May 21, 2024  
2017-2018 CSU East Bay Catalog 
2017-2018 CSU East Bay Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Fees & Financial Services

A variety of financial services are offered to students and staff, including cashier services, the sale of parking decals, and the processing of registration payments.  The student financial services offices also assist students with their financial aid and scholarship payment disbursement questions, and accept authorizations to bill third party sponsors for student registration fees.  The main office of Accounting and Fiscal Services is located in the Student Services and Administration building (SA), 2nd Floor.  The Cashier’s Office is located in the SA, 1st Floor and is open weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except Friday, the hours are 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  There is a secured drop box located in the front of the Cashiers’ office for those wishing to drop off payments after normal business hours.  The Cashiers’ office accepts checks, cash and money orders only.  Credit cards are NOT accepted at the Cashiers’ office; however, students may pay their registration fees online with SmartPay using their American Express, Discover, Visa, or MasterCard with a 2.9% convenience fee.  You may also choose to pay with an electronic check free of charge.  Consult your MyCSUEB for additional payment information.


Non-Resident Tuition

Schedule of Undergraduate Registration Fees

Miscellaneous Course Fees

Other Fees Payable upon Service

University Extension (Continuing Education) Fees

Acceptable Methods of Payment

Financial Services

University Fees and Debts Policy

Financial Aid Services

Information on Financial Assistance

Refund of Mandatory Fees (Including Non-Resident Tuition)

Refund Regulations

California Code for Fee Waivers & Exemptions

Procedure for Establishing or Abolishing Campus-Based Mandatory Fees

Cal State University’s Average Support Cost


Nonresident Tuition

Link to the University website: prospective students cost & financial aid pageNonresident Tuition (in addition to basic tuition and systemwide fees charged all students), for quarter campuses, per unit is $264.

Mandatory systemwide tuition is waived for those individuals who qualify for such exemption under the provisions of the California Education Code (see California Code for Fee Waivers & Exemptions in this chapter).

Note: The total nonresident tuition paid per quarter will be determined by the number of units taken. Fees are subject to change without advance notice.


Schedule of Undergraduate Tuition & Fees

Cashier's Office WebsiteThe CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. Tuition and fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, CSU must reserve the right, even after initial payments are made, to increase or modify any listed tuition or fees. All listed fees, other than mandatory systemwide tuition, are subject to change without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester or quarter has begun. All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by the Board of Trustees, the Chancellor, or the Presidents, as appropriate. Changes in mandatory systemwide tuition will be made in accordance with the requirements of the Working Families Student Fee Transparency and Accountability Act (Sections 66028 - 66028.6 of the Education Code).

The following schedule reflects applicable systemwide tuition & fees for quarter campuses and applies only to students who do not hold a bachelor’s degree. If you already hold a bachelor’s degree, regardless of your current educational objective, you will pay the fees listed in the Graduate Fees section of this chapter.

All Students:

Application Fee (nonrefundable), payable by check or money order at the time application is made: $55

Undergraduate Tuition & Fees, effective Fall 2017 1,2
  0.1 to 6.0 Units 6.1 or More Units
Tuition Fee* $1,110 $1,914
Student Body Fee 43 43
Facilities Fee 2 2
University Union Fee 55 55
University Union Recreational Fee 65 65
Instructionally Related Activities Fee 8 8
Health Services Fee 75 75
Athletics Fee 35 35
Academic Excellence Fee 80 80
Photo I.D. (quarterly fee) 1 1
Total $1,474 $2,278

1.Fee adjustments subject to the policies established in Executive Order 661.

2.Disclaimer - Cost of Collection: Unpaid Tuition and Fees. You are subject to normal collection actions for unpaid debts including: assessment of late registration and past due fees, withholding of University services, withholding of credit for and disenrollment from some or all classes, referral of the debt to a collection agency and/or credit reporting agency, intercept of amounts due you from the State of California and/or legal action. You are obligated to pay all costs of collection, including attorney fees, collection agency fees and court costs (Please see Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Sections 42380 and 42381).

*Note: The Tuition Fee for the academic year (three quarters) is $4,422 for 0.1 to 6.0 units a quarter and $6,834 for 6.1 or more units a quarter. The total fees paid per quarter will be determined by the number of units taken, including those in excess of fifteen.


