laboratory instruction)
  • 2 years in the same foreign language (subject to waiver for applicants demonstrating equivalent competence)
  • 1 year of visual and performing arts: art, dance, drama/theater, or music
  • 1 year of electives: selected from English, advanced mathematics, social science, history, laboratory science, foreign language, visual and performing arts or other courses approved and included on the UC/CSU “a-g” list
The California Promise

The California Promise Program enables a specific number of campuses of the California State University (CSU) to establish pledge programs for entering first-time students who are both interested and able to complete baccalaureate degrees in 4-years. All campuses have established programs for students with Associate Degrees for Transfer from any California Community College to complete their baccalaureate degrees in 2-years. The program is limited to students who are residents of California.

Students who commit to enter either the 4-year or 2-year pledge will be given a priority registration appointment for each state-supported enrollment period and will be provided with routine and thorough academic advisement. In order to remain in the program, students must meet with their advisors as prescribed, develop an enrollment plan, and complete 30 semester units of quarter equivalent within each academic year, including summer. Participating campuses may stipulate other important requirements as well. Interested students entering the CSU in the fall 2017 term should contact the campus offices or visit www.calstate.edu/sas/california-promise.


Credit for Experience and Prior Learning

No unit credit is allowed toward the bachelor’s or master’s degrees for practical experience at Cal State East Bay.  An exemption allowed for experience will not carry units of advanced standing or diminish the number of units required for graduation.


Impacted Programs

The CSU designates programs as impacted when more applications from regularly eligible applicants are received in the initial filing period (October and November for fall terms, June for winter terms, August for spring terms, February for summer terms) than can be accommodated. Some programs are impacted at every campus that they are offered; others are impacted only at a few campuses. Candidates for admission must meet all of the campus’ specified supplementary admission criteria if applying to an impacted program or campus.

The CSU will announce during the fall filing period those campuses or programs that are impacted. Detailed information on campus and program impaction will be available at the following websites:


Campuses will communicate supplementary admission criteria for all impacted programs to high schools and community colleges in their service area and will disseminate this information to the public through appropriate media. This information will also be published at the CSU campus individual website and made available online at www.calstate.edu.

Applicants must file applications for admission to an impacted program during the initial filing period. Applicants who wish to be considered in impacted programs at more than one campus should file an application at each campus for which they seek admission consideration.


Determining Residency For Tuition

Image of the California State Flag

University requirements for establishing residency for tuition purposes are independent from those of other types of residency, such as for tax purposes, or other state or institutional residency. These regulations were promulgated not to determine whether a student is a resident or nonresident of California, but rather to determine whether a student should pay University fees on an in-state or out-of- state basis. A resident for tuition purposes is someone who meets the requirements set forth in the Uniform Student Residency Requirements. These laws governing residency for tuition purposes at the California State University are California Education Code sections 68000-68085, 68120-68133, and 89705-89707.5, and California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Subchapter 5, Article 4, sections 41900- 41916. This material can be viewed on the Internet by accessing the California State University’s website at www.calstate.edu/GC/resources.shtml.

Each campus’s Admissions Office is responsible for determining the residency status of all new and returning students based on the Application for Admission, Residency Questionnaire, Reclassification Request Form, and, as necessary, other evidence furnished by the student. A student who fails to submit adequate information to establish eligibility for resident classification will be classified as a nonresident.

Generally, establishing California residency for tuition purposes requires a combination of physical presence and intent to remain indefinitely. An adult who, at least 366 days prior to the residency determination date for the term in which enrollment is contemplated, can demonstrate both physical presence in the state combined with evidence of intent to remain in California indefinitely may establish California residency for tuition purposes. A minor normally derives residency from the parent(s) they reside with or most recently resided with.

Evidence demonstrating intent may vary from case to case but will include, and is not limited to, the absence of residential ties to any other state, California voter registration and voting in California elections, maintaining California vehicle registration and driver’s license, maintaining active California bank accounts, filing California income tax returns and listing a California address on federal tax returns, owning residential property or occupying or renting a residence where permanent belongings are kept, maintaining active memberships in California professional or social organizations, and maintaining a permanent military address and home of record in California.

Nonresident students seeking reclassification are required to complete a supplemental questionnaire that includes questions concerning their financial independence. Financial independence is required, in addition to physical presence and intent, to be eligible for reclassification. Financial independence is established if in the calendar year the reclassification application is made and in any of the three calendar years preceding the reclassification application the student:

  • has not and will not be claimed as an exemption for state and federal tax purposes by his/her parent;
  • has not and will not receive more than seven hundred and fifty dollars ($750) per year in financial assistance from his/her parent; and
  • has not lived and will not live longer than six (6) weeks in the home of his/her parent.

