Dec 03, 2023
ES 343 - Black Power
Units: 3 ; Breadth Area: GE-UD-D; Social Justice
Black Power examines the histories of the Black Panther Party for Self-Defense with special emphasis on the regional East Bay manifestations of the movement.
Strongly Recommended Preparation: Upper division status (greater than 60 earned semester units) and completion of lower division Area D1-3 requirements.
Prerequisites: Completion of GE Areas A1, A2, A3 and B4 with grade C- (CR) or better.
Equivalent Quarter Course: ES 3120.
Possible Instructional Methods: Entirely On-ground, or Entirely Online, or Hybrid.
Grading: A-F or CR/NC (student choice).
Breadth Area(s) Satisfied: GE-UD-D - Upper Division Social Sciences, Overlay - Social Justice
Course Typically Offered: Fall ONLY
Student Learning Outcomes - Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Students will be able to apply critical frameworks and key concepts from the Black power era in community service-learning contexts to promote equity and social justice (SLO 1)
- Students will be able to recognize the complexity and heterogeneity and power dynamics within the Black Panther Party, particularly with respect to gender and sexual identity (SLO 3)
UD-D. Upper-division Social Sciences Learning Outcomes
Social Justice Overlay Learning Outcomes
- analyze how power and social identity affect social outcomes for different cultural and economic groups using methods of social science inquiry and vocabulary appropriate to those methods;
- demonstrate an understanding of and ability to apply accurately disciplinary concepts of the social or behavioral sciences; and
- demonstrate an understanding of and ability to effectively plan or conduct research using an appropriate method of the social or behavioral sciences.
- use a disciplinary perspective to analyze issues of social justice and equity;
- describe the challenges to achieving social justice; and
- identify ways in which individuals and/or groups can contribute to social justice within local communities, nations, or the world.
Add to Folder (opens a new window)