Miscellaneous Course Fees

You may have to pay a miscellaneous course fee for instructional materials and field trips for some courses. If courses have such fees, it is noted in their course descriptions in this catalog. Also refer to the MyCSUEB for additional information and specific fee schedules for these courses.

CSU reserves the right, even after initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees, without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular quarter has begun. All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by The Board of Trustees


Other Fees Payable Upon Service

Other Fees (payable when service is rendered)
Fee Amount
Late registration fee $25
Failure to meet administratively-required time limit $20
Graduation and diploma fee ** $52
Lost ID card fee $10
Returned check $25
Parking fee per quarter: Auto $130
Parking fee per quarter: Motorcycle $65
Official transcript of record (single) $4
Additional transcripts prepared at same time up to ten (2-10) $2(each)
Additional transcripts prepared at same time after first ten (11+) $1(each)
Unofficial transcript of record $2(each)
Items lost or broken COST
Test fees COST
Laboratory and/or activity fee COST
Certificate program fee $4
Entry Level Math (ELM) Exam $18
English Placement Test (EPT) $18
Writing Skills Test (WST) $25
Limited Administration of WST (guaranteed computer) $50
Miscellaneous Course fee $50-$500
Note: ** The graduation fee does not include the cost of cap and gown rental.



University Extension (Continuing Education) Fees

Continuing Education websiteNonresident Tuition is not charged for Continuing Education or Open University courses. Fees for Cal State East Bay Continuing Education courses vary, depending on the type of course selected. Visit the Continuing Education website at for the latest information on fees for specific courses, as well as detailed descriptions of programs and courses. 

See UEX - (GLANC) University Extension Programs  for more information about their programs.


Acceptable Methods of Payment

Go to the MyCSUEB Website here!Credit Cards, Cash, Check

You may use credit cards, cash, or check for payment of tuition & fees. See the current MyCSUEB for additional information. The following credit cards are accepted:

  • American Express,
  • Discover,
  • Visa, and
  • MasterCard
Installment Payment Plans

Installment Payment Plans have been authorized if you are assessed Nonresident Tuition or Tuition Fees. See the current MyCSUEB for additional information about payment plans.

Payment of Special Fees

The Cashier in the lobby of the Student Services and Administration building accepts in-person cash or check payments for all fees due to Cal State East Bay, such as registration, lab, breakage, test, and parking fees. (Most payments can also be mailed.)

For more information and important dates see the Information About Paying Fees page on the University website. 


Financial Services

Fees and Debts Owed Policy

Should a student or former student fail to pay a fee or a debt owed to the institution, including tuition and student charges, the institution may “withhold permission to register, to use facilities for which a fee is authorized to be charged, to receive services, materials, food or merchandise or any combination of the above from any person owing a debt” until the debt is paid (see Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Sections 42380 and 42381).

Prospective students who register for courses offered by the University are obligated for the payment of charges and fees associated with registration for those courses. Failure to cancel registration in any course for an academic term prior to the first day of the academic term gives rise to an obligation to pay student charges and fees including any tuition for the reservation of space in the course.

The institution may withhold permission to register or to receive official transcripts of grades or other services offered by the institution from anyone owing fees or another debt to the institution. The institution may also report the debt to a credit bureau, offset the amount due against any future state tax refunds due the student, refer the debt to an outside collection agency and/or charge the student actual and reasonable collection costs, including reasonable attorney fees if litigation is necessary, in collecting any amount not paid when due.

If a person believes he or she does not owe all or part of an asserted unpaid obligation, that person may contact the campus business office. The business office, or another office on campus to which the business office may refer the person, will review all pertinent information provided by the person and available to the campus and will advise the person of its conclusions.


Financial Aid Services

Student Administration BuildingThe Financial Aid Services department coordinates all university-administered financial aid programs. You may obtain financial aid information and assistance in the Student Enrollment Information Center (1st floor of Student Services and Administration Building).