Note: A nonresident student who has been appointed as a graduate student teaching assistant, a graduate student research assistant, or a graduate student teaching associate on any CSU campus and is employed on a 0.49 or more time basis is exempt from the financial independence requirement.

Non-citizens establish residency in the same manner as citizens, unless precluded by the Immigration and Nationality Act from establishing domicile in the United States.

Exceptions to the general residency requirements are contained in California Education Code sections 68070-68085 and California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Subchapter 5, Article 4, sections 41906- 41906.6, 41910 and include, but are not limited to, members of the military and their dependents, certain credentialed employees of school districts and most students who have attended three or more years of high school (grades 9-12) in California or attained credits earned in California from a California high school equivalent to three or more years of full-time high school coursework and a total of three or more years of attendance in California elementary schools, California secondary schools, or a combination of those schools, and graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent of graduation. Whether an exception applies to a particular student can only be determined after the submission of an application for admission and, as necessary, additional supporting documentation. Because neither campus nor Chancellor’s Office staff may give advice on the application of these laws, applicants are strongly urged to review the material for themselves and consult with a legal advisor.

Note: Students classified as nonresidents may appeal a final campus decision within 120 days of notification by the campus. A campus residency classification appeal must be in writing and submitted.

Residency determination dates are set each term. They are:
Fall September 20 Fall September 20
Winter January 5 Winter * January 5
Spring April 1 Spring January 25
Summer July 1 Summer June 1
*Applies only to winter term at CSU Stanislaus

CalState TEACH operates on a trimester system. The residency determination dates for CalState TEACH are as follows:

Fall - September 20
Spring - January 5
Summer - June 1


Nonresident Classification Appeal Process

The CSU seal - click for the General Counsel websiteStudents classified as nonresidents may appeal a final campus decision within 120 days* of notification by the campus. A campus residency classification appeal must be in writing and submitted to:

The California State University*
Office of General Counsel
401 Golden Shore, 4th Floor
Long Beach, CA 90802-4210

The Office of General Counsel can either decide the appeal or send the matter back to the campus for further review. Students incorrectly classified as residents or incorrectly granted an exception from nonresident tuition are subject to reclassification as nonresidents and payment of nonresident tuition in arrears. If incorrect classification results from false or concealed facts, the student is also subject to discipline pursuant to Section 41301 of Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations.

Resident students who become nonresidents or who no longer meet the criteria for an exception must immediately notify the Admissions Office. Changes may have been made in the rate of nonresident tuition and in the statutes and regulations governing residency for tuition purposes in California between the time this information is published and the relevant residency determination date. Students are urged to review the statutes and regulations stated above.

*Note: A proposal to change the contact information and notification period at the CSU Office of General Counsel is pending and will be available after March 2017.


Placement Exam Notification After Admission

After admission, each undergraduate student is sent a packet which indicates that taking the EPT and ELM exams are requirements which should be fulfilled at the next offering of the test. If you fail to take the EPT and/or the ELM tests before your first term of enrollment, a hold will be placed on your registration until you do take the test(s).


Programs Leading to Licensure & Credentialing

Admission into programs leading to licensure and credentialing does not guarantee that students will obtain a license or credential. Licensure and credentialing requirements are set by agencies that are not controlled by or affiliated with the CSU and requirements can change at any time. For example, licensure or credentialing requirements can include evidence of the right to work in the United States (e.g., social security number or tax payer identification number) or successfully passing a criminal background check.  Students are responsible for determining whether they can meet licensure or credentialing requirements. The CSU will not refund tuition, fees, or any associated costs, to students who determine subsequent to admission that they cannot meet licensure or credentialing requirements.  Information concerning licensure and credentialing requirements are available from.  More information at Cal State East Bay may be obtained through the Office of University Diversity.

Note: Students in Biological Science, Educational Psychology, Engineering, Kinesiology, Nursing, and Teacher Education, in particular should be aware of these provisions.


