Oct 01, 2023
SPED 602B - Low Incidence Disabilities: Characteristics and Instructional Practices
Characteristics of individuals with low-incidence disabilities Strategies for preparing Education Specialists to provide supports to learners with low-incidence disabilities in educational settings. Low-incidence disabilities include deaf-blindness, traumatic-brain injury, and other health impairments. This course is an online course.
Prerequisites: Enrollment in the Education Specialist Program
Possible Instructional Methods: Entirely Online.
Grading: A-F grading only.
Course Typically Offered: Spring ONLY
Student Learning Outcomes - Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
1. Identify and describe characteristics of learners low-incidence disabilities, including traumatic brain injury, deafblindness, multiple disabilities, orthopedic impairments, and other health impairments, and their impact on learning. TPE 1
2. Describe and critically discuss inclusion of students with low-incidence disabilities across educational settings. TPE 1, TPE 2
3. Identify and describe best practices for supporting learners with low-incidence disabilities including traumatic brain injury, deafblindness, multiple disabilities, orthopedic impairments, and other health impairments. TPE 4
4. Apply knowledge of accommodations and modifications for learners with low-incidence disabilities in lesson plan development. TPE4, TPE 5
5. Identify and describe basic handling and positioning considerations and adaptive equipment use in the classroom. TPE 2
6. Identify strategies to facilitate participation in various school and community settings. TPE 2
Teaching Performance Expectations for Education Specialists
TPE 1 Engaging and Supporting All Students in Learning
TPE 2 Creating and Maintaining Effective Environments for Student Learning
TPE 3 Understanding and Organizing Subject Matter for Student Learning
TPE 4 Planning Instruction and Designing Learning Experiences for All Students
TPE 5 Assessing Student Learning
TPE 6 Developing as a Professional Educator
Add to Folder (opens a new window)