Financial Aid Applications

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available on the web at: You are strongly encouraged to complete the FAFSA each year by the March 2 priority filing date. The FAFSA helps determine your eligibility for grants, Work-Study, and loans. Eligibility for limited funds is determined by financial need and FAFSA priority filing. If you are a California resident, you may also apply for a Cal Grant by completing the FAFSA and asking your school to submit your grade point average (GPA) to the California Student Aid Commission by March 2 for high school/college students, and September 2 for California Community College transfer students. AB540 students may apply for California State Aid, including Cal Grants, by completing the Dream Application. Information on the Dream Act and a link to the Dream Application may be found at: Dream Act and Application

Note: The federal Military Selective Service Act requires most males between the ages of 18 and 25, who reside in the United States, to register with the Selective Service System. If you are subject to the Act and fail to register, you are ineligible to receive all student aid funded by the federal student aid, state sources, or a public post-secondary institution. See “Military Selective Service Act” in the Military & Veterans Information & Services  for additional information.

Academic Progress

Financial aid recipients are required to meet academic and degree progress standards set forth in the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy. The Financial Aid Office measures academic progress at the end of each term after grades are finalized. You may review the full policy at: Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

Loans and Grants

If you demonstrate financial aid need, you may be eligible for loans or grants.  You will be considered for one or more of the following programs:

  • Pell Grant,
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant,
  • State University Grant,
  • Cal Grant A or B,
  • Work-Study,
  • Perkins Loan,
  • Direct Subsidized Loan,
  • Parent PLUS Loan, and
  • Graduate PLUS Loan.

You may qualify for Middle Class Scholarship, Unsubsidized Direct Loan, Parent PLUS Loan, and Teach Grant without demonstrating need. Graduate Students are ineligible for Subsidized Direct Loans.

Work-Study Program

Work-Study is earned through part-time employment in on-campus and certain off-campus jobs. Federal Work Study (FWS) is a form of financial aid largely provided by federal funding. A student must apply for financial aid each year to become eligible for the award, or to keep working in their current Work Study job. Eligible FWS students earn money by working a limited number of hours per week at a pre-approved FWS site location. Employment may be found on or off campus with employers that have arranged in advance to offer FWS positions to CSUEB students. If you are eligible, Work-Study employment can assist you in meeting your educational expenses without incurring indebtedness. Financial Aid will use the information provided on your FAFSA to determine your eligibility for Work-Study.


You may obtain information on scholarship opportunities from Financial Aid and from major departments. Both on and off-campus scholarship information is available on the university’s web site. Admitted Students may use the new on-line Pioneer Scholarships application to apply for all East Bay scholarships.

Short-Term Loans

Financial Aid and Student Financial Services also administer the University’s short-term Emergency Loan Program and the intermediate term Foreign Student Loan Program. You are not required to apply for financial aid to receive these interest free loans. Emergency Loans may not be used to pay university charges and are usually limited to $300 with repayment due in 30 days. If you are a non-U.S. citizen, you may apply for a maximum of $200 with repayment due within 9 months

(Also see “Fee Waivers for Senior Citizens” under the University website Special Program Registration Procedures - Over Sixty Program)

You may obtain additional information on eligibility requirements for financial assistance, and the criteria used to distribute aid among eligible applicants who enroll at Cal State East Bay, from the Financial Aid Department.


Availability of Institutional and Financial Assistance Information

Image of directional arrow.Under the direction of  Executive Director Rhonda C. Johnson, the Office of Financial Aid coordinates financial assistance for students at Cal State East Bay. The following information is available from the Enrollment Information Center in the first floor lobby of the Student Services and Administration building. Students may also call Financial Aid at (510) 885-2784.

The following information concerning student financial assistance may be obtained from the Office of Financial Aid:

  • A description of the federal, state, institutional, local, and private student financial assistance programs available to students who enroll at Cal State East Bay;
  • For each aid program, a description of procedures and forms by which students apply for assistance, student eligibility requirements, criteria for selecting recipients from the group of eligible applicants, and criteria for determining the amount of a student’s award;
  • A description of the rights and responsibilities of students receiving financial assistance, including federal Title IV student assistance programs, and criteria for continued student eligibility under each program;
  • The satisfactory academic progress standards that students must maintain for the purpose of receiving financial assistance and criteria by which a student who has failed to maintain satisfactory progress may reestablish eligibility for financial assistance;
  • The method by which financial assistance disbursements will be made to students and the frequency of those disbursements;
  • The way the school provides for Pell-eligible students to obtain or purchase required books and supplies by the seventh day of a payment period and how the student may opt out;
  • The terms of any loan received as part of the student’s financial aid package, a sample loan repayment schedule, and the necessity for repaying loans;
  • The general conditions and terms applicable to any employment provided as part of the student’s financial aid package;
  • The terms and conditions of the loans students receive under the Direct Loan and Perkins Loan Programs;
  • The exit counseling information the school provides and collects for student borrowers; and
  • Contact information for campus offices available for disputes concerning federal, institutional and private loans.

