May 31, 2023  
2016-2017 CSU East Bay Catalog 
2016-2017 CSU East Bay Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

University Extension Programs

Continuing Education

University Extension Offices are located in the Student & Faculty Services BuildingContinuing Education at Cal State East Bay features a broad spectrum of courses, certificate programs, and degree programs that complement the University’s regular curriculum, and meet the academic, professional, creative and lifelong learning goals of its diverse community.

CE designs courses to fulfill the needs of current job market trends, enhance professional development, and promote personal enrichment. Offering more than 40 certificate and degree programs in a variety of industries and fields, CE allows you to explore career options and pursue opportunities for advancement.

You may take one or more individual courses, enroll in a certificate program, or attend a seminar or conference. In some cases, academic credit is awarded; while in others, Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are available. In programs designed specifically for personal enrichment, no academic credit is awarded.

American Language Program

The university’s American Language Program provides instruction for international students in academic English and introduces them to American culture. Each year, students from more than 25 countries enroll in the program. After graduating from the American Language Program, international students often enroll as matriculated students in the university.

Open University Concurrent Enrollment

The “Open University” program allows individuals to enroll in regular university classes without being formally admitted to the university. Regularly enrolled resident or non-resident students are not eligible to take Open University courses.

Open University students will be granted “Open University” extension credit for coursework. There are limits on the number of Open University extension units that may be applied toward university degrees. Up to 36 units may be applied towards a baccalaureate degree and up to 13 units for a master’s degree.


Continuing Education registration, in most courses or programs, does not require formal admission to the university. For some programs, however, students may be required to meet certain requirements prior to being eligible to register. Only registration in self-support Special Session classes provides “continuing student” status to admitted, matriculated students.

General Information

Information on courses, programs, and enrollment procedures is available through University Extension’s quarterly bulletin, on the university website (, by phone (510-885-3605), and by e-mail (