Jun 04, 2023  
2018-2019 Cal State East Bay Catalog 
2018-2019 Cal State East Bay Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Credit for Transferred Courses

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Catalog Search

A minimum of seventy (70) percent of the total units required by the degree program must be completed in residence while enrolled as an admitted graduate student at Cal State East Bay.

Note: The number of transferable units for each degree program will be rounded to the nearest whole number of units.

Units taken while at other schools, while an undergraduate with permission to take graduate courses, while pursuing an additional baccalaureate degree in “Unclassified Post-Baccalaureate” status, while enrolled in another graduate degree program, or while enrolled in Continuing Education courses-including Open University courses-do not count as resident units. Courses offered in special session are considered resident units. Please note that individual graduate programs may require more than 70 percent of the required degree units in residence, so check the particular program’s section of this catalog for these requirements.

To request transfer credit:

  • The student must have taken the course after earning a bachelor’s degree;
  • Their department must accept the course(s) as relevant to their degree program;
  • The institution at which the student took the course must customarily grant the level of credit for the course (graduate or upper division) that the student wishes to receive for it at Cal State East Bay;
  • The student must have taken the course within five calendar years immediately preceding the receipt of their degree.

A student may also apply units earned through the CSU International Programs that meet the criteria outlined above. No more than half of the units required for the degree may be earned in this manner. If a student also wishes to apply transfer credits to their degree, the total of the transfer and International Program units may not exceed one-half of those required for the degree. If a student completes their capstone experience (thesis, project, or comprehensive examination) while in the International Programs, this must be done under the supervision of at least one Cal State East Bay faculty member.

In general, Cal State East Bay does not allow the use of credit-by-examination from challenged courses for master’s degree requirements. Exceptions may be established by individual departments and must be noted in the degree description in the University Catalog. They are governed by the following policies:

  • The student must pass the exam challenging the course with a grade of “B-” or better;
  • Not more than 9 units of credit-by-examination may be applied to the degree.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Catalog Search