Students who receive financial aid funds must consult with the Office of Financial Aid prior to withdrawing from the university regarding any required return or repayment of grant or loan assistance received for that academic term or payment period. Students who have received financial aid and withdraw from the institution during the academic term or payment period may need to return or repay some or all of the funds received, which may result in a debt owed to the institution.


Under the direction of Flo Olney, Student Financial Services Manager (510) 885-3767 ( the following Cal State East Bay information is available:

  • Information concerning the cost of attending is available and includes tuition and fees; the estimated costs of books and supplies; estimates of typical student room, board, and transportation costs; and, if requested, additional costs for specific programs.
  • Information concerning the refund policies of for the return of unearned tuition and fees or other refundable portions of institutional charges.
  • Information concerning policies regarding the return of federal Title IV student assistance funds as required by regulation.

Information regarding special facilities and services available to students with disabilities may be obtained from:

Information concerning Cal State East Bay policies, procedures, and facilities for students and other to report criminal actions or other emergencies occurring on campus may be obtained from: CSUEB Title IX Coordinator; Terri Labeaux, Risk Management and Internal Control, 510-885-4918.

Information concerning Cal State East Bay annual campus security report and annual fire safety report may be obtained from:

Information concerning the prevention of drug and alcohol abuse and rehabilitation programs may be obtained from:

Information regarding student retention and graduation rates at Cal State East Bay and, if available, the number and percentage of students completing the program in which the student is enrolled or has expressed interest may be obtained from:

Information concerning athletic opportunities available to male and female students and the financial resources and personnel that Cal State East Bay dedicates to its men’s and women’s teams may be obtained from:

Information concerning teacher preparation programs at Cal State East Bay, including the pass rate on teacher certification examinations, may be obtained from:

Information concerning grievance procedures for students who feel aggrieved in their relationships with the university, its policies, practices and procedures, or its faculty and staff may be obtained from: Rebekah Rhodes, Director of Student Conduct, Rights and Responsibilities, (510) 885-3763 (

Information concerning student activities that Cal State East Bay provides, must be easily accessible on:

Information concerning student body diversity at Cal State East Bay, including the percentage of enrolled, full-time students who are (1) male, (2) female, (3) Pell Grant recipients, and (4) self-identified members of a specific racial or ethnic group, must be obtained from: Student Affairs, (510) 885-3646 (

The federal SES-MCC - (M&VS) Military Selective Service Act  (the “Act”) requires most males residing in the United States to present themselves for registration with the Selective Service System within 30 days of their 18th birthday. Most males between the ages of 18 and 25 must be registered. Males born after December 31, 1959, may be required to submit a statement of compliance with the Act and regulations in order to receive any grant, loan, or work assistance under specified provisions of existing federal law. In California, students subject to the Act who fail to register are also ineligible to receive any need-based student grants funded by the state or a public postsecondary institution.

Selective Service registration forms are available at any U.S. Post Office, and many high schools have a staff member or teacher appointed as a Selective Service Registrar. Applicants for financial aid can also request that information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) be used to register them with the Selective Service. Information on the Selective Service System is available and the registration process may be initiated online at


Refund of Mandatory Fees, Including Non-Resident Tuition

Regulations governing the refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, for students enrolling at the California State University are included in Section 41802 of Title 5, California Code of Regulations. For purposes of the refund policy, mandatory fees are defined as those systemwide and campus fees that are required to be paid in order to enroll in state-supported academic programs at the California State University. Refunds of fees and tuition charges for self-support, special session, and continuing education programs or courses at the California State University are governed by a separate policy established by the University.

In order to receive a full refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, a student must cancel registration or drop all courses prior to the first day of instruction for the term. Information on procedures and deadlines for canceling registration and dropping classes is available on your MyCSUEB.

For state-supported semesters, quarters, and non-standard terms or courses of four (4) weeks or more, a student who withdraws during the term in accordance with the University’s established procedures or drops all courses prior to the campus-designated drop period will receive a refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, based on the portion of the term during which the student was enrolled. No student withdrawing after the 60 percent point in the term will be entitled to a refund of any mandatory fees or nonresident tuition. 