Undergraduate Admission Information

Undergraduate Admission Requirements

Freshman Requirements

Generally, applicants will qualify for consideration for first-time freshman admission if they meet the following requirements:

  • Have graduated from high school, have earned a Certificate of General Education Development (GED) or have passed the California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE);
  • Have a qualifiable minimum eligibility index (see section on Eligibility Index); and
  • Have completed with grades of C or better each of the courses in the comprehensive pattern of college preparatory subject requirements also known as the “a-g” pattern (see: College Preparatory Subject Admission Requirements).
Eligibility Index

The eligibility index is the combination of the high school grade point average and scores on either the ACT or the SAT. Grade point averages (GPA) are based on grades earned in courses taken during the final three years of high school. Included in calculation of GPA are grades earned in all college preparatory “a-g” subject requirements, and bonus points for approved honors courses. Up to eight semesters of honors courses taken in the last three years of high school, including up to two approved courses taken in the tenth grade can be accepted. Each unit of A in an honors course will receive a total of 5 points; B, 4 points; and C, 3 points.

A CSU Eligibility Index (EI) can be calculated by multiplying a grade point average by 800 and adding your total score on the SAT exam (mathematics and critical reading on the old SAT, or mathematics and Evidence-Based Reading and Writing on the new SAT). For students who took the ACT, multiply the grade point average by 200 and add ten times the ACT composite score. Persons who are California high school graduates (or residents of California for tuition purposes) need a minimum index of 2900 using the SAT or 694 using the ACT. The Eligibility Index Table illustrates several combinations of required test scores and averages. The university has no current plans to include the writing scores from either of the admissions tests in the computation of the CSU Eligibility Index.  Note: The minimum Eligibility Index requirement for admission to the Fall 2018 term will increase to 2950 using the SAT.

Persons who neither graduated from a California high school nor are a resident of California for tuition purposes, need a minimum index of 3502 (SAT) or 842 (ACT). Note: The minimum Eligibility Index requirement for admission to the Fall 2018 term will increase to 3570 using the SAT.

Graduates of secondary schools in foreign countries must be judged to have academic preparation and abilities equivalent to applicants eligible under this section. An applicant with a grade point average of 3.00 or above (3.61 for nonresidents) is not required to submit test scores. However, all applicants for admission are urged to take the SAT or ACT and provide the scores of such tests to each CSU to which they seek admission. Campuses use these test results for advising and placement purposes and may require them for admission to impacted majors or programs. Impacted CSU campuses require SAT or ACT scores of all applicants for freshman admission.

ACT & SAT Eligibility Index Tables (2017/18)  


Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)

Established in 1969, the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) provides admission and retention support services to low-income and educationally disadvantaged California residents who demonstrate the motivation and potential to succeed in college. EOP identifies and admits students who have the potential to succeed at California State University campuses, but who have not achieved their educational goals because of economic and/or educational background. EOP provides students with the resources, tools and skills to ensure academic and personal success through a variety of academic support services. These services provided by EOP include recruitment, preadmission counseling, special admissions, a Summer Bridge program (for entering EOP freshmen), specialized orientation sessions, academic advisement, personal counseling, skill-enhancement workshops, career guidance, peer advising, support groups, social/cultural activities, referral services, and EOP grants for eligible students.

EOP accepts students who qualify for regular admission, as well as a limited number of students who do not meet regular admission criteria. Only low-income and educationally disadvantaged undergraduate students who need admission assistance and/or support services to succeed at Cal State East Bay are admitted to EOP. Additionally, students must be first generation, California residents or AB 540, and meet the income eligibility criteria.  They must also demonstrate academic potential and motivation to succeed.

To apply for admission to the program, prospective students must complete the online Cal State Apply application for Undergraduate Admission and check the appropriate box for EOP services. Once the CSUEB application is submitted (online), EOP applicants will receive an online EOP link and have access to complete the EOP Applicant Information Form and two EOP recommendation forms. Students must have all three documents submitted in order for their EOP application to be complete.

Flash Note: CSUMentor will be changing to Calstate.edu/Apply beginning June 1, 2017.

EOP is a high-demand program which only accepts applications for Fall term from applicants new to the CSU system. Currently enrolled and/or previously enrolled students (not formerly in an EOP CSU program) are not eligible to apply. Applicants who submit all required documents will be reviewed and if selected, will be admitted to EOP. All EOP freshmen receiving exception admission are required to attend the EOP Summer Bridge program as a condition of their admission for Fall term.

For assistance or for further information about EOP, please visit the EOP Office at the Library Complex (LI), Room 2500, or online at www.csueastbay.edu/eop. Prospective applicants can also email us at eopadmissions@csueastbay.edu or call 510-885-4683.


