Education Specialist Credential
The Education Specialist Credential, in either Mild/Moderate Disabilities or Moderate/Severe Disabilities, prepares candidates for a career in teaching, additional service delivery, implementation of supports and leadership roles in special education. Content courses containing the latest in research and evidence-based practices and fieldwork experiences provide candidates with a wide range of practical methods for enhancing the lives of individuals with exceptional needs, their families and communities. The program provides extensive supervised fieldwork by Cal State East Bay faculty and successful practitioners in settings that are appropriate to a candidate’s professional goals.
While completing the requirements for the Education Specialist credential, candidates will concurrently complete the requirements for the M.S. Special Education program:
Special Education, M.S.: Mild/Moderate Disabilities Concentration
Special Education, M.S.: Moderate/Severe Disabilities Concentration
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- Department Application
- University Application
- Minimum of 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Statement of Purpose
Additional Credential Requirements
- Basic educational skills test approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).
- Pass the Multiple Subject California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET) or obtain a waiver for the CSET by completing an approved subject matter preparation program at a CSU.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- U.S. Constitution course or exam.
- Certificate of Clearance.
- Tuberculosis test.