A student who, within the campus designated drop period and in accordance with the campus procedures, drops units resulting in a lower tuition and/or mandatory fee obligation shall be entitled to a refund of applicable tuition and mandatory fees less an administrative charge established by the campus.

For state-supported non-standard terms or courses of less than four (4) weeks, no refunds of mandatory fees and nonresident tuition will be made unless a student cancels registration or drops all classes, in accordance with the University’s established procedures and deadlines, prior to the first day of instruction for state-supported non-standard terms or courses or prior to the first meeting for courses of less than four (4) weeks.

Students will also receive a refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, under the following circumstances:

  • The fees were assessed or collected in error;
  • The University canceled the course for which the fees were assessed or collected;
  • The University makes a delayed decision that the student was not eligible to enroll in the term for which mandatory fees were assessed and collected and the delayed decision was not due to incomplete or inaccurate information provided by the student; or
  • The student was activated for compulsory military service.

Students who are not entitled to a refund as described above may petition the university for a refund demonstrating exceptional circumstances and the chief financial officer of the University or designee may authorize a refund if he or she determines that the fees and tuition were not earned by the University.

Information concerning any aspect of the refund of fees may be obtained from the Cashiers Office, 1st Floor, Student Services and Administration Building, (510) 885-3865.


Refund Regulations

Refund disbursements are not made automatically. If you request a refund check (see below) and it is approved, it will be available in approximately four to six weeks.

If you are eligible for a refund of Registration fees (including nonresident tuition) because you withdrew or reduced units before the published deadlines, the amount of the refund will automatically be credited to your university account. If you take no action, the university will leave the balance on your account to apply toward future charges.

A few refund situations are listed below for your information.

  • If you find it necessary to withdraw officially from Cal State East Bay, you may be eligible for a partial refund of your Registration fees. Also, see 3) below. A “Refund Request” form is available at the Cashier’s on the first floor of Student Service Building or in the Concord Campus Academic Services Lobby. 
  • If you withdraw before the first day of instruction for the term, all quarterly fees, including the Facilities fee, Instructionally Related Activities fee, Associated Students fee, Health Services fee and University Union fee are refunded in full. A $10.00 processing fee will be assessed if a refund check is generated. Information on procedures and deadlines for canceling registration and dropping classes is available in the MyCSUEB. The Late Registration fee is not refundable except when due to university error.
  • If you have been called to active military duty and, as a result, find it necessary to withdraw from Cal State East Bay, you are eligible for a refund of fees. You must file a “Refund Request” form available at the Cashier’s on the first floor of Student Service Building with a copy of the orders. 
  • Refunds owed to financial aid recipients will be used to repay the funds from which the student has received financial aid.

Information concerning the refund policy of Cal State East Bay for the return of unearned tuition and fees or other refundable portions of costs is available from the Accounting and Fiscal Services Office, (510) 885-3767.


Fee Waivers & Exemptions

The California Education Code provides for the waiver of mandatory systemwide tuition fees as follows:

Section 66025.3 -Dependent eligible to receive assistance under Article 2 of Chapter 4 of Division 4 of the Military and Veterans Code; child of veteran of the United States military who has a service-connected disability, has been killed in service, or has died of a service-connected disability, and meets specified income provisions; dependent, or surviving spouse (who has not remarried) of a member of the California National Guard who, in the line of duty, and while in the active service of the state, was killed, died of a disability resulting from an event that occurred while in the active service of the state, or is permanently disabled as a result of an event that occurred while in the active service of the state; and undergraduate student who is a recipient of a Medal of Honor, or undergraduate student who is a child of a receipient of a Medal of Honor who is no more than 27 years old, meets the income restriction and California residency requirement.

Section 66602 - Qualifying students from the California State University that are appointed by the Governor to serve as Trustees of the California State University for two-year terms.

Section 68120 - Surviving spouse or child of a deceased public law enforcement or fire suppression and prevention employee who was California resident and was killed in the performance of active law enforcement or fire suppression and prevention duties (referred to as Alan Pattee Scholarships), must enrolls as an undergraduate student at the California State University and meets income restriction requirement.