Admission with Honors

Students who were admitted to the university and have a minimum of 3.60 GPA should look into applying for the University Honors Program.  Students in the program and are in good standing gain early registration for classes among other benefits.  More information about the University Honors Program, including requirements for entrance into the program, is located at www.csueastbay.edu/honors.

Honors Courses

Grades earned in up to eight semester courses designated as honors courses in approved subjects (taken in the last two years of high school), receive additional points in grade point average calculations. Each unit of “A” in approved courses will receive a total of 5 points; “B,” 4 points; “C,” 3 points; “D,” 1 point; and none for “F” grades. (Up to two 11th grade IB, AP, or honors courses with 11th or 12th grade course content taken in 10th grade may also receive bonus points.)


Declaration of Objective

When a student applies for undergraduate admission they may state an objective (major and degree) to be pursued. The applicant may also be admitted as an “Undeclared Student.” In addition, once the student has been enrolled at the university, faculty and staff of the Academic Advising and Career Education Center are available to assist the student in selecting a major and degree program. The responsibility for meeting the specific requirements of a program or major rests with the student, but the advisor or the department chair of their selected major will help the student determine the courses remaining for completion of major requirements. AACE - (O&A,A) Academic Advising and Career Education (AACE)  may also assist the student in determining General Education requirements.


Waiver of Foreign Language Subject Requirement

If an applicant can demonstrate competency in a language other than English that is equivalent to or higher than that expected of students who have completed two years of language other than English study, the applicant may be allowed a waiver of this language requirement. Applicants should consult their high school counselor, or the Office of Admission for more information.


College Preparatory Subject Admission Requirements

The California State University requires that first-time freshman applicants complete, with grades of C or better, a comprehensive pattern of college preparatory study totaling 15 units. A “unit” is one year of study in high school.

  • 2 years of social science, including 1 year of U.S. history, or U.S. history and government;
  • 4 years of English;
  • 3 years of math (algebra, geometry and intermediate algebra);
  • 2 years of laboratory science (1 biological & 1 physical, both must have laboratory instruction);
  • 2 years in the same foreign language;
  • 1 year of visual and performing arts in the same discipline: art, dance, drama/theater, or music;
  • 1 year of electives: selected from English, advanced mathematics, social science, history, laboratory science, foreign language, visual and performing arts or other courses approved and included on the UC/CSU “A to G” list.

Advanced Placement

Cal State East Bay grants credit toward its undergraduate degrees for successful completion of examinations of the Advanced Placement Program of the College Board. Students who present scores of three or better will be granted up to six semester units (nine quarter units) of college credit. (See Requirements, Exams & Testing  and Registration & Enrollment  chapters for additional information.)



Credit for Continuing Education and Correspondence School Work

Students may count a maximum of 36 quarter (24 semester) units of extension credit and correspondence school work toward a baccalaureate degree at Cal State East Bay. Any such units not earned at Cal State East Bay must be earned in courses deemed acceptable for Cal State East Bay degrees and course units must come from accredited institutions that accept the units toward their own degrees.

No extension or correspondence school credit may be applied toward the residency requirement for undergraduates or graduates. Courses taken in Cal State East Bay Special Sessions programs may be applied toward residency. All transferable extension and correspondence work will be used for determination of the undergraduate grade point average.


Credit for Military Training, Occupation, and Courses

Cal State East Bay grants nine units of elective credit toward a baccalaureate degree for a student who completed basic training and was honorably discharged from military service of the United States in accordance with the recommendation of the American Council on Education.

Note: Credit is not given for completion of the six month reserve training programs.

Commissioned officers may receive an additional nine units, which may be considered upper division credit. In order to receive such credit applicants must present written certification from a recognized military authority, such as papers from a military separation center (service form DD-214 or DD-295) or a Joint Services Transcript (JST). Credit for specific courses may be allowed if the student has satisfactorily completed equivalent study in a military service school. The guidelines of the American Council on Education are followed in determining eligibility.

Cal State East Bay is a Service member Opportunity College (SOC).


Credit for Other Collegiate Work

If students wish credit for work taken at another institution while in continuing student status at Cal State East Bay, they must, upon completing the work, have an official transcript sent to the Office of the Registrar.


Credit for Non-Collegiate Instruction

Cal State East Bay grants undergraduate degree credit for successful completion of non-collegiate instruction, either military or civilian, appropriate to the baccalaureate degree, which has been recommended by the Commission on Educational Credit and Credentials of the American Council on Education. The numbers of units allowed are those recommended in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Services and the National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs.

Note: Lower division, occupational courses designed to train technicians are not acceptable for university credit. Credit granted for non-collegiate instruction is not generally applied to general education or major requirements.


Transfer-Student Admission Information

Transfer Evaluation System (TES)

TES, which is similar to ASSIST, hosts multiple agreements that have been established for private and out-of-state institutions. Visit TES.CollegeSource.com


Transfer Policies of CSU Campuses

Most commonly, college level credits earned from an institution of higher education accredited by a regional accrediting agency are accepted for transfer to campuses of the CSU; however, authority for decisions regarding the transfer of undergraduate credits is delegated to each CSU campus.

California Community Colleges

California Community Colleges and other authorized certifying institutions can certify up to 39 semester (58.5 quarter) units of General Education-Breadth (GE-Breadth) or 37 semester (55.5 quarter) units of the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) for transfer students to fulfill lower-division general education requirements for any CSU campus prior to transfer.

“Certification” is the official notification from a California Community College or authorized institution that a transfer student has completed courses fulfilling lower-division general education requirements. The CSU GE-Breadth and the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) certification course lists for particular community colleges can be accessed at www.assist.org.

CSU campuses may enter into course-to-course or program-to-program articulation agreements with other CSU campuses and any or all of the California community colleges, and other regionally accredited institutions. Established CSU and CCC articulations may be found on www.assist.org. Students may be permitted to transfer no more than 70 semester (105 quarter) units to a CSU campus from an institution which does not offer bachelor’s degrees or their equivalents, for example, community colleges. Given the university’s 30-semester (45-quarter) unit residency requirement, no more than a total of 90-semester (135-quarter) units may be transferred into the university from all sources.


California Community Colleges GE Certification

Under Chancellor’s Executive Order No. 1033, up to 60 quarter (40 semester) units of the CSU General Education-Breadth Requirements may be certified by California Community Colleges and other CSU campuses. Certification is not automatic for the A.A. in University Studies programs.

Note: Even though your certification from a California Community College (CSU G.E. pattern for CSU Intersegmental General Education Transfer Education Transfer Curriculum-IGETC) or another CSU campus may show more than the maximum number of certifiable units, you must still complete a minimum of 12 upper division residence G.E. units at Cal State East Bay.

For example, if your catalog rights for graduation are governed by this catalog, you must complete the following:
  • Area B6, an upper division Science (life or physical science) course of at least 4 units selected from the Area B6 list;
  • Area C4, an upper division Humanities course of at least 4 units selected from the Area C4 literature/history/philosophy list;
  • Area D4, an upper division Social Science course of at least 4 units selected from the Area D4 list;
  • Lifelong Understanding G.E. requirement may be satisfied with a certified Lifelong Understanding transfer course from a California Community College. If you do not transfer with this requirement fulfilled, you may satisfy it with a lower- or upper-division course selected from the Area F list, Performing Arts/Activities, or by a transfer course(s) that meets the CSUEB criteria.
  • The Cultural Groups/Women General requirement may be satisfied simultaneously with one of the above lower or upper division Area G.E. requirements, or as a separate course selected from Cal State East Bay’s Cultural Groups/Women list. This requirement can also be satisfied by a lower division G.E. transfer course that meets the CSUEB criteria; and
  • The second composition requirement for transfer students, is satisfied with ENGL 1002  (College Writing II), or an equivalent transfer course. If the course you are using to clear Area A3, Critical Thinking, is on the IGETC Critical Thinking list, this same course can be used to clear your second composition requirement.

If your catalog rights for graduation fall under an earlier catalog, see: www.csueastbay.edu/ge/transfer.htm to identify requirements for that catalog.

You must complete at least 45 quarter (30 semester) units of G.E. including G.E. Areas A (Communication in the English Language) and B4 (Quantitative Reasoning) before transferring as a junior.


Credit for Accredited Community College Courses

Cal State East Bay and California Community Colleges have articulation agreements regarding course equivalencies. If you are planning to transfer to Cal State East Bay you should consult with your community college counselors as to whether or not particular courses meet CSU specific requirements. AACE academic advisors, located on the second floor of the Stduent Services and Administration Building, are available to discuss and explain your transfer evaluation or the degree audit you will receive from the Office of the Registrar. An official evaluation or an update of a prior evaluation is available by appointment. (See the Student Services  chapter in this catalog for additional information on AACE.)