Section 68121 - Qualifying students enrolled in an undergraduate program who are the surviving dependent of any individual killed in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City, the Pentagon building in Washington, D.C., or the crash of United Airlines Flight 93 in southwestern Pennsylvania, if the student meets the financial need requirements set forth in Section 69432.7 for the Cal Grant A Program and either the surviving dependent or the individual killed in the attacks was a resident of California on September 11, 2001.

Students who may qualify for the above benefits should contact the Admissions/Registrar’s Office for further information and/or an eligibility determination.

The California Education Code provides for the following nonresident tuition exemptions:

Section 68075.7 - Nonresident students are exempt from paying nonresident tuition or any other fee that is exclusively applicable to nonresident students if they:

  • (1) reside in California,
  • (2) meet the definition of “covered individual” as defined in subsection (c) of Section 3679 of Title 38 of the United States Code, as that provision read on July 1, 2015; and
  • (3) are eligible for education benefits under either the federal Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty program or the Post-9/11 GI Bill program as each read on July 1, 2015.

Section 68122 - Students who are victims of trafficking, domestic violence, and other serious crimes who have been granted T or U visa status shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition to the same extent as individuals who are admitted to the United States as refugees under Section 1157 of Title 8 of the United States Code

Section 68130.5 - Students who are not residents of California are exempt from paying nonresident tuition if they:

  • (1) (a) attended high school in California for three or more years, or (b) attained credits earned from a California high school equivalent to three or more years of full-time high school coursework and a total of three or more years of attendance in California elementary schools, California secondary schools, or a combination of those schools;
  • (2) graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent; and
  • (3) registered as an entering student or are currently enrolled at a CSU campus.

In addition, students without lawful immigration status will be required to file an affidavit stating that they have filed an application to legalize their immigration status, or will file an application as soon as they are eligible to do so. This exemption from paying nonresident tuition does not apply to students who are non-immigrant aliens within the meaning of 8 United States Code 1101(a)(15), except as provided by Section 68122 above.

Additional exceptions from nonresident tuition, include:
  1. Persons below the age of 19 whose parents were residents of California but who left the state while the student, who remained, was still a minor. When the minor reaches age 18, the exception continues until the student has resided in the state the minimum time necessary to become a resident.

  2. Minors who have been present in California with the intent of acquiring residence for more than a year before the residence determination date, and entirely self-supporting for that period of time. The exception continues until the student has resided in the state the minimum time necessary to become a resident.

  3. Persons below the age of 19 who have lived with and been under the continuous direct care and control of an adult or adults, not a parent, for the two years immediately preceding the residence determination date. Such adult must have been a California resident for the most recent year. The exception continues until the student has resided in the state the minimum time necessary to become a resident.

  4. Dependent children and spouse of persons in active military service stationed in California on the residence determination date. There is no time limitation on this exception unless the military person transfers out of California or retires from military service. If either of those events happen, the student’s eligibility for this exception continues until he or she resides in the state the minimum time necessary to become a resident.

  5. Military personnel in active service stationed in California on the residence determination date for purposes other than education at state-supported institutions of higher education. This exception continues until the military personnel has resided in the state the minimum time necessary to become a resident.

  6. Military personnel in active service in California for more than one year immediately prior to being discharged from the military. Eligibility for this exception runs from the date the student is discharged from the military until the student has resided in state the minimum time necessary to become a resident.

  7. Dependent children of a parent who has been a California resident for the most recent year. This exception continues until the student has resided in the state the minimum time necessary to become a resident, so long as continuous attendance is maintained at an institution.

  8. Graduates of any school located in California that is operated by the United States Bureau of Indian Affairs, including, but not limited to, the Sherman Indian High School. The exception continues so long as continuous attendance is maintained by the student at an institution.

  9. Certain credentialed, full-time employees of California school districts.

  10. Full-time CSU employees and their children and spouse; State employees assigned to work outside the State and their children and spouse. This exception continues until the student has resided in the state the minimum time necessary to become a California resident.

  11. Children of deceased public law enforcement or fire suppression employees who were California residents and who were killed in the course of law enforcement or fire suppression duties.

  12. Certain amateur student athletes in training at the United States Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, California. This exception continues until the student has resided in the state the minimum time necessary to become a resident.

  13. Federal civil service employees and their natural or adopted dependent children if the employee has moved to California as a result of a military mission realignment action that involves the relocation of at least 100 employees. This exception continues until the student has resided in the state the minimum time necessary to become a resident.