Credits earned in accredited community colleges will be evaluated by the Office of Admission in accordance with the following provisions:

  1. Not more than 105 quarter (70 semester) units of credit may be allowed for community college work; community college credit earned after the student has earned 105 quarter units at one or more community colleges will be used for determining grade point averages and may be used to satisfy subject requirements, but may not be applied toward the total units required for the bachelor’s degree.
  2. No credit may be allowed for professional courses in education taken in a community college, other than an introduction to education course.
  3. Certification of part or all of the lower division General Education-Breadth Requirements completed may be submitted by the California community college from which the student is transferring. Students should request a General Education (G.E.) certification at the time they request a transcript to be sent to Cal State East Bay. Twelve upper division G.E. units must be completed at Cal State East Bay.
  4. Certification of the completion of the Cal State East Bay requirements in U.S. History and Institutions will also be accepted from your community college.
  5. Credit from institutions not regionally accredited will not be used in determining admission eligibility, nor will it normally be used to meet graduation requirements. However, after completing 30 quarter units in residence, you may petition the Office of the Registrar to have such units accepted for baccalaureate credit. Course content, the quality of performance, the nature of the institution, and the appropriateness of the courses to the Cal State East Bay curriculum will be considered in evaluating any petition.

Transfer Requirements

Applicants who have completed fewer than 60 transferable semester college units (fewer than 90 quarter units) are considered lower-division transfer students. Applicants who have completed 60 or more transferable semester college units (90 or more quarter units) are considered upper-division transfer students. Applicants who complete college units during high school or through the summer immediately following high school graduation are considered first-time freshmen and must meet the CSU minimum eligibility requirements for first-time freshman admission. Transferable courses are those designated for baccalaureate credit by the college or university offering the courses and accepted as such by the campus to which the applicant seeks admission.

Lower-Division Transfer Requirements

Generally, applicants will qualify for CSU admission consideration as a lower-division transfer if they have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 in all transferable units attempted.

  1. Will meet the freshman admission requirements (grade point average and subject requirements) in effect for the term to which they are applying (see “Freshman Requirements” section); or
  2. Were eligible as a freshman at the time of high school graduation except for missing college preparatory subject requirements, have been in continuous attendance in an accredited college since high school graduation, and have made up the missing subject requirements with a 2.0 or better GPA.

Note: Applicants who graduated from high school prior to 1988 should contact the admission office to inquire about alternative admission programs.

Lower-division applicants who did not complete subject requirements while in high school may make up missing subjects in any of the following ways:

  1. Complete appropriate courses with a C or better in adult school or high school summer sessions.
  2. Complete appropriate college courses with a C or better. One college course of at least three semester or four quarter units will be considered equivalent to one year of high school study.
  3. Earn acceptable scores on specified examinations, e.g., SAT subject tests.

Please  consult  with  the  CSU  campus  admission  office to  which  you  are  applying  for  further information about alternative ways to satisfy the subject requirements.

Note: Due  to  increased  enrollment  demands,  most  CSU  campuses  do  not  admit  lower-division  transfer applicants.

Upper-Division Transfer Requirements

Generally, applicants will qualify for consideration for upper-division transfer admission if they meet all of the following requirements:

  1. Cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 in all transferable units attempted;
  2. In good standing at the last college or university attended; and
  3. Completed at least sixty (60) transferable semester (90 quarter) units of college level coursework with a grade point average of 2.0 or higher and a grade C or better in each course used to meet the CSU general education requirements in written communication, oral communication, critical thinking, and quantitative reasoning, e.g. mathematics.

The 60 units must include at least 30 units of courses, which meet CSU general education requirement, including all of the general education requirements in communication in the English language (both oral and written) and critical thinking and the requirement in mathematics/quantitative reasoning (usually 3 semester units) OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) requirements in English communication and mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning.

Associate Degrees for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T)

The Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) and the Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) degrees offered at the California Community Colleges (CCC) are designed to provide a California community college student a clear transfer preparation and admission pathway to the CSU degree majors.

California Community College students who earn an associate degree for transfer (AA-T or AS-T) are guaranteed admission with junior standing to a CSU and given priority admission over other transfer applicants when applying to a local CSU campus, or non-impacted CSU program. AA-T or AS-T admission applicants are given priority consideration to an impacted campus/program or to campuses/programs that have been deemed similar to the degree completed at the community college. Students who have completed an AA-T/AS-T in a program deemed similar to a CSU major are able to complete remaining requirements for graduation within 60 semester (90 quarter) units. It is the responsibility of the student who has earned an AA-S/AS-T to provide documentation of the degree to the CSU campus.