  14. State government legislative or executive fellowship program enrollees. The student ceases to be eligible for this exception when he or she is no longer enrolled in the qualifying fellowship.

For Additional Information

Students who may qualify for any of these benefits listed above should contact Enrollment Management for further information on the specific requirements and/or an eligibility determination.


Procedure for Establishing or Abolishing of Campus-Based Mandatory Fees

The law governing the California State University provides that specific campus fees defined as mandatory, such as a student association fee and a student center fee, may be established. A student association fee must be established upon a favorable vote of two-thirds of the students voting in an election held for this purpose (Education Code, Section 89300). The campus President may adjust the student association fee only after the fee adjustment has been approved by a majority of students voting in a referendum established for that purpose. The required fee shall be subject to referendum at any time upon the presentation of a petition to the campus President containing the signatures of 10 percent of the regularly enrolled students at the University. Student association fees support a variety of cultural and recreational programs, childcare centers, and special student support programs. A student center fee may be established only after a fee referendum is held which approves by a two-thirds favorable vote the establishment of the fee (Education Code, Section 89304). Once bonds are issued, authority to set and adjust student center fees is governed by provisions of the State University Revenue Bond Act of 1947, including, but not limited to, Education Code sections 90012, 90027, and 90068.

The process to establish and adjust other campus-based mandatory fees requires consideration by the campus fee advisory committee and a student referendum as established by Executive Order 1102, Section III. The campus President may use alternate consultation mechanisms if he/she determines that a referendum is not the best mechanism to achieve appropriate and meaningful consultation. Results of the referendum and the fee committee review are advisory to the campus President. The President may adjust campus-based mandatory fees but must request the Chancellor to establish a new mandatory fee. The President shall provide to the campus fee advisory committee a report of all campus-based mandatory fees. The campus shall report annually to the Chancellor a complete inventory of all campus-based mandatory fees.

For more information or questions, please contact the Budget Office in the CSU Chancellor’s Office at (562) 951-4560.


CSU’s Average Support Cost Per Full-Time Equivalent Student & Fund Sources

The total support cost per full-time equivalent student (FTES) includes the expenditures for current operations, including payments made to students in the form of financial aid, and all fully reimbursed programs contained in state appropriations. The average support cost is determined by dividing the total cost by the number of FTES. The total CSU 2016/17 budget amounts were $3,169,425,000 from state General Fund (GF) appropriations and before adding $36.8 million CalPERS retirement adjustment, $1,685,885,000 from tuition fee revenue and after tuition fee discounts (forgone revenue), and $528,555,000 from other fee revenues for a total of $5,383,865,000.  The 2016/17 resident FTES target is 361,644 and the nonresident FTES based on past-year actual is 22,552 for a total of 384,196 FTES. The GF appropriation is applicable to resident students only whereas fee revenues are collected from resident and nonresident students. FTES is determined by dividing the total academic student load (e.g. 15 units per semester) (the figure used here to define a full-time student’s academic load).

The 2016/17 average support cost per FTES based on GF appropriation and net tuition fee revenue only is $13,152 and when including all sources as indicated below is $14,528, which includes all fee revenue (e.g. tuition fees, application fees, and other campus mandatory fees) in the CSU Operating Fund. Of this amount, the average net tuition and other fee revenue per FTES is $5,764.

State Appropriation (GF) 1 3,169,425,000 8,764 60.3%
Net Tuition Fee Revenue2 1,685,885,000 4,388 30.2%
Other Fees Revenue2 528,555,000 1,376 9.5%
TOTAL SUPPORT COST 5,383,865,000 14,528 100%

1Represents state GF appropriation in the Budget Act of 2016/17; GF is divisible by resident students only (361,6440 FTES) 

2Represents CSU Operating Fund, Tuition Fee and other fees revenue amounts (net of tuition fee discounts) submitted in campus August 2016/17 final budgets. Revenues are divisible by resident and nonresident students (384,196 FTES). 

The average CSU 2016/17 academic year, resident, undergraduate student basic tuition fee and other Mandatory fees required to apply to, enroll in, or attend the university is $6,881 ($5,472 tuition fee plus $1,409 average campus-based fees). However, the costs paid by individual students will vary depending on campus, program, and whether a student is part-time, full-time, resident, or nonresident.