Transferable Units through the CSU International Program

A student may also apply units earned through the CSU International Programs that meet the criteria outlined in the lower-division and upper-division transfer requirements. No more than half of the 45 units required for the degree may be earned in this manner. If a student also wishes to apply transfer credits to their degree, the total of the transfer and International Program units may not exceed one-half of those required for the degree. If a student completes their capstone experience (thesis, project, or comprehensive examination) while in the International Programs, this must be done under the supervision of at least one Cal State East Bay faculty member.


Transfer Student Provisions

In general, degree requirements are the same, but special provisions safeguard the programs taken by students at California community colleges and other CSU campuses. If you are a transfer student, the following provisions apply.

  1. If you complete G.E. courses approved for transfer to the CSU and they are certified by your California Community College and/or CSU campus (or another campus accepts them and certifies them), Cal State East Bay will accept them to meet the requirements for which they are certified. According to the Code, CSU cannot accept more than 58 quarter units or 39 semester units. In practice, Cal State East Bay accepts 60 quarter (40 semester) units because our three-course, upper division G.E. program is 12 quarter units. 60 plus 12 totals the 72 units required for G.E.
  2. If you complete the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) and it is certified as being complete by your community college, you have satisfied the entire 60-unit lower division G.E. program and have only the three courses, 12-unit, upper division G.E. program to complete. (The IGETC is an all-or-nothing certification; there is no partial certification as in #1 above.)
  3. If you complete any part or all of the U.S. history, U.S. Constitution, and California state and local government requirement at a California community college or other CSU campus and it is certified, Cal State East Bay will accept that certification for completion for all, or part of, the requirement. Contact either the History department or the Political Science department if you have any questions about this requirement
  4. If you successfully completed a course at another university or college that is not certified for the CSU G.E. program, but you believe it meets the criteria listed earlier for a specific requirement, you may request an “exception” on your degree audit. If you believe you have a petitionable course, discuss it with your advisor, with a G.E. advisor in the Academic Advising and Career Education Office, or the G.E. Office. If (s)he agrees, the advisor will submit the exception request for review. After action on your request for an exception, an e-mail to your Horizon account will notify you of the decision. Likewise, if you believe you have a petitionable course for the U.S. history and government requirement, you may request an exception. In this case, go to either the History department or the Political Science department, whichever is appropriate to the course, and review the issue with the department Chair. (Both departments are in the Student and Faculty Services (SF) building.) If the Chair agrees, (s)he will approve the exception and note it on your degree audit.
  5. Cal State East Bay has articulation agreements for all of our majors with all California community colleges. You may view them online at: http://www.assist.org. If you followed one of these major articulation agreements and completed all equivalent lower division work at the community college, your major department will consider your lower division major complete. If you did not follow an articulation agreement, your major department will evaluate your transfer courses individually for equivalence.
  6. Cal State East Bay also maintains pre-approved transfer courses from multiple private and out-of-state colleges. You may view them online at: TES
  7. The graduation writing proficiency requirement (called the University Writing Skills Requirement at Cal State East Bay) is mandatory on all CSU campuses. Cal State East Bay will accept certification of the graduation writing proficiency requirement from any CSU campus. However, we must have written documentation that the entire requirement was satisfied at the other campus where you were enrolled as a matriculated student. (“Matriculation” means regularly enrolled after being admitted to a university.) You cannot, for example, take a writing proficiency test at another campus to meet the UWSR at Cal State East Bay while you are matriculated at CSUEB.

Note: Although you can complete a sizable portion of your graduation requirements at other colleges and universities, do not forget the residence requirements previously listed. They must be satisfied while matriculated and enrolled at Cal State East Bay.


Provisional (Conditional) Admission for Transfer Students

Cal State East Bay may provisionally or conditionally admit transfer applicants based on their academic preparation and courses planned for completion. The campus will monitor the final terms to ensure that those admitted complete all required courses satisfactorily. All accepted applicants are required to submit an official transcript of all college level work completed. Campuses may rescind admission for any student who is found to be ineligible after the final transcript has been evaluated. In no case may such documents be received and validated by the university any later than a student’s registration for their second term of CSU enrollment.

Note: Applicants will qualify for regular (non-conditional) admission when the university verifies that they have graduated and have received a high school diploma, have a qualifying minimum eligibility index, have completed the comprehensive pattern of college preparatory “a-g” subjects, and, if applying to an impacted program or campus, have met all required supplemental criteria.


Transfer Credit Information

New undergraduate transfer students will automatically receive an official GE evaluation of all transfer courses from the Office of the Registrar before the end of their second term after admission.  In consultation with a GE advisor, they can subsequently track their degree progress through the online degree audit in MyCSUEB.  Contact the Office of the Registrar from any questions about the general education portion of the online audit.


International Admission Information

International Admissions Office

All matters pertaining to the admission of international students are handled by the International Admissions Office. Students from other countries should consult with the International Admissions Office regarding visas, eligibility for employment, and any special academic requirements.

The CSU must assess the academic preparation of foreign students. For this purpose, “foreign students” include those who hold U.S. temporary visas as students, exchange visitors, or in other non-immigrant classifications. Cal State East Bay uses separate requirements and application filing dates in the admission of “foreign students”. Verification of English proficiency (see below), financial resources, and academic performance are each important considerations for admission.

Prospective Graduate Students

Graduate applicants must hold a degree equivalent to a four-year bachelor’s degree obtained from a recognized university. You must also have the equivalent of a 2.50 grade point average, or higher, in your last two years of college-level courses.


Center for International Education

Center for International Education University websiteInternational Students should contact the Center for International Education (cie@csueastbay.edu) for information on matters affecting visa status, eligibility for employment, and any special academic requirements for international students.

CIE - (SAS,OTHER) International Education & Student Exchange Programs  


International Admission Requirements

General Requirements for All Applicants

Cal State East Bay must assess the academic preparation of international students. For this purpose, “international students” include those who hold U.S. visas as students, exchange visitors, or in other nonimmigrant classifications. California residents and U.S. citizens with international transcripts are also classified as “international students” for admission evaluation purposes.
There are separate requirements for the admission of international students. Verification of English proficiency, financial resources, and academic performance are all important considerations for admission. Each applicant must have a declared educational objective (major) when the application is filed.
Priority in admission is given to residents of California for majors that are impacted or for programs with limited openings.


Enrollment Requirements for F-1/J-1 Visa Students

When admitted to Cal State East Bay, international students are expected to comply with all regulations of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services pertaining to international students as well as those of the university.

F-1/J-1 international students should contact the Center for International Education (cie@csueastbay.edu) for information on matters affecting visa status, eligibility for employment, and any special academic requirements for international students.


Application Filing Periods & Deadlines for International Students

The university has established deadlines to ensure that all application materials will be processed in time to allow international students to make the necessary passport, visa, travel, and other arrangements to reach the campus before the start of the quarter of admission. Current deadlines applicable to international student admission can be found on the university website or by contacting the International Admissions Office: iao@csueastbay.edu


First-time Freshmen

If you received your preparatory education outside the U.S., you must have completed the equivalent of 12 years of elementary and secondary schooling with the equivalent of a “B” average or higher. ACT or SAT test scores are not required of international students who completed their secondary schooling outside the U.S. International students who graduated from a U.S. high school must meet the same requirements as U.S. citizens.


Transfer of University-Level Work from Outside the US

Transfer students with university-level work earned outside the U.S. will be accepted if the overall grade point average of that work is equivalent to the stated minimum grade point average requirements for admission. Transfer credit for university-level course work earned outside of the U.S. will be awarded after a course-by-course evaluation by the International Admissions Office.


Academic Records

Certificates, diplomas, mark sheets, transcripts, and test scores must be sent directly from the issuing institution to the International Admissions Office to be considered official. The International Admissions Office reserves the right to determine what constitutes an official document. Certified English translations must accompany all non-English original documents. Documents submitted are the property of Cal State East Bay and will not be returned.


Financial Certification

International students who wish to apply for a student visa must demonstrate financial support before a letter of admission or an “I-20” or “DS-2019” form will be issued. The following forms must be submitted: I-20 Letter of Consent, Declaration of Finances, and Health Insurance Compliance. These forms can be downloaded from the “Apply Online” option on the university website.


Other Non-U.S. Citizens

Admission eligibility for students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents, and are not on student visas, will be based upon the same standards applied to international students who are on student visas. You are expected to have proficiency in the English language sufficient to meet the academic standards of individual courses and the university English proficiency requirements. Evidence of proficiency in English is the same